IGNORED

Heyyyy,, its November 15th,, OPENING DAY OF MICHIGAN"S GUN DEER SEASON!!

cowpuc

Although I hung the gun and bow up a few years ago, I wanna wish ALL you Deer Hunters out there a safe, fun and successful freezer filling season:thumbsup:!! Nail em ya bunch of lop eared meat eaten varmints and remember, the one you get with your 180 grain XTP hollow point will be one less that has the potential of being nailed by one of your buddies on a 5,600,000 grain full metal jacket Yamaha Venture :big-grin-emoticon:

Here in Wisconsin our gun season opens Saturday, the 21st.

I sighted in my guns at the range yesterday, and ended up winning a scope. I'm gonna go and pick it up this morning, then off for another November ride.

This time of year, I'm really watching big time for them critters, and lately there are a bunch dead on the roadside, and they are not the little ones either.

I will be headed up Wednesday to get a start on @cowpucs Michigan deer, then back to Wisconsin for some of our own deer on the 21st.

Then for the rest of the season it will be alternating between MI and WI until all tags are filled.

But a 180 grain is just to big for deer, I prefer my 7mm 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3925 FPS. Any deer within a half mile is gonna be delicious.

Now if I can just get my truck all back together today so it is ready to travel.

We were talking about deer at our sales meeting in Wisconsin last week. Our outside sales rep that works out of Kansas City has been with the company for about 25 years. He has hit 8 deer during that time. I've only hit one and it was about 3 years ago in my personal vehicle about 6 miles from home.

I once got 2 in one day with the truck about 5 miles apart. That old GMC was never damaged by any of the 6 deer it collected in its lifetime of 17 years and a little over 300K miles, but the deer were delicious. Ahh yes, back in the good old days when bumpers were made out of heavy thick steel. My new truck with its plastic front end will suffer some serious damage from a deer.

Where I lived all my life until last spring, Berkeley County SC, deer season opens August 15th and closes Jan 1st.

We use dogs to run 'em outa these thick woods and still have a ton of deer. Not monsters like in the midwest, but still enough to constantly wreak havoc on cars on the roads.

Why open in August, when it's so crazy hot, I have no idea. But that's the way it has always been back home.

Used to hunt a lot, but not at all in the last 10 or so years.

Hope y'all are successful.

I am so irritated this year. Because my shoulders are still screwed up from my June accident, I have not been able to bow hunt. Rifle season comes in one week before I have to get my torn rotator cuff repaired. I usually get 5 or 6 deer a season. This year I will be lucky to get one... :mad: Tell me again why I shouldn't want to beat that truck driver to a pulp!!!! :rant:

Sounds like life around here Gary - I was an avid Deer Hunter not so long ago, both Bow and Gun - lived it and loved it!! I can still hear the echo of my kids voices when they were little saying "no Daddy nooooo,, not "benison" again" :big-grin-emoticon:

It's also peek Whitefish season here on our Channel.. The pier is usually solid people out there trying their luck. :thumbsup:

Heyyyy,, its November 15th,, OPENING DAY OF MICHIGAN"S GUN DEER SEASON!!

To be honest I am not a big fan of GUN/DEER season :backinmyday:. Considering how many innocent deer have been killed by vehicles all year :detective:------The thought of driving along or riding along back country roads and suddenly having :yikes:-------a gun packing deer step out in front of me playing Clint Eastwood in retaliation scares the daylights out of me. :duck:

To be honest I am not a big fan of GUN/DEER season :backinmyday:. Considering how many innocent deer have been killed by vehicles all year :detective:------The thought of driving along or riding along back country roads and suddenly having :yikes:-------a gun packing deer step out in front of me playing Clint Eastwood in retaliation scares the daylights out of me. :duck:

Yea, but cha gotta admit @saddlebum,, that big ole snorting Buck would have a great story to tell his youngens at the dinner table about the Venture riding feller who , after the initial :scared: wore off, stepped off his bike and commenced to :Im not listening totalking him out of shooting him..:big-grin-emoticon:

PS,, it is AMAZING how keeping deer antlers on the front of Tweeks has cut way down on having exactly what you are referring to happening.. If any of you decide to do the same, I have found that the bigger the rack the better the outcome - works far better than the best deer whistles known to man PLUS the bigger they are the faster the smaller deer seem to run and hide :stickpoke:

PS PS,, good one Bum!!:thumbsup:

0f9a9f884b4a4b98bf56836eec7c965c.jpg

I envy those of you that have such plentiful hunting. Here in CA it's not only near impossible to get a deer but the haters are doing everything they can to make hunting a thing of the past.

Good luck to all of you and stay safe out there.

Oh yeah, some pics would be cool.

I envy those of you that have such plentiful hunting. Here in CA it's not only near impossible to get a deer but the haters are doing everything they can to make hunting a thing of the past.

Good luck to all of you and stay safe out there.

Oh yeah, some pics would be cool.

I hear that @uechi kid, IMHO it has a lot to do with population and how things gotta change when people start getting more crowded. I have toured your fine State many times over and am always amazed at how crowded it is and how things are really different there because of it. Another something that really interest me (probably because I have always been a biker at heart) has been the lack of motorcyclist there. Back in 78 I toured Cali on my Harley Low Rider thinking it would be biker haven - pulled into Ventura California singing that old "Then Came Bronson" song,, going down that long lonesome highway and all that.. WOW, was I surprized and in for an eye opener!! Still today I am shocked by the relatively few bikes I see on the road there (cars compared to bikes). One would think the place would be over run by motorcyclist and that biking would be a way of life out there - not so much. It seems like things like legal lane splitting, being able to ride the "Diamond" road, NO RAIN, price of fuel and the GORGEOUS views you guys have would make it so cars would kind of be the rarity - just not so.. Got into a discussion about all that with a Motorcycle Police one time years back and he was telling me that he thinks the lack of bikes has/had to do with the inherent dangers involved with having sooo many people on the roads all the time and, quite frankly, most people really dont like the odds of something bad happening and the guarantee that if you get nailed on a scoot you are the one that loses. Fact is, I think the whole hunting idea has some of the same underlying reasoning as to why folks out there play it down. I know this is all only part of the equation but after seeing it play out first hand, I do have agree with the Officer.

I KNOW for fact that many many folks look at what I am talking about from the "political" side (not meaning to start anything here, my blood bleeds Constitutional Rights Red/White/Blue so please dont misunderstand my point of view) of hunting and the right to bear arms and all that BUT, until a person has spent a fair amount of time exploring California and, with an open mind, getting to know exactly what huge population numbers look like it can be hard to understand, IMHO.

I also think that one of the things that make our country so great is that we can freely bounce around from one State to another, enjoy the culture differences and effect that things like population has had (both ways, I actually LOVE California and one of the things I LOVE about it are the people and their way of life and how they have adapted BUT I also LOVE places like Utah, Montana and Wyoming where folks still open carry side arms - BEAUTIFUL!!).

As far as hunting goes, things have changed greatly here in Michigan too. Back when I was a kid it was normal for local schools to shut down during opening day of deer season,, most classes had empty seats during pheasant and duck openers too - kids got BB Guns for their 3rd Birthdays and Shotguns for 8th. Out of the way "Northern" towns that had populations of under a couple hundred people had population BOOMS when hundreds (or thousands) of folks piled in during the two week Gun Deer season. Back then a dirtbiker could also jump on two tracks, powerlines and pretty much cover all of Michigan (except for the East side - some spots over there have always been more "California" like in population). A lot of that has also changed now due to more population. Just a different way of life than when I was growing up..

Thank you for joining me in well wishing our Deer Hunters. While I don't hunt anymore I use to take it VERY seriously. For your enjoyment I am gonna attach a couple pics just for you. The first one is of my deer rifle my father bought me for my 12th Birthday. It's an old bolt action 30/30 Savage. Next is a shot of my first Deer. My method of hunting was always called "Brush Hunting" and my Dad always called me a "Brush Hunter" because I LOVED the thick stuff (something I learned from both hunting partridge and rabbits with dogs - I always followed the dogs and learned a LOT from them:178:). This "Buck" walked within 15 feet of me while hunting near Iron's Michigan (Deer Hunters MECCA up there and the dirtbike/snowmobile trails are AWESOME too) and it was so thick all I could get was just glimpses of his body. He (the deer) caught wind of me, jumped and ran - I had crawled (following deer paths) into a large area of Thorn Apple bushes (the term "thorn" here is an understatement, these bushes are equipped covered with 2 inch stickers - rough/hard hunting at its best. I jumped up, pulled up old trusty, every time the buck jumped his head would appear above the bushes - nailed em on his forth bound!! I later had an Indian lady who wanted some work done on her husbands Motorcycle but didnt have quite enough cash for the repairs (back when I had my shop). I LOVED her totem pole work and other things, offered her a "deal" on trading a carving on my deer rifle gun stock in swap. She didnt do half bad for a first time - she worked from a pic of my first deer that you see mounted. I was 14 when I got em, I was hooked and hunted A LOT with lots of success (Handgun, BLack Powder and Bow too!) until my Dad fell ill.

Anyway, hope that tides you over till one of other hunters provides us with some more pics and stories :thumbsup:

attachment.php?attachmentid=102418&d=1448408989

attachment.php?attachmentid=102419&d=1448408989

DSCN2042.JPG

DSCN2047.JPG

Hey Puc....Glad to see you've still got him hanging on the wall. All you fella's going out for the deer season I wish you all good hunting and please be safe out there..Our deer rifle season starts the first week of November here in Ontario and lasts only one week in most parts of the province. After talking to several hunters from different areas of Ontario the deer harvest has not been very good at all this year.My brother and I were out for the hunt and only saw 3 deer for the whole week, last year we saw more than 30, all does and no doe tags... Hey thats hunting ...

The biggest problem with hunting up here is the number of people crowding the forests making it dangerous specially when a large number of them get buck fever and become too trigger happy. Scary :duck:Or you get the Rambo ones that need to buy military replicas to go hunting when an ordinary long rifle is just fine. Those people scare me too. We used to just go out dressed in ordinary but warm earth tone clothes and get what we were after. Now you get these new breed of people who go out there like they are on some sort of military excursion. Like I said they scare me.

Edited by saddlebum