IGNORED

I must be getting old

MikeWa

I did that a long time ago on the RSV. Went through drilled, Samson and then Khromewerks but finally just wanted some peace and quiet. Just put a set of Vance and Hines on the Road Glide but they are their touring model. A bit deeper sound but only maybe a decibel louder. I like them a lot.

I took off my D&Ds and put the stock back on a few weeks ago. I like the D&Ds most of the time but going up hills around the city they're a tad too loud. I'm planning on re-working the baffles for next riding season just to tone them down some.

I must still be young. Sold my Venture and now looking at an RSTD. Already have a friend with some RK pipes for me, but I have also been looking at other aftermarket as well for a louder, deeper rumble. I really like the Baron Nasties. So if any of you old farts:backinmyday: get tired of your aftermarket pipes, looks me up and PM me. I might take them off your hands

Mike, I go back and forth. I have a set of slash cut HD touring muffs. They are OK around town and short trips of maybe an hour or so around here. A couple years ago when I first got them I thought "man these are great". Then took a 1800 mile trip up to NC with them thru the mountains and long freeway stretches. When I got home I couldnt wait to get them off. My ears rang for days and I wore earbuds the whole trip. So I go back and forth, if I know I have a long trip coming up I switch them out.

I am wondering if anyone has a set of stock pipes they would like to sell. J (better half) enjoyed our return trip from the IR this past summer (she flew into Nashville after the rally) so I see more long distant trips in our future. Her only issue with the entire trip was how loud the bike was. This I can fix. PM me if you have a set you are interested in letting go.

Ha I love this thread. Nobody chimed in with "loud pipes save lives"- finally.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say for an absolute certainty that my loud pipes saved my (and wife's) lives but I know for a fact they have prevented us from several accidents. The stock pipes on my RSTD were so quiet I couldn't hear it running. I understand the pros and cons concerning ones pipe choice, obviously I chose loud.

:sign yeah that:

I always like to answer to that crowd. "I've been an emergency service worker for over 30 years. I have never seen a loud pipe save anyone!?" :rasberry:

Just to "stir the pot" (coz I have nuthin better to do) but .... how would one even know if their loud pipes saved their life (or not)?

Just to "stir the pot" (coz I have nuthin better to do) but .... how would one even know if their loud pipes saved their life (or not)?

Too add some ingredients to your pot SilverT....I'll take the most recent close call (last weekend) my wife and I experienced. We had just pulled into a shopping center and were driving thru the lot (in designated driving area) when a woman in a small car to our right was exiting a fast food joint, she had a stop sign, however she was either opening her hamburger or texting or something other than driving her car. It was apparent she was not going to stop, which would most likely have resulted in me "T" boning her. The temps were in the 40's so her windows were up, I opted not to use the wimpy stock horn (yes I know I have other horn options), I gave the engine a hard rev which resulted in the woman jerking up her head and realizing she needed to stop but not without a "look" that could kill. Of course this all happened real time and as this was unfolding I was making an avoidance maneuver myself. I guess my question might be.... What might have been the outcome of this scenario if I didn't have loud pipes? To be clear here, I am NOT wanting to start a pissing contest, just looking for some reasoned input.

Ha I love this thread. Nobody chimed in with "loud pipes save lives"- finally.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they let deaf people have driver's licences but not blind people!!! I would rather be seen and not heard. Air horns work fine for getting people's attention!!

Well, they let deaf people have driver's licences but not blind people!!! I would rather be seen and not heard. Air horns work fine for getting people's attention!!

Unless I'm mistaken, here in N.C. they do allow blind people to drive.... I know this because I have to dodge them all the time.....