IGNORED

Very sad news

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i never got to meet him but i know he was a great man as when i was in a time of need he stepped forward and helped me out like so many of you have after my accident i am with a heavy sad heart tonight with the hearing of this news Don (Gunboat) may you rest in peace and i will one day meet you in the future we all will see him again as he gets everything ready for us on the other side to ride with him God Speed Don and my condolences to his family he will be greatly missed by all of us Squidley i believe your right in celebrating Don i would like to suggest a M&E in his Honor to celebrate i don't know if i would be able to make it but i will surely try my best as that i believe is what he would do for us :depressed:

Gail and I are shocked to hear of Don's passing. We had the pleasure of meeting and camping next to him at the International last year in NY, and of course he just had to introduce Angel and I to the pecan coffee. He was such a kind,helpful and knowledgeable person that always had a smile and story to share. Don was one of many people on this site that we were looking forward to seeing and talking to again. In the short time we shared together, he enriched my life with his friendship. Don, you will be missed my friend. Prayers are being sent for his family and friends at this sorrowful time.

This is sad news indeed. When anything goes wrong with a member on this site the "Family " steps up to help. I try to explain to the Bride that this a unique group . 77 post so far for a man who has impacted many lives. You will be missed but not forgotten. If there is anything that needs to be done let us know. Rest now Don our friend your in good hands now . God bless, Bill & Crew

Squidley I believe your right in celebrating Don I would like to suggest a M&E in his Honor to celebrate I don't know if I would be able to make it but I will surely try my best as that I believe is what he would do for us

Paul,

After I got a better grip on this yesterday, I started thinking along the same lines. I spoke with Lonna and Monkey Boy about it last night. There WILL be some sort of a memorial ride in Don's honor. I am actually thinking of making it an annual thing. Don was bouncing around the idea of a M&E ride to Blue Bell Ice Cream plant in Brenham Texas. I am strongly leaning towards that being the memorial ride in his honor. We'll get past this and then we'll figure something out, but we will make something happen.

Don will be missed. I met him at the Kitchener International with his daughter. He's a true gentleman and family man. I believe he had a mechanical failure on his bike, and I remember how everyone rallied together to help him with repairs. It's great to see how everyone here helps each other out in a time of need.

Mary & I send our condolences and prayers to Don and his family.

I want to share something with y'all, Monkey Boy and I were just talking on the phone. Many have mentioned here that Don would want us to celebrate his life, and they are absolutely right. I know many of us are still reeling from this, and this is to be expected.

Dave mentioned about 3 of us, that were given a gift by Gunboat. There were actually 5 of these gifts given, but only 3 were delivered to the final phase of the gift. Don baptized 3 of us in the Brazos, as master of ceremonies, he applied the soaking. When Dave mentioned this it made me laugh, and cry at the same time. I am so very fortunate to have been able to call Gunboat my friend, he really was like my 2nd father, and I loved him dearly....I still do.

So I wanted to post some "Fun" pics of Don being....Don, and blessing, David, Lonna and myself in the Brazos to make us officially Texans!

BTW: The other 2 Passports were given to Gary N and Bruce Iller from Ontario Canada

Well dang. I didn't think that you Michigan boys and girls could EVER be true Texans but I guess I was wrong. If Gunboat went through all of that for you....I have to concede the point.

Well done Don. :)

Don will be missed. I met him at the Kitchener International with his daughter. He's a true gentleman and family man. I believe he had a mechanical failure on his bike, and I remember how everyone rallied together to help him with repairs.

Here some pics of that breakdown Jerry, it turned out to be his battery. We were leaning towards the R/R and I took the one off my new '08 that I had just bought, that wasn't it, so we swapped it back and I took my new battery out of that same bike and thats what the problem was. I remember I told him that if we couldn't get it fixed that I was going to take my trailer and drive him back to Texas....I remember that like it was yesterday

:)

When I signed on today - I never ever expected to read of Don's passing. I'm obviously one of many that have been greatly saddened by this. Whenever I would meet up with the "Houston gang" Don would always come over to greet me and shake my hand. I will miss that, I will miss him. I'm going for a ride now and have the wind sweep away my tears.

Paul,

After I got a better grip on this yesterday, I started thinking along the same lines. I spoke with Lonna and Monkey Boy about it last night. There WILL be some sort of a memorial ride in Don's honor. I am actually thinking of making it an annual thing. Don was bouncing around the idea of a M&E ride to Blue Bell Ice Cream plant in Brenham Texas. I am strongly leaning towards that being the memorial ride in his honor. We'll get past this and then we'll figure something out, but we will make something happen.

im up for that thanks Squidley

I'm in shock! Caught a post on Facebook about Don and came straight to the site to check. I was planning on seeing him at Galena this year as the Houston crowd didn't have anything planned before then. He has been a good friend to me ever since I joined the Houston group going on something like 4 years now.

He will be sorely missed by us all.

Paul,

That sounds awesome as Val and I were thinking the same thing. Oh yeah a funny thing happened last night. As you know I am Halalmost There and we were going out to dinner last night with the wedding group on our bike, and using the GPS. It took us to the wrong resteraunt. So then I put it in again with a little bit of a different name to the resteraunt we rode down the road a couple of miles from there and took a right and on the right hand side of the road was a big business and on the Side of the building it said Blue Bell Ice Cream. Unbeliveable but TRUE and on the end of that street was the resteraunt we needed to be at. We hope you can wait till we get back this week from our trip. We are 30 miles just outside of Memphis. We would really like to go on that ride with y'all. Don was truly an awesome guy and he will be missed. But, if you go before we get back we understand. We should be back by this Wednesday.

Hal n Val

I really hate that I didn't get to meet Don. He seemed so nice and I like the way he always ended his posts "Regards". He was and is obviously loved and missed. How can one not want to meet a man like that. RIP Gunboat.

Paul,

PLEASE make it when we are in Texas. :bowdown:

That sounds awesome as Val and I were thinking the same thing. Oh yeah a funny thing happened last night. As you know I am Halalmost There and we were going out to dinner last night with the wedding group on our bike, and using the GPS. It took us to the wrong resteraunt. So then I put it in again with a little bit of a different name to the resteraunt we rode down the road a couple of miles from there and took a right and on the right hand side of the road was a big business and on the Side of the building it said Blue Bell Ice Cream. Unbeliveable but TRUE and on the end of that street was the resteraunt we needed to be at. We hope you can wait till we get back this week from our trip. We are 30 miles just outside of Memphis. We would really like to go on that ride with y'all. Don was truly an awesome guy and he will be missed. But, if you go before we get back we understand. We should be back by this Wednesday.

Hal n Val

Hal,

His hand still guides us, he will always be with us, especially this Houston crew, he was our patriarch. I totally believe you, it's just like you to make the wrong turn (GPS guided) and pull up next to that, that is so funny I had to laugh out loud!

We wont be doing a ride immediately, we'll let things settle down and we'll plan something towards the middle or end of next month.

PLEASE make it when we are in Texas. :bowdown:

Annie....we can work on that, lets see how things play out. I have to get ahold of customer relations at Blue Bell and I'll fill them in on what we are planning. Let me see how it all will fit together and if we can accommodate it while your here in Texas, we will.

Annie....we can work on that, lets see how things play out. I have to get ahold of customer relations at Blue Bell and I'll fill them in on what we are planning. Let me see how it all will fit together and if we can accommodate it while your here in Texas, we will.

Thank you for considering it my friend :bighug::bighug:

I am so sad to learn of Don's passing. He was such a larger-than-life figure here in the VRO community. He was one of the first members I met, and his overall goodness was immediately evident. He was kind, giving, talented, funny, humble... and such a good sport. He talked softly and yet wasn't afraid to use the Big Hammer when needed. :rotfl:

I'll always look around when we have group meetings, and expect to see him. And he'll be missed.

Hal n Val

I know it's what Don would like for us to do,

:thumbsup2:

but i thought this is what Don would like us to do eat BluBell icecream and lots of it