IGNORED

Dodged another bullet.......

Flyinfool

No I am not talking about the recent wave of shootings in the area.

While I am at the moment still currently employed as an engineer, the engineering department has shrunk from 4 people down to just me, myself and I. It sure is quiet at this end of the building all day.

Last Friday there was another big layoff and the other engineer is the one that was let go. At least it shows a vote of confidence in my abilities (I hope) since I am now the mechanical engineer, the electrical engineer and the manufacturing engineer and any other type of engineer that they can think of. Hmmm but I guess that also makes me the engineering secretary, and the engineering file clerk.

I have been here for 15 years now, but I think the writing is on the wall, no one will be here for very much longer. The company has shrunk from 150 employies 4 years ago to just 50 now and most of them are in management. It has been almost all production people that have been let go so far.

I really hate job hunting. especially now as an old grey hair. But I fear that I must now start looiking around.:fingers-crossed-emo

Lotta stuff going on west of you Fool,, we spent some time in North Dakota and Tippy noticed a couple signs at a small truck stop, think it was at Baker that read HELP WANTED, all positions, with a longgg list of employment ops included several engineering positions.. I am sure it had something to do with all the oil/gas stuff going on out there. Sure had us talking that night about moving out there!! One of my really good friends just moved out to Helena MT, was an engineer for a shop here, got hired as an engineer out there..

You could make all kinds of snow out there,, their low temps were -40 last year.. As you know though,, their summers are second to none!!

This economy stinks dont it.. Our area has been hit really really bad too.. Lost a lot of really good friends and, even a couple of my own kids to it.. People moving all over the place to find work..

Something that I noticed in employment,, at least for me, is that it seems easier to find another job if your already working.. Might send out some resumes before you end up in the unemployment line.. Just a thought..

Best wishes with it all Jeff!

Puc

So, now that you are the "Director of Engineering" or "Senior Engineer", it may be time to go job hunting. I have been down that road where the writing was on the wall and I guess I just did not read the writing well enough and got caught up in a mass layoff and company being sold. I was about 51 at the time and it was not fun looking for another job.

I wish you the best and there are still a few companies out there looking for good experienced people. You just have to find them. I wish you the best of luck.

RandyA

South is not an option, medically I do not tolerate heat well, no one has ever heard me complain about the snow or cold. I can deal with the -20F a lot better than 90+F

I am just a year away from getting a third week of vacation, I really hate to start over again.

I will ride this boat for a while yet.

I do have an ace in the hole with a start up company that wants to hire me once they get up and running. I have done side jobs for them creating all of their patent drawings, and prototype drawings, they were very pleased with my work. They told me that if I should loose this job before they are up and running that they will put me on the payroll and find something for me to do just to not risk loosing me. But that remains to be seen should push come to shove. I figure that a start up company is no more risk than where I am right now.

I got tossed out after 20+ years when the company downsized. They picked on the 20 yr people who were going to get good pensions if they stayed. Anyway, I have been working temporary contract jobs ever since. It was a blessing in disguise. I have enjoyed the contract jobs more than being direct. They have been more challenging, interesting and more lucrative with a lot less politics. I was divorced at first and that frees you up. Then I re-married and it's a little more inconvenient. But, I never had any thoughts of going direct again. Life has been and is good!

Not good news, Jeff. But it is good that you are still there. I guess I have to wonder about the ownership of the company...let's face it...when you lay off the workers but keep management...the company has nothing left to sell. No pretty widgets, no fancy services...zippo. Ah well...time to crank up the resume and vitae...time to do some closet marketing.

You might also think in terms of an exit strategy. If they do decide to let you go at some point...maybe offer them the opportunity to still use your services as a consultant for hire. You pick the price. I suggested that to my wife a number of years ago...she poopoo'd the idea until one day her ex-boss called and asked if she would work for them that way. She took my advice for $$ and was amazed that they would pay her that much until she realized they didn't have to pay anything else...no health care, no taxes, etc.. So same thought to you. They may still need your services, just not full time. Worth a shot. They can only say no...

Good luck and hang in there!

Sorry to hear about your job concerns....Was going to suggest our area....Huntsville is a high tech town....always need engineers....but does get hot here in the summer.....but if you don't have health problems...you can adjust in a little while.....20F is cold here....-20F is insane! LOL

Oh....thanks for the info....looks like gonna need the neck...so instead od messing with it a bunch....ordered the orings and neck....just gonna be nice to it till they get here.

Not good news, Jeff. But it is good that you are still there. I guess I have to wonder about the ownership of the company...let's face it...when you lay off the workers but keep management...the company has nothing left to sell. No pretty widgets, no fancy services...zippo. Ah well...time to crank up the resume and vitae...time to do some closet marketing.

You might also think in terms of an exit strategy. If they do decide to let you go at some point...maybe offer them the opportunity to still use your services as a consultant for hire. You pick the price. I suggested that to my wife a number of years ago...she poopoo'd the idea until one day her ex-boss called and asked if she would work for them that way. She took my advice for $$ and was amazed that they would pay her that much until she realized they didn't have to pay anything else...no health care, no taxes, etc.. So same thought to you. They may still need your services, just not full time. Worth a shot. They can only say no...

Good luck and hang in there!

They are attempting to burn thru the cash. Normally hand out large bonuses to upper mgmt., then declare bankruptcy... That way they won't have to pay pensions or healthcare for retirees...:depressed:

Would definitely start looking around...

Hope I'm wrong on this one...

Heck, I'd ask for a raise.... At least it'll give you an idea of what their plans are for the future.... :) The older you get the harder it'll be finding something else...??

That said by a guy that hasn't punched a time card or worked for anyone in 30 years... I love my boss!! :bighug: :whistling:

On the other hand I am still working on the design of a new product and they are still spending money on this development. That does not normally happen if they have plans to close the doors. Usually when there is a plan to close the door the engineers with their bigger salaries are the first ones out, since if they are closing there is no need to engineer new or improved stuff.

I'll give it a few more weeks to see how things settle out. I am still hoping that this is just a sales slump and things will recover.:fingers-crossed-emo

Did I mention that I hate job hunting more than most of you hate SNOW??????

I also really do not want to move, If you ever saw my basement you would understand....... There is a whole machine shop down there, It would take months just to move the machines.