IGNORED

My dilemma...

Monty

I had 3 trips planned for this year. Don's MD, the international, and another ship reunion down in Florida.

Now, as you know, these trips can be expensive.

My dilemma.....

My wife(Angel) has expressed an interest in wanting her own bike. She used to have a YZ125 & rode motocross, but has never ridden on the street. I really want her to have a bike if she wants one. I think everyone with any common sense should have the experience.

If we take the trips, she'll have to wait quite a while to get a bike. I have the money for the bike right now, but if we take the trips, I will no longer have it. We really do enjoy our trips, and seeing all of you fine folks, when we do.

See my dilemma? What would you do?

How about reformat your trips.

Get a tent and it will save a bunch over room fees.

Getting a camp stove will save a bunch over restaurants.

I have no idea on the cost of the reunion, but Dons MD is a lot less expensive than the international. I am about the same distance to Dons as you are, 425 miles vs 450, that trip is usually just over $100 by the time I am back home. Unless of course Earl has just the goodies I am looking for.......

I would make every effort to get the wife a bike if she really wants one. Modify the trips to reduce cost and maybe only do one this year. I just wish that I could get my better half to want to join me on a trip. She won't even try to get on the bike.

Annie, if we don't go, I'm almost positive you & Alan will be rolling through my part of Tennessee while you are here.

Jeff, we always do camp. We have a popup motorcycle camper. $100 wouldn't even buy the gas on the trip...lol.

What are her thoughts on a scoot? The right fit is as important as anything. And safety training!!! And, And, And......man that takes some thinking don't it? Tell her how much we love her and want her to do this the right way if she feels she really wants to do it. The mess of idiots we have on the road today makes it scary. Don't rush into this. But.......:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Well, as long as she is an (Angel), and I'm sure loves the trips every bit as much as you, I'd say take your planned trips, and spend the summer letting her try out and ride different bikes that she might be interested in then she'll know what she wants, and then next winter, buy the bike she likes.

I worked with a guy whose wife rode a Honda 250 Rebel. He said she rode with him to the Keys and held it wide open at 80mph most of the way. My point is that a small used Japanese bike is not so expensive. And the smaller the better as long as it is comfortable for her. Something like a Honda Shadow?

I found my 85 Kawasaki ZN700 that had only 1,053 miles on it cheap. New spark plugs, cleaning the carbs and a few other things like tires and it was good to go.

This is one that is within our reach. It's an 1100, but it is low-slung, so easier for her to sit. IDK. We have been slowly looking. We found a nice Rebel too, but she wants a bike that won't have to work so hard on trips.

10425395_460601304101973_3676028494230860182_n.jpg

Work more overtime...

Or if that's not an option she could pick up a part time job.:witch_brew:

If she's planning to do any distance riding don't go for a 250. If there isn't some length and weight to the bike it'll beat her up on a long ride.

she had better sign up for a motorcycle safety class. That would get her on a few smaller bikes and get her lic a lot easer. plus its fun practicing. that's how I got mine after dropping it from my lic a long time ago.

If she doesn't have her license yet, maybe postpone the long trips with her on her own bike until next year. Get a small cheap bike to ride around home and to ride to take the test. It can be upgraded next year. Keep her on the back of you bike this year.

I think it was 2010 when I was at the Honda dealer in Miami when a guy rode up on a 2003 750 Shadow with a duffle bag on the back and a backpack. I talked with him briefly. He was from Sweden. He flew to Miami, bought the used Shadow and spent over a month riding around the country. He was there to sell his bike and fly home. I think he was underwhelmed at what the dealer offered him and rode away.

We don't plan on her taking any trips this year, if we get her a bike. Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post? The plan would be to get her a bike, get some practice, get her license and a safety course. With enough practice, she could be ready for some trips next year...maybe.

Oh, and MiCarl...she already has a job. We just don't want to borrow money to buy one.

I guess i see this differently. If she has motocross experience, she will adapt to road riding very quickly - even if her previuos riding was years ago.

I say make the sacrifice to get a bike that is going to work for highway trips because she's going to be itching to do them as soon as she's comfortable riding on the road. Again, I don't believe that will take long, especially after she completes a safety course.

Please don't get a 250. It will be weeks (not even months) before she's ready to upgrade.

I never had to take the course to get my motorcycle license because when NC decided to require one, I had been riding long enough to be grandfathered in.

However, I have been to the course that you have to ride to get a license in NC and I could not navigate the short turns on my 750 Virago I had at that time. I would have to borrow a tiny motorcycle to be able to pass it. I would never be able to pass it riding an 1100 Shadow. In fact a friend was with me that day riding his 1100 Shadow and he couldn't pass the course riding either of our bikes. I admit I'm not the greatest rider but that course was tough.

I never had to take the course to get my motorcycle license because when NC decided to require one, I had been riding long enough to be grandfathered in.

However, I have been to the course that you have to ride to get a license in NC and I could not navigate the short turns on my 750 Virago I had at that time. I would have to borrow a tiny motorcycle to be able to pass it. I would never be able to pass it riding an 1100 Shadow. In fact a friend was with me that day riding his 1100 Shadow and he couldn't pass the course riding either of our bikes. I admit I'm not the greatest rider but that course was tough.

I had 3 trips planned for this year. Don's MD, the international, and another ship reunion down in Florida.

Now, as you know, these trips can be expensive.

My dilemma.....

My wife(Angel) has expressed an interest in wanting her own bike. She used to have a YZ125 & rode motocross, but has never ridden on the street. I really want her to have a bike if she wants one. I think everyone with any common sense should have the experience.

If we take the trips, she'll have to wait quite a while to get a bike. I have the money for the bike right now, but if we take the trips, I will no longer have it. We really do enjoy our trips, and seeing all of you fine folks, when we do.

See my dilemma? What would you do?

I think, if by putting off a few planned trips for a year or so......I would possibly get the opportunity to have my Angel ride along beside me for a life time.

Well.....I wouldn't see much of a dilemma in that decision! :happy-emoticon:

I would ask her what she wants to do, let her make the decision. Does she want to give up vacations this year to own her own bike? Or do you guys want to wait another year to save some more $$$ towards a bike next year? Are both your jobs pretty solid, are you in pretty good shape financially otherwise? Take a loan and find a good deal, even if you have to sell it you wont lose much?

Good Luck with your problem, we look forward to seeing you guys this summer!!

Craig

Here in Ohio bikes are provided for the basic safety course. They supply 250s which make the course much easier. The best part is that passing the course means skipping the maneuverability test at the license bureau.

Monty, take a look at the shadow Ace Tourer 1100cc with hard bags and windshield. Nice bikes and easy to handle. There's a few for sale on THIS forum I'm a member of. It's what I had before the RSV.

Take it from one who's wife also rides, you will both enjoy the ride with two bikes :thumbsup2: Get the bike now and pick one of the trips to put off this year.

You've heard it before... HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE :beer: