IGNORED

Added a new trunk to my wing

Eck

First let me say that I don't know/remember Shawn's VR.O site name, but his name is Shawn Costley. I tried to find him here, but could not find him.

Anyway, Shawn gave me a small trunk from a scooter that he was going to toss out about three months ago. I decided today that I was going to install it.

The lid opens towards the rear of the bike, and to mount the trunk to where the lid would not hit the rear fender, I would have had to mount it about 8 to 10 inches back from the rear of the bike and that, (to me), would look like heck so I decided I wanted to make this trunk "slide" backwards on the mount to where I could open it, and then it would "slide" forward and lock in place for traveling.

As seen in the pics, it is close to the rear fender when slid forward, but I have plenty of room to open the lid once it is slid back away from the bike. The only thing I have to do now is come up with a simple locking device to hold it in place when I travel... I'm thinking of one of those rubber "T" handle locks, but may come up with something else. I have to sleep on it tonight to see what I can come up with.

Then I have to take it all apart to add electric wires and LED's for lights and paint it to match the color of my wing.

Check out the pics:

:twing:

HPIM2424.jpg

HPIM2425.jpg

HPIM2426.jpg

HPIM2427.jpg

HPIM2428.jpg

Edited by Eck

Looks awesome! But, I have a querstion. The front corners of that little trunk are awfully close to the exhaust. Are you concerned that the heat from the exhaust might deform or mess with the finish?

I have given that some thought before and after I mounted it. I am thinking of adding two heat shields / diverters to both forward corners of the trunk, which is a small piece of aluminum plate held on with a couple standoffs / spacers. I will be looking at it more closely today. I spent 8 hours yesterday on it looking for spare parts and making angle braces, match drilling holes and aligning it. I was wore out yesterday. That getting up and down from the floor was killing me..

That getting up and down from the floor was killing me..

hahaha, I've been saying for a while now that the floor keeps getting farther away as I get older.

That trunk really fits in nicely. What will you use it for?

Very nice Eck.. Love it.. While making the heat shields you may want to consider skid plates for the rear.. What kind of clearance do you have going down ramps out of driveways etc? I have a platform out the back that I bungee a cooler to and on occasion it has scraped (rare but has happened) Unless your support rack goes pretty much to the edge at the back.. plastic damages easily..

Nice addition Eck!

Like how the shape fits the wing.

Now just drill a small drain hole toward the rear, install a "P" tube, add ice and there you have it...Cold Drinks for all those hot summer rides.

Well I don't need heat shields.. I rode about 180 miles today and I stopped a couple times leaving the bike in natural and still running, I jumped off and quickly felt the side of the trunk next to the exhaust and heck, it was only warm to the touch, not hot at all.. So the "Eck" with the heat shields........:stickpoke:

Looking at a spring latch to lock it in place, but still not sure what I want to use. I used a small bungee cord today just to hold it in place so I could try it out.

Im not sure what I will carry in it. Maybe my rain gear and rain boots or maybe my tools and air pump...Have no idea yet..

TOTALLY AWESOME ECKSTER!! :clap2::clap2::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wonder why manufactures didnt devise a mounting system like that in the first place = lower the center of gravity!! I LOVE IT ECK - you, my friend, are AMAZING!!:thumbsup:

Well it all started when the trunk was white. Measuring, fitting, making brackets and aligning.

Today I spent the day taking everything apart, and painting the trunk silver.

No, it does not match the exact color of my 02 wing, but using excess spray cans of paint I have on the shelf I came close to making it similar to the color but anyone can tell it does not match.

Who cares...not me..

Here are a few pics of it painted silver and I included a couple pics showing how I made the locking mechanism so it stays in place when moved forward towards the rear of the bike.

Pic #2434 shows the barn door spring lock, and pic # 2435 shows the bracket I made using a rubber electrical washer (so it don't rattle), and the lock "shaft" fits inside the rubber washer when locked. When I push on the tab on the lock, it disengages and I can roll the trunk backwards (aft) so that I can open the lid with out touching the rear of the bike.

Awe heck ...the pictures are not all that clear.......sorry..

`

HPIM2429.jpg

HPIM2430.jpg

HPIM2434.jpg

HPIM2435.jpg

pretty amazing and original. I knew a guy that used one of those as a trunk on his Shadow tourer. Um wouldn't a trailer have been more useful.

LOL!

I have a bushtec trailer that I pull with the wing now, but if I am only going for a long weekend trip, I would rather not pull the bushtec......:happy34:

The trunk I have is generic but is very handy to add extra storage during them shorter trips. This isn't a good pic

@Skid , It appears that your trunk opens to the side.?? Any extra space is good for those shorter trips. Even if it is only to store your wet bike cover in..

Eck, it opens from the front. I may add some small lights to it sometime. My last camping trip I had my leather coat and air mattress in it. I think it came off an old Honda Bike.

Edited by Skid

Eck your the ultimate tinkerer.:bowdown: Apply at the YAMAHA CORP. headquarters and design the new Venture for them will you? They seem to be lost. It looks like your wing is having a baby with it painted the same. I'd print "Backoff baby being born" across the back of it. :scratchchin:Looks good.:happy34: