IGNORED

Comcast vs Direct TV

GolfVenture

Direct TV sucks! There I said it, I had nothing but bill problems and people who couldn't or wouldn't do their jobs to make it right. When you hire uneducated idiots to work in a resolution center, and they dont do what they say they will (numerous times) you loose customers. I canceled my subscription and to this day I dont have any pay tv. At some point I might put up an antenna, but thats very low on the priority and honey do list....

:2cents:

BTW where I live at, it's only sat tv as any of the cable companies dont offer service out here.

One of the guys at WNY rally , he was tall, slim, dark hair, his wife or girlfriend had been ill and could not com. (remember all that and he rode a Frankenstein 1st Gen but can't remember his name) was some sort of radio and antennae tech was talking about free "over air" satellite. Buy and install your own equipment and intercept satellite signal. Haven't looked into it yet. Probably bail on pay TV VERY soon. Sick of the cost and quality (lack thereof) of them all.

One of the guys at WNY rally , he was tall, slim, dark hair, his wife or girlfriend had been ill and could not com. (remember all that and he rode a Frankenstein 1st Gen but can't remember his name) was some sort of radio and antennae tech was talking about free "over air" satellite. Buy and install your own equipment and intercept satellite signal. Haven't looked into it yet. Probably bail on pay TV VERY soon. Sick of the cost and quality (lack thereof) of them all.

K

Let us know when you bail and how we can follow suite.

I just switched from cable to Direct TV.

I called the cable co to see about getting my bill lowered and they said there is nothing they can do to lower my bill. I said I was going to switch to U-verse and the cable co already knew it was not available in my area, and even told me so.

So I canceled and went with DSL and Direct TV. the bill is about half of what cable was.

Once the "new customer" rates expire and the bill goes up. I will switch back to cable as a new customer.

Both the cable and Direct TV seem to have reception issues during big storms. They both get their feed from a satellite.

I've got Comcast for my internet, phone, and TV. They are a bit expensive ---$200/mo. for HD, but no movies. The phone is great, when we first installed it, you noticed that the signal had much better frequency response and less distortion than Ma Bell had. The internet is also great....very fast. They also give you a wireless/wired router. TV picture appears to have less resolution on some shows than either of my daughter's sattelite TV setups. Sometimes the pictures look fuzzy, other times great. It all depends on how much bandwith they alot. Things like NFL football games and Nascar races are good. Weekday afternoon TV is fuzzy. They have a feature called ON DEMAND that allows you to pick a lot of TV shows that keep on their home system for a month of longer and it's free with the service I suscribe to. This means that at times like now that I'm on the road for a couple of weeks, when I get home I can catch up on all the shows I want to see. Also a lot of free and pay movies. I've heard tales of terrible Comcast service, but I've always been treated quickly and good. If you channel surf, it's a lot faster on Comcast. On sattellite it takes a lot longer for the channel to come on.

Would I chose Comcast again?? It depends on what internet service the sattelite providers can give us. The higher resolution picture would be an attraction for me. My daughter in Alurquerque has good internet from Direct TV. My daughter in Mufreesboro, TN. has sattelite TV and Comcast for internet. I'd probably go with a sattelite service because it is cheaper.

Had Direct TV and went with a local company called Midcontinent. I had nothing but bill problems with Direct TV and when the DVR that recorded multiple shows came out I wanted to upgrade to that DVR, Well they wanted me to pay for their equipment and not own it. Told them that I was a loyal customer for multiple years and they said that is why they wouldn't up grade me.

My parting remark was " I will be leaving them by the end of the month".

I got call backs from them but they couldn't do any thing. (so why did they call)? The day MidContinent came to install the cable Direct TV called and said they would upgrade me for free. TOO FRIGGEN late I told them and hung up.

If they think your bluffing or that your locked in they won't do a thing. WRONG... I'll call the bluff every time.

Been with MidContinent about a year can't say I have had any real problems to speak of. I bundled my phone, internet,& cable together for about $100.00 first year and & $120.00 for the second year. Third year it jumps big time and then I'll switch again.

It is just a game with these people and they really don't care if you come or go because they get people switching every single day of the year.

I am convinced that the days of a company caring about their loyal customers are well gone. To bad too, because older folks like to stay with people longer than the younger generation. To prove my point, every time a new phone comes out there is a lineup to purchase it regardless if their phone is fully functional or not.

To bad too because I think they are missing the boat here.

Maybe I am to Old School to know any better.

Good luck on your choice.

Bubber

PS Direct TV called me right after I wrote this... so I got a chance to tell them again why I left and throw them out for the second time.. LMFAO

Edited by Bubber
added PS

Direct TV sucks!

BTW where I live at, it's only sat tv as any of the cable companies dont offer service out here.

Don't know how fast your internet is. But have a look at Netflix. Any game system will receive it or get an Apple TV box ($97). I use it thru the Apple TV and love it. In fact I'm thinking about canceling cable TV, paying way too much for a zillion channels for nothing I watch and 50% of the show is advertising. Netflix shows have no advertising. And you can watch Netflix on any internet connected device for $7.99 a month.

Don't know how fast your internet is. But have a look at Netflix. Any game system will receive it or get an Apple TV box ($97). I use it thru the Apple TV and love it. In fact I'm thinking about canceling cable TV, paying way too much for a zillion channels for nothing I watch and 50% of the show is advertising. Netflix shows have no advertising. And you can watch Netflix on any internet connected device for $7.99 a month.

Unfortunately Art, I have an AT&T hotspot 4G for my internet with only 5gb of usage for the month. If I could get even a DSL line here (which I can't) I would stream. I'm SOL when it comes to TV or high speed internet at the house right now. I have to say that I dont miss TV all that much. There wasn't really but about 10 channels that I watched and for the money I paid it wasn't worth it. At the old place I had Charter and bundled TV and high speed internet for $60 a month. I never had issues and loved the service. If I could get them here I would in a second.

Unfortunately Art, I have an AT&T hotspot 4G for my internet with only 5gb of usage for the month. If I could get even a DSL line here (which I can't) I would stream. I'm SOL when it comes to TV or high speed internet at the house right now. I have to say that I dont miss TV all that much. There wasn't really but about 10 channels that I watched and for the money I paid it wasn't worth it. At the old place I had Charter and bundled TV and high speed internet for $60 a month. I never had issues and loved the service. If I could get them here I would in a second.

So, Ya'all wants to live in the sticks, eh??? :stickpoke:

I had a bundled plan with Time-Warner. They recently bought out our cable system. I thought it was too expensive so I started looking for ways to reduce the bill. I switched my phone service to Basic Talk from Walmart. $9.99 an month. Before switching I checked with TWC to determine how much my bill would go down and it was about $30. So I ported my number over. Then things went downhill from there. They continued to bill me phone service for two months after it ported over. I finally got through to someone that took care of dropping the phone and credited my money back. Then a couple of days later all service went out. The cancelled all of my service. Didn't find that out until the repair guy couldn't get to work when he came out. Now why send a technician out for someone without service? In addition they hit my credit card for $1400 because I didn't return the DVRs. Finally got it all straightened out and my bill went down $29/month. I threatened to go to DSL and a satellite service but my neighbors convinced me that I would just be trading one set of problems for another.

Basic Talk is great, although the only people that call me on it are telemarketers.

Dennis

I have Comcast as my ISP. We subscribe to the HD Triple play and we're happy with the services, their equipment leaves a bit to be desired (old and used). Their WIFI modem SUCKS, no range at all. We had a terrible ground loop problem when the coax was hooked to the home theater receiver, it took 6 visits by their techs before they solved the problem, their fault, on the bright side, there was no charge to us for all the tech visits.

We had Direct TV at our hunting cabin nothing but problems with reception and customer service. Gave them the boot and now watch snowy local broadcast over the air, nearest broadcast tower is over 20 miles away. If there's a game we want to see, we go to the bar.

Direct TV sucks! There I said it,

Same here Brad. We had dish. Went to Direct and as soon as the contract was up switched back to Dish.. I hate Direct TV...

No cable out here either... Even though as subdivision 2 miles up the road has it we are not close enough here for them to waste their time.. Jeeze at 140 a month I don't see how its wasting their time..:mo money:

I dumped cable and put up an antenna.

I don't get as many channels but the channels I get, I get FREE.

If it's broadcast in HD, I get HD. FREE. The cable company wanted extra for this.

If there is something I want to see thats on a channel I dont get I can usually find it on the computer.

The antenna I bought cost less than $100 and I put over $100 a month back in my pocket.

The cable co. LIED and told me it would not work. I cant see ever going back to paying for TV.

This is just an idea for you satellite subscribers out there.

My Mom who is 70 and lives by herself, has Dish Network. She loves it, with one exception. When storms or even just heavy rain comes, she gets the blank screen thing. Arkansas is always in the top 5 of states that get tornados. Having a TV screen go blank when the weather man is tracking a tornado headed your way is not an option. It's about life or death.

So, I went to Best Buy and bought her one of those new High Def antenna's. There were several to choose from. I chose an RCA brand one that looks like a square plate. I screwed it into the TV input on her set, and after programming her TV for the channels, and moving the antenna around until I found a sweet spot, she now has the ability to watch NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, WB, and a few other channels in High Def coming free over the air. The major networks are clearer through the antenna than they are through Dish. She watches TV on the Dish Network 90% of the time, but if a storm or heavy rain comes, she switches the input to TV and watches the free stuff. It makes her feel safer.

Just a suggestion. I'm sure some of you have already thought of this.

Direct TV sucks! There I said it, I had nothing but bill problems and people who couldn't or wouldn't do their jobs to make it right. When you hire uneducated idiots to work in a resolution center, and they dont do what they say they will (numerous times) you loose customers. I canceled my subscription and to this day I dont have any pay tv. At some point I might put up an antenna, but thats very low on the priority and honey do list....

:2cents:

I agree, had Direct TV for 15 years and they just kept charging more and more and more. I told them I was a loyal customer and I wanted the same price that new customers were getting and all they would do was knock 10 dollars off of my bill so I told them to piss off! They used to have the best customer service out there, now just like everyone else, you have to talk to someone that can't speak a lick of English when you call. They will never see another dime from me guaranteed. They still send me letters saying they want me back and ive been gone for 4-5 years now. I like my cable better now anyway because it never goes out, especially during severe weather when you need it most. They lost a good customer!