IGNORED

Invoking all the wise venture gurus on this site

OK Guys here it goes...

I just got a 1999 Royal Star Venture which looks like just came out of the show room with only 4270 original miles.

Yup! You are reading right, ONLY 4270 original miles.

Even better, the price tag ONLY $1650.

I know, I know, you are asking what is the catch, well here it is...

Two month ago the owner went to start it and heard a loud pop in the engine.

Luckily he did not try again and rushed to diagnose the problem.

After long search he discover the number 2 cylinder suffer a hydro lock.

Connecting rod is bent and piston skirt got damaged by getting hit by cam counter balance.

So far it looks like the cylinder is not damaged buy the only way to know will be when open.

Talking to previous owner, he told me that a few days before he had totally redone the carbs, which makes me suspect the number tow carb floater must have gotten stock and hence the flood.

Well, since I am in love with RS I couldn't pass the chance to have this beautiful bike for this amount of money and lunch myself into the challenge of fixing it.

My question to you is what would you do?

Would you try to fix the engine or just buy a low mileage engine and just swap them? (This sims so far the cheapest way)

Have anyone done either one of these?

I have read the books and the most difficult part seems to be the handling of the heavy engine?

I'll be very thankful to hear from the wisdom of the GURUS here in this great forum.

Looking forward to hear from the master,

Humbly,

Little Grasshopper JJ

Personally, I would just buy a good used replacement engine. They are not hard to find and can generally be had for somewhere less than a thousand bucks for a nice low mileage one. It will likely have more miles on it than the one you have but much simpler.

@Flyingfool I removed the oil pan and was able to see it from there. Also, I looked with camera inside cylinder from top and under and it seems ok... @Freebird definitely seems to be the easiest, fastest cheapest option.

Either way the handling of the engine is what worries me the most.

Any suggestions?

@Flyingfool I removed the oil pan and was able to see it from there. Also, I looked with camera inside cylinder from top and under and it seems ok... @Freebird definitely seems to be the easiest, fastest cheapest option.

Either way the handling of the engine is what worries me the most.

Any suggestions?

As for handling the engine, pizza and a few buddies should handle it no problem.

IF the cylinder has no damage. As far as cheapest? I wonder if there is enough room to pull the head while in frame and get the new piston and rod in there without pulling the engine???

I would get some help to pull the motor off the frame, then look around for a good mc mechanic to replace the parts that are damaged. If you pull it your self and reinstall it, that is a big part of the labor charges saved. Just a guess, but I would think you could get it fixed for less then a grand and you will still have a low mileage motor.

I would say depends on your mechanical skills and time available. Im like maybe 2 hr away straight across SR 64 and US 27. With some advance scheduling I could probably help you on a Sat or Sun get the motor out. I have the service manual on my computer to look up if head etc can come off in frame. It would be nice, but I wouldnt bet on it. Shoot checking valve clearances is tuff enough. If it only killed a piston and rod, I would certainly think it less expensive to replace parts if skills are up to it.

I would say depends on your mechanical skills and time available. Im like maybe 2 hr away straight across SR 64 and US 27. With some advance scheduling I could probably help you on a Sat or Sun get the motor out. I have the service manual on my computer to look up if head etc can come off in frame. It would be nice, but I wouldnt bet on it. Shoot checking valve clearances is tuff enough. If it only killed a piston and rod, I would certainly think it less expensive to replace parts if skills are up to it.

Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely keep you in mind. Luckily I have the manual too. Wouldn't do it with out it. If the cylinder is not damage it will cost less than $400...That would be nice.

I'm going to see is it is possible to have clearance either under or from top.

In the mean time I am just try to see what our gurus know and advice.

Obviously there is no rush and the good weather to work on it is just upon it.

Have you worked on RS engines before?

I've worked on them a lot but not to this extent. They are amazing and practically build to never being open until 200k plus miles if anything. Hence why they are so laborious to work on them in this case.

We'll stay in touch...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am no guru but the replacement motor would be my suggestion also, pinwall has three of them right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Yamaha-Venture-XVZ1300-Royal-Star-1300-ENGINE-MOTOR-/311457520539?vxp=mtr&hash=item4884509b9b here is an 07 for 899

I am thinking the venture motor will into go into a 99 rs.the main reason the old rs was so anemic on horsepower was the limited airbox.in 2005 they went extrnal like on the venture.I owned an 01 rstd.The venture intakecams are hotter,more power.the rs exhaust cams are the same as the rsv. the rsv has bigger airbox,bigger carbs,so not sure it would work on the 99rs.

Well I made up my mind...I am going for it!

I am going to take it appart and repair the engine.

With only 4000 original miles it would be a crime to not do it.

The only thing I am praying for is that the cylinder did not get damaged...

I'll keep you posted guys...this is going to be quite the adventure...

Thank you all for your support and wish me luck...Ha!Ha!

I would do all of the tear down before buying anything, that way if it is toast inside, all you have invested is time.

Are you going to attempt the repair with the engine still in the frame?

GOOD Luck!!! :fingers-crossed-emo

I sure wouldnt try to fix it in the frame.Its a big deal job, fighting for room to get wrenches on things makes it even worse.

I used to be on the delphi forum when I owned an 01 rstd.They have airbox mods that will unleash the beast.the bigfoot mods,#1,2,3.Good time to do it while the engine is out.Rejetting is necessary for BF #3.But you go from 62 hp to at least 70, 82 if you put venture intake cams, and the bigfoot mods is only airbox work and rejetting.They can tell you which size jets to use.A plug and play power commander helps performance also.And I agree,4000 miles, you got to go for it.

I think that the mods you speak of were for the first generation Royal Stars. The Venture being discussed here is already factory rated at 99 HP. Even HP at the rear tire is more than the 62 that you mention and I don't think any air filter mods are necessary other than perhaps going with a K&N filter.

I think that the mods you speak of were for the first generation Royal Stars. The Venture being discussed here is already factory rated at 99 HP. Even HP at the rear tire is more than the 62 that you mention and I don't think any air filter mods are necessary other than perhaps going with a K&N filter.

You are so right.I misread.I htought he said royal star,didnt see the venture part.The nonventure royal stars do have just 62 hp.

When I get in these kind of situations I take it as an excuse to build a bad arse motor. My typical route is to swap in the cheapest yard motor I can find. Even if it is on the higher end of miles and has a few small leaks as long as I can seal it with some gasket maker or JB weld. In the mean time the original motor will get broke down and find some friends @ the machine shop. Good thing is now you can still enjoy your ride while you work on the motor slowly and correctly instead of a $1-2K rush job.

When the Hayabusa caught a case of the rod knocks from abuse I went this route. A little port and polish and a deck and bore was worth the wait and trouble. When it was done I actually sold the placholder motor for a couple Hun$ more than I got it for.

It doesn't seem like there's any real choice on what to do here. No matter if you replace the motor, or fix it you're gonna have to pull the motor. So pull it and look at the damage. If it's toast, replace it. If it's just a bent rod and a fubar piston, replace them and stuff it back in. Just do it quickly before you forget where all the wires and hoses go..... Don't ask me how I know this... :-)

Hey guys!

Awesome advise and info from all of you.

Thank you very much.

I did reorganize my shop (garage) today so I have room to do this in a very organize matter.

I was thinking about doing it while on the frame but I think that will be much more laborious and dangerous.

I do not plan to buy anything until I put it apart. My biggest fear is that the cylinder is damage and that is a BFT... @Condor I know exactly what you mean. Being there, done that...Thanks god for books, pictures and zipbags.

I am going to try to document the whole thing and take as many pictures as possible.

I would welcome any possible improvement you guys know I can do to the engine while is out, if any...

The previous owner treated this bike excelently so everything is in great shape. All I need to do is get the engine working.

For those who have pull the motor out...

Did you elevated the bike from under the wheels so there is more clearance?

What did you use to pull it out (jack, muscle, friends)?

Keep the great advice coming...

Thank you!!!

I would get some help to pull the motor off the frame, then look around for a good mc mechanic to replace the parts that are damaged. If you pull it your self and reinstall it, that is a big part of the labor charges saved. Just a guess, but I would think you could get it fixed for less then a grand and you will still have a low mileage motor.

I have too agree with Steamer here you have pull the engine anyway why not fix it and install it save your self some bucks.