IGNORED

My Michelin Rear tire update

Squidley

I have to apologise to all our members here as I have been so busy with life that I haven't reported the findings of what caused our crash on Jan 2 2008. With out further delay here what we know....

After the tire was professionally inspected, it was found out that I did in fact hit something in the road. It appears to have been about the size of my pinkey finger and completely punctured the casing and zippered part of the sidewall. I have my theories after learning that some of the reflectors down south are spiked into the asphault. Perhaps one of the reflectors was missing or broke and allowed the retaining spike to puncture the tire.

I apologise for not posting this up sooner, but I want you folks to be able to make intelligent desicions on purchasing tires. The Michelin Commanders that I had on my bike are not the cause of the accident. If your thinking of buying them I would say to be confident in them. I was pleased with the performance of them, but ultimately I love the Avons and thats what I will buy in the future.

Again I apologise for the delay, I hope this helps out anybody that was wanting to hear about the findings before they bought tires.

Thanks Squid as you know thats what I run. You remember the crack in mine last year just before Vogel so one had to wonder. It makes me a little more at ease as I like the tires and it is the second set for me. I am going to try the Avons this year when I change the tires as I have heard nothing but good things from people that have them.

Thanks again Brad and we hope to see you guys soon. John and Dianne

Brad, can you tell me where you got this info from,

I have my theories after learning that some of the reflectors down south are spiked into the asphault. Perhaps one of the reflectors was missing or broke and allowed the retaining spike to puncture the tire.

Seeing as how I lived over 50 years in that area, this is something new to me. I have been behind many a state DOT truck putting down those reflectors, and I have wittnessed the process, which is applying a lot of epoxy to the bottom of it and placing it on the roadway. Maybe they have changed the technique by which they do it, and I would say, if that is the case that they need to go back to the old way to prevent accidents of this nature from re-occuring.

I did a little research and came up with some alarming findings.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Blindsided.road.reflectors.2.324840.html

http://cbs2chicago.com/seenon/road.reflectors.2.324518.html

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/7410125/detail.html

This is pretty scary and eye opening...........The pictures they show look like the reflectors have a metal base and are epoxied to the roadway and the heavy reflective part is breaking loose and flying into unweary drivers...

Guest Chaos
I haven't reported the findings of what caused our crash on Jan 2 2008. With out further delay here what we know....

WOW ... I have been AWOL for a long time just heard about this. Glad you guys came out of this one in good shape! :)

I think Charlie and yourself need to find a hobby other than controlling the population of 2ND Gens.

Brad, can you tell me where you got this info from,

I have my theories after learning that some of the reflectors down south are spiked into the asphault. Perhaps one of the reflectors was missing or broke and allowed the retaining spike to puncture the tire.

Lew,

This info was passed onto me from the company that performed the inspection. Perhaps I heard it wrong but it would make very good sence to me to think that you would need to install them as deep as possible. I personally do not like the raised reflectors, especially the ones I encountered in Louisiana (no offence to anyone who lived or lives there)

If I'm not mistaken wasn't that what took down A1 Ammoniaman (Don) on his scoot when it punctured his rear tire? All I know is that if this is in fact exactly what happened, it makes it very hard for me to go back down to Louisiana and get back on I 10.....very scary no matter how you look at it :shock3:

Lew,

This info was passed onto me from the company that performed the inspection. Perhaps I heard it wrong but it would make very good sence to me to think that you would need to install them as deep as possible. I personally do not like the raised reflectors, especially the ones I encountered in Louisiana (no offence to anyone who lived or lives there)

If I'm not mistaken wasn't that what took down A1 Ammoniaman (Don) on his scoot when it punctured his rear tire? All I know is that if this is in fact exactly what happened, it makes it very hard for me to go back down to Louisiana and get back on I 10.....very scary no matter how you look at it :shock3:

brad. you can always come across on I-20.

that would put you about 20 or 30 miles , from "the ambassador's", place.

i think.

just jt

I just find it hard to believe, that if that is the case, they didnt realize that something like this could happen............I hope it isnt. No offense taken, If I loved La. so much, I wouldnt have moved to the Atlanta area now would I. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I do believe that we should all take much more care to avoid those reflectors at all costs, less we have another incident like yours or one of the others mentioned in the threads I posted.

By the way, I see there is a 1st Gen for sale at a good price, you really did look at home on mine when you sat on it..........:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Lew,

I noticed one of the reflectors laying the road here in northern Illinois a week or two ago and almost stopped and picked it up. Just wanted to take a good look at it.

I have noticed that up here the reflectors are level with the road whereas in Florida and Alabama the reflectors stick up above the road surface. I figured they could do that down south because they don't plow snow like we do here.

There are a lot of things laying on the highway especially where there are barriers in the center separate the opposing lanes. Lots of junk.

Be careful,

Jerry

By the way, I see there is a 1st Gen for sale at a good price, you really did look at home on mine when you sat on it..........:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Hey Lew, you trying to get ANOTHER 1st gen for him? We got him on one already.

RandyA

You must have missed that thread Lewis :doh: Picks below

So , Just as a question Brad. What tires are you gonna run on the 1st gen ?

I'm going back to Avon venoms, I had planned that on the '99 when I replaced the Michelins. Like I mention though, they are good tires and I would run them right up with the Avon's for performance.

Thanks for all the good information. I have replaced the stock rear tire with a Michelin Commander. But the stock tire is still on the front. I'm about to replace it also and have been considering both the Michelin and Avon. Sounds like everyone likes the Avon the best.:confused24:

Squidley, I'm just glad that you and Lona are OK from the wreck:thumbsup2:. It would have been awful if either of you had been seriously injured. I hope that you are around long enough that maybe some day we can compare scars.:whistling:

RIDE SAFE

Squidley, I'm just glad that you and Lona are OK from the wreck:thumbsup2:. It would have been awful if either of you had been seriously injured. I hope that you are around long enough that maybe some day we can compare scars.:whistling:

RIDE SAFE

It's a date Steve...but unfortunately Lonna is the one with the scars :( We'll make it happen. I have said it before that my goal in life is to meet all the folks at VR.org that will tolerate me...you would be on that list :)

I spoke to the head mechanic at my Yama dealer this last week about tires. He recommended the Avon Venons with much praise for the thickness of the tires. I think I'm gonna have to save my nickles and plan for some Avons. Next to running into deer in the Georgia/Alabama countryside, the Pirelli tires on my scoot don't inspire confidence for me.