IGNORED

Shopping for SNOW removal compaies.

Flyinfool

So with my bum foot I can no longer go out to clear snow while on crutches, it just don't work.

Erika also has bum feet and this last snowfall we had she decided that she just can not fill in for me.

Now granted this was not a "normal" snowfall, this one was more like concrete falling from the sky. The storm kept alternating between rain and snow to absolutely maximize the water content and weight until it built up 10 inches of the stuff, and then the temps took a major nose dive to set it up harder than the concrete under it.

So now I am shopping for snow removal companies, going thru the gamete of landscapers that do snow in the winter to supplement their income. I can not find a local kid that wants to make a few bucks.

I do not have a lot to clear, just a 30' section of sidewalk. and a small short side walk off that to the house and the 4 front steps, then a small 5' x 7' spot to get out the back door. It never took me more than 15 minutes to do it all.

All of the landscapers have a $50 minimum per snowfall, this is Wisconsin it can, and often does, snow every other day.:mo money:

Many of the places I called do not want the job because it is to small.

Anyone have any other ideas on where to look for affordable snow shovelers?

This not being able to do stuff for myself is the worst part of this whole ordeal, I just never been there before.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might check your local News Paper in the help wanted classifieds Jeff. Besides the local regular paper we have a small, free, classifieds only paper here called The Buyers Guide that also always has ads of people looking for work. Keep an eye out for "Handy Man Ads" - usually those guys will do about anything.

Our Community College also use to have a huge "Jobs" board (dont know if they still do that - was really big back when I went there), if you have a school nearby you might give a jingle to their Career Resources Dept and see if they have such a thing. Another good one might be a local Church in the area, just call em - tell em your circumstances and see if they have a Youth program looking for some cash for some summer outings.

Around here there is an outfit called CHATS..community home assistance to seniors....my neighbour does snow removal for about 24 seniors thruogh a govt type pay ..sort of like united way...here its based for those that are independent but cant do heavy stuff like snow, grass cutting ,handyman ...cant hurt to ask

Edited by Atoolnut
spelling

I'd check with these folks.

They very well might know of volunteers or help doing things around your place.

Aging Resource Center (ARC) of Milwaukee County (link is external) Toll-Free Phone: resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png(866) 229-9695 FREE

Local Phone: resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png(414) 289-6874

TTY/TDD/Relay: WI Relay 711

Email: aging_webinfo@milwaukeecounty.com

Office Location:

1220 W. Vliet Street, Suite 300

Milwaukee, WI 53205

I'd check with these folks.

They very well might know of volunteers or help doing things around your place.

Aging Resource Center (ARC) of Milwaukee County (link is external)

Toll-Free Phone: resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png(866) 229-9695 FREE

Local Phone: resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png(414) 289-6874

TTY/TDD/Relay: WI Relay 711

Email: aging_webinfo@milwaukeecounty.com

Office Location:

1220 W. Vliet Street, Suite 300

Milwaukee, WI 53205

:rotf: :backinmyday: wud ya say sonny :confused: ya callin me an antique ? :sign isnt that spec

Call the Sheriff's office, they may have a work release program and have a few rehabilitated murders and/or rapists looking to make amends. The worst that could happen is you'll get in a little target practice. :confused24:

:rotf: :backinmyday: wud ya say sonny :confused: ya callin me an antique ? :sign isnt that spec

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Good grief do I LOVE this place :cool10::cool10: That Raggy,, he sure do come up with GREASTEST idea's!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You should do it Jeff,, call the Sheriff and tell em to send ya a couple of gangsters who can shovel and sing. Then when they get there hand em each a shovel and then teach em this little song that we used to sing when I was a kid picking Blueberries.. :big-grin-emoticon:

:lightbulb:Might not be a bad idea to learn it first yourself,,, you could even replace the inventor's name with your own,, "oh mister FlyinFool how could ya be so mean, I told ya you'ld be sorry for inventing that machine"... :big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by cowpuc

I guess all these places are closed on New Years eve.

BUT, BUT BUT,,,,,,,,,,Ifin I turns it off the skiers and snowmobiles will be camped out on my doorstep.

Even our fearless leader @Freebird just knew he had to come to Wisconsin to get in some snowmobiling.

I'm thinking if that infernal machine that flyinfool has had a reverse he could set it so he needed a lawn service rather than snow removal.

Not sure if your foot will let you make the mods. Probably for some beer cowpuc, ragtop and I would come put a reverse switch on for you.

I could come to help out,,,, wonder if my boss would miss a tractor,,,,,, how far did you say it is?? let me know next time it snows, or should I get a residence there somewhere.

Its not far. :whistling:

If you came here you might just like it and stay.:scared:

I think that @cowpuc should be travelin and shovelin for all the crap he sends your way fool

I even tried to offer FREE HOT DOGS and that Cowpuc character has still been suspiciously quiet.

I'm thinking if that infernal machine that flyinfool has had a reverse he could set it so he needed a lawn service rather than snow removal.

Not sure if your foot will let you make the mods. Probably for some beer cowpuc, ragtop and I would come put a reverse switch on for you.

Some how I think there might be a monkey wrench involved here..........

Its not far. :whistling:

If you came here you might just like it and stay.:scared:

I even tried to offer FREE HOT DOGS and that Cowpuc character has still been suspiciously quiet.

Some how I think there might be a monkey wrench involved here..........

:think:Suspicious,,,, possibly.. Quiet,,,, NEVER!!:rotf:

Having spent HOURS hacking away at the latest piles of concrete like White Wash stuff myself here in Michigan and finding not even 1 Hot Dog in there,, I am DEFINITELY suspicious of there being any Hot Dogs in your White Wash either Fool!! :hihi::witch_brew:

Just to add a side note to this story. I grew up in Kansas City MO. Spent 8 years stationed in Anchorage AK, 4 years in Mt. Home, ID. I have shoveled my share of snow. I love the snow, and always wanted to move back to a place with four seasons. Somewhere in my AF career, I met a woman in Jacksonville, FL and married her. We were stationed at Moody AFB (Valdosta) GA. I said when I retire I am moving back to MO to be close to family and four seasons. Well my kids in school, then one thing after another, I kind of grew roots here in the South, but I kept saying one day, I am moving back.

Then my daughter got a full ride scholarship at Ft. Scott, KS. I thought this maybe the sign to get me back, and plus she was only 60 miles from my family. Well three years ago over Thanksgiving we went back to my home town, I was going to look for work, and show my wife how great the mid USA could be. My daughter had a game in the middle of Iowa. So we drove 1000 from warm South GA, to Lee's Summit MO, dropped a dog and the youngest daughter off at my brothers house and took off to Iowa. Well it is 28, it had been snowing and there is light snow coming down, the light is rapidly fading and we are traveling across wide open farm land. My wife says "lets gas up now so we wont have to on our way home." I get out of the car, the wind is a steady 10+ miles an hour. I am dressed in boats, long-johns on legs and upper body, t-shirt, flannel shirt, coat, gloves and hat. Ten gallons couldn't go in that fuel efficient car fast enough, in that short time outside, I froze my ass off. When done I hopped into the car and told my wife to take my happy frozen ass home, she said back to your brothers house, I said hell no, back to South GA where it happens to be 75 degrees when this is happening.

I say all this for this reason, keep your white stuff up there, I will not be up to help shovel, I will be down here in the south, riding year around. I only have one request, shut the door! and keep the cold air up there too. :cool10: It has gotten cool down here . It went from 80s to 40s in one day. :fiddle:

By the way, I am still looking for a big house to turn into a motorcycle bread and breakfast, (of course I am looking for the money for this first) so my Northern motorcycle brothers and sisters can come down and get a break from the cold and do some riding in the winter months.

Ya know Fool,,,, that might be an idea, and Canada might be happy to be rid of me,, now that I'm on Old Age Pension and all,,,, and I do make disturbances every once in a while,,,, but if I do come we'd have to fix some things to make me feel at home, like fix that snow-shooter so so it actually works, I'm thinking with you being laid up that maintenance hasn't been the topmost on your mind or upgrades for that matter. With you're expertise and my wacky ideas there should be plenty of the good stuff to go around, with maybe even a little to spare for our southern partners.

:think:Suspicious,,,, possibly.. Quiet,,,, NEVER!!:rotf:

Having spent HOURS hacking away at the latest piles of concrete like White Wash stuff myself here in Michigan and finding not even 1 Hot Dog in there,, I am DEFINITELY suspicious of there being any Hot Dogs in your White Wash either Fool!! :hihi::witch_brew:

Go back and look, I never said there were HOT DOGS IN the snow. Actually any dogs found in this snow would definitely NOT be hot. I said I was offering free HOT DOGS to those that would help me shovel. I got a big pile of them in the fridge ready to cook up.

I say all this for this reason, keep your white stuff up there, I will not be up to help shovel, I will be down here in the south, riding year around. I only have one request, shut the door! and keep the cold air up there too. :cool10: It has gotten cool down here . It went from 80s to 40s in one day. :fiddle:

By the way, I am still looking for a big house to turn into a motorcycle bread and breakfast, (of course I am looking for the money for this first) so my Northern motorcycle brothers and sisters can come down and get a break from the cold and do some riding in the winter months.

Cold is not my department, after much research we did determine that it is the @Saddlebum character that is responsible for leaving the back door open up der in dat der Canada. I keep trying to close it.

Ya know Fool,,,, that might be an idea, and Canada might be happy to be rid of me,, now that I'm on Old Age Pension and all,,,, and I do make disturbances every once in a while,,,, but if I do come we'd have to fix some things to make me feel at home, like fix that snow-shooter so so it actually works, I'm thinking with you being laid up that maintenance hasn't been the topmost on your mind or upgrades for that matter. With you're expertise and my wacky ideas there should be plenty of the good stuff to go around, with maybe even a little to spare for our southern partners.

That might be fun Carl, Maybe you should come here for a visit. I have a lot of shovels and HOT DOGS.

I will have to continue my search for shovelers on Monday, everyone seems to have been closed for the long weekend.