IGNORED

Pay me now, or........

Captainkirk

....don't pay me at all.

I guess that's the thinking, anyway. I did some work for a local Venture owner (sad to say, a member on this forum, although I don't think he's ever posted here-he registered after I recommended the site to him) last summer. Let me start at the beginning. I am a professional mechanic for a living (not motorcycles) who also happens to be be a bike owner, rider and mechanic. I decided to open a little side biz working on bikes to earn a little cash on the side (mostly to support my bike hobby!) and invested in a Handy Lift and a lot of tools for my home shop. I took on a job on this guy's Venture with a whole laundry list of problems to fix. He dropped off the bike around the first of June last year with a $50.00 deposit for parts & whatnot. He knew up front I charged $40.00/hr, and as I worked off the problems I informed him as to what had been done, and what was left. He kept adding on things to fix as we went along. At the end of the first week I'd already used up the deposit money on fluids, parts, etc, and I called him up and informed him that I'd need more money if there were any more parts needed. I mentioned that the labor bill was starting to "get up there" (it was about $400.00 at that point) but he brushed it off and laughed...."I'm not worried about it" were his exact words.... Now I can see why. I carried on with the work, paring it down to a wiring nightmare issue somebody else had Frankensteined together, and an intermittant CLASS system problem that went from not working at all, to working most of the time. In the end, the bill was around $800.00. I had kept in touch via emails after the bill hit the $500.00 mark with no negative responses. About the third week of June he called saying he needed the bike for a weekend jaunt and wanted to pick it up Friday; he'd bring a check. OK, fine. But I wasn't going to be home; I was going to a car show. He asked if I'd leave the bike outside. No problem, I said. I'll leave the invoice on the instrument panel. Just leave the check in my mailbox.

Well, you guessed it. No check. He'd respond to my emails alright, offering excuses and apologies, but nothing else. My last contact with him was a week before Christmas, hinting I could really use the money for the Holidays. More excuses, more apologies. But no money.

The bill was almost $900.00 by hours worked. I'd knocked off over $200.00 due to the fact there was some head-scratching involved and that the CLASS system was still intermittant. The bill reflected this credit.

Now, part of this is, naturally, my fault. I never should have released the bike without payment, "friend" or not. But I had more work coming in, no room to store the bike, and ........he was a "friend".

Maybe he felt like he didn't need to pay me, as I was not a "professional" motorcycle mechanic?

Maybe he had good intentions.....but we all know what the road to hell is paved with.....

Maybe he thought that, as an acquaintance, I should sacrifice my family time for his hobby?

Maybe he had no intention of paying the bill in the first place (as my wife believes) and played me for a sucker?

I run a clean business. I email my customers with progress updates several times a week complete with photos and keep in phone contact. My invoices are detailed and professional. I guess the reason for this post is (1) to vent, and (2) to advise you guys out there to keep in touch with your mechanic, don't give carte blanche unless you intent to pay for it, and in the end, if you owe it, be a man, suck it up and pay it. I would've happily taken partial payments or made arrangements or even adjusted the bill if there was any dissention about any particular items. His silence on the matter indicates there was not. But to blow me off completely shows me there was really never any intention to pay up to begin with. (3) Your mechanic doesn't work on other people's bikes as a hobby or excuse to get away from his family. He's trading time he could be relaxing, spending time with family, or even working overtime at his "real" job. He's trading that, in the hopes you will play square with him and compensate him for the time he invested in YOUR hobby.

Yeah, I know I could drag the guy into small claims, or begin and continue harrassing him with emails, letters or phone calls, or make threats. But that's just not my way of doing business. He has, however, lost a mechanic in the future, unless he squared up with interest and late fees, and paid for future work UP FRONT.

So, guys, remember this when your favorite wrench asks for a deposit, or payment in full on delivery. He's not being a jerk. He's protecting his interests.

Sad to say, out of all my customers, the Venture rider is the only one who stiffed me.

I would appreciate any and all comments and opinions on this thread.

Guest Saddletramp

Kind of sounds like he had you dialed in all the way. Sorry that he got you the way he did, but it's time to expose the jerk for what he is before he hammers one of your freinds. First time shame on him, second time, shame on you. Sorry about that, but the con games go on and on and on....... you get my drift?

I see nothing wrong with your side of the story, but you wrote it, I didn't really hear you speak and that does make somewhat of a difference. In either case, I would like to hear his side before I'd make up my mind on this, if he has a side. It's important to be fair.

I too do a lot of side work (electrical), and I've only had 1 customer stiff me. Same deal, had to move a tan salon in a weekend, but my bill was 3750, which she knew up front. Got all but 850 of it. It's been 4 months since she gave me anything, middle of winter, know she's making money. Going to small claims next. DOn't work for free except for my wife!!!! That's my bike money!!!!!

Dan

Guest kozman01

I really don't know what his "side" of the story could be. Fact is, this "customer" did not pay his bill that was due for work performed, period. To OP, I know you don't want to go the Small Claims route, but I tell everyone who has "small" issues like this that small claims is a blessing. 30 bucks and you can get a judgement against the guy that will follow him everywhere. If you let this fool go, who truly is the fool. USe what legal remedies you have. Unfortunately, you can't go old school on him and just take the bike from him, so USE the courts for a reason that they are there. Too many people abuse the court system, be one of those people that use it for its intended purpose, to right a wrong. 30 bucks and a paragraph explaining what happened, too simple NOT to do. Just my two cents, I HATE liars, cheats and thieves.

I see nothing wrong with your side of the story, but you wrote it, I didn't really hear you speak and that does make somewhat of a difference. In either case, I would like to hear his side before I'd make up my mind on this, if he has a side. It's important to be fair.

Well here's his chance to tell his side of the story or PAY UP! Otherwise we put him on the S--- List.:buttkick:

I'd think along the lines of a mechanics lean on the bike, or small claims court. That's going to be your only recourse....unless you have a cousin Guido... You say the guy is a member of this board on your recommendation, and has never posted, so I don't think it's going to be of much benefit posting his name, but he has the option of responding if he feels like sharing his side of the story.... and he feels like coming out of the closet. It's unfortunate that this happened, but trust is earned not a right on this board or any other. Just because someone joins this board, doesn't make him or her automatically trustworthy. Just like in life, trust comes from familiarity.....

Sorry to hear that you got stiffed.

Now to the small claims court thing. I had an electronics/satellite store back in NY years back. It also was a side job but I was doing well with it and had employees. Long story the short way, I had a customer (a lawyer) who stiffed me for about 6 grand worth of satellite and electronics equipment for his new house. I of course took him to small claims court after 4 months of sending him registered letters. Well we get to court and the first thing the judge asked me is if I payed taxes and had a permit to operate a business in the state. Of course I did having employees who I paid taxes on and I had all the paper work which was required by the state to do business.

My point here is that if you can't prove you are operating a legal business you MIGHT have a problem in small claims court so if you go that way don't tell the jugde you have a side business, tell the judge you were just doing a friend a favor and you want your money, of course unless you have all the permits required that is.

Hope you get your money from your so called friend, he doesn't sound like a friend to me.

It's a shame to get stiffed like you did.

It appears that the only smart buisness folks out there in this cruel world are the street smart hookers..

They get thier money up front ..before any services are rendered..:whistling:

And you know this...how?? :confused24: :rotf:

I have simalar story but on a pickup, wound up going to small claims court I "won" however the guys truck was in impound because he reported it stolen as soon as I told him it was done, so I took him to court. The Judge awarded me 1400.00 (parts and labor and my lawyer fees) and gave him the truck. I now have a judgement against him and have never recieved a dime nor has my lawyer, he now lives in texas and any futher legal action would be way expensive. I really dont know what else I could have done except asked the judge to not give him the truck till I had the cash in my hand.

:mo money:

I run a small bus. sounds like you did everything rite, the guy is an a*** hole, everybody has run into one, dont beat yourself up over it. The one and only time I ever got stiffed in 25 years was by a good friend of my wife, Hopefully you will be lucky and it wont happen again. Craig

:confused24: when i were younger,about10 - 15 years ago , i used to do bodywork and painting as a hobby.. only people to ever stiff me was a preacher... and a car lot owner ( who claimed to be religious) ... now that was a real burn.. trust no one?? no that is not really fair.. there are lots of honest good people out there..

:confused24: when i were younger,about10 - 15 years ago , i used to do bodywork and painting as a hobby.. only people to ever stiff me was a preacher... and a car lot owner ( who claimed to be religious) ... now that was a real burn.. trust no one?? no that is not really fair.. there are lots of honest good people out there..

I the world of computer security I always say "In God we trust" everyone else is suspect.

Thanks to all those who offered their advice and comments.

I'm aware of the small claims option. I'm choosing not to exercise it at this point in time for two reasons;

1) Red Tape. I am not licensed as a small business, and as was previously mentioned, judges are not too sympathetic in he said/she said cases such as these. Also, I work out of my own garage, in a residentially zoned district. You don't run into the arena waving a red flag at the bull (judge). This could cause way more trouble than 900 smackers is worth. I know the guy has enough money to have given me at least something since last June; he's choosing to ignore the situation and hoping it (and myself) will go away. As I mentioned, I'll not work on his machine again, unless he comes clean with me, pays up his account, and pre-pays all future deals. Given what I've seen in the past, I doubt this will ever come to pass. Chalk up $900.00 as tuition to the School of Harde Knox.

2) I still have a trump card. I have, in my possession, his other motorcycle, an early Venture Royale he bought to restore but after checking into it I told him it would cost more to rebuild than it was worth. Though I don't have the title, I can ebay the parts off this machine (at my expense, naturally) and try to recoup some of the loss. This much I intend to do.

As for ratting the guy out, I know I should. But I don't know his personal or financial situation (although he appears to be much better off than I am.....I'm the one working late nights in the garage for extra cash) but we all know people are not always as they appear to be. For the protection of others in the Chicago area who work on Ventures and might get a phone call seeking services, however, I'll offer up this; PM me, tell me the person in question's name, and I'll tell you yes or no. That way I can't be accused of slandering or personal attacks. You can do as you choose at that point.

I just don't want anyone else to get burned. Once is enough.

(Psssst...wanna buy some Venture parts?):whistling:

Guest kozman01

Now is the time to move on the lien against the motorcycle your currently in possession of. In Ohio, say a wrecker operator tows your car for you and you fail to pay him, in 30 days, he can apply for title to it and do whatever he wants with it.

Now is the time to move on the lien against the motorcycle your currently in possession of. In Ohio, say a wrecker operator tows your car for you and you fail to pay him, in 30 days, he can apply for title to it and do whatever he wants with it.

:sign yeah that:

You'll probably have to have a licnece to do that as well.

Few people left in the world that has a conscience. I pay all my bills on time and even paid some I didn't owe or was in question. Good credibility and a good name is the pride of a family.Learned some hard lessons to. I wish I had all the money people owe me.

Kirk,

I appreciate you not devulging the members name here on the site. That could get ugly real fast. As has been mentioned there are 2 sides to every story. This is in no way saying that what you have told us should not be viewed as the whole truth. This members lack of communication is very damning to him personally. I agree with everyone here about pushing it a far as you want. Your owed the money and this fella should step up and be a man and pay the bill.

Fortunately this doesn't happen here on the site often. I can only think of a couple of times that something like this has occured here. It's a sad day when you can't trust a fellow biker, but this is the real world and sometimes they will creep in. If I or anyone of the Moderators can be of assistance, please let us know. I do agree that we dont need a member that will take advantage of another here on this site.

Let us know how it goes for you and if we can help you along with this :happy34: