IGNORED

Caliper Fell Off

uechi kid

While on a trip from Nor*Cal to Sedona I had a caliper on the front fall off. Some how the bolts worked loose. Before the trip I replaced the front tire and I know for a fact that I torqued the bolts to spec.

Anyone else have this happen? Also, is there any issue with using a dab of lock tight on the threads?

I think you may need to get a new torque wrench or at least get the one you used check for accuracy. If the bolts were at the correct torque, they should not have worked loose.

Earl

How would one check the accuracy of a torque wrench? If that's a possibility I will replace it, but I think lock tight is going to be a part of every important bolt I tighten in the future.

Keep in mind that you are screwing a Steel Bolt into a Aluminum Thread! These two dissimilar metals expand and contract at two different rates. My guess is the female thread in the Aluminum Caliper Body has been "stretched", making it sloppy. I have had to junk more than a few calipers because the threads in the Caliper Body have been pulled completely out. If you were able to torque the bolt to the proper torque spec. and you didn't strip the thread, then Blue Loctite is going to be a must on those caliper bolts from now on. Because of the tremendous amount of heat that the caliper bodies are exposed to, your problem caliper is "on it's last legs" so to speak. If you use the Blue Loctite this time, you will very likely pull the threads out the next time you remove this caliper. I say this so you can have a replacement caliper ready to install in case the threads fail completely. :confused24:

Earl

If you use the Blue Loctite this time, you will very likely pull the threads out the next time you remove this caliper. I say this so you can have a replacement caliper ready to install in case the threads fail completely. :confused24:

Earl

Is there room to put a longer bolt in and use a nut behind it if the threads get pulled?

Gary

uechi kid- u haven't said if ur laid up or not. I'm the nearest member to Sedona so let me know. I have some knowledge but few tools. But I do have a nice garage should you need it. No- I have no truck nor trailer.

P.S. Well.....I do know where I could probly borrow a truck. But I don't wanna be lifting a Venture into a 3/4 ton pickup! I get a hernia just thinkin of it!

Edited by abusive throttle cranker

uechi kid- u haven't said if ur laid up or not. I'm the nearest member to Sedona so let me know. I have some knowledge but few tools. But I do have a nice garage should you need it. No- I have no truck nor trailer.

Sorry, forgot to mention our results. Semiretired, thanks for asking. The lower bolt fell out and was lost. The upper bolt had backed out all the was but didn't fall out because of the reflector. Installed the upper bolt in the lower hole, went to ACE hardware, removed the one bolt I had left. Found a bolt with the same threads and length (but not an exact match). Bought a washer and some blue Loctite and reinstalled the bolts with a dab of Loctite. I also checked the other side to make sure the were tight and they are.

It's Saturday night and we're still in Sedona and looking forward to seeing more of the area.

I'm very thankful that we are alright and it was something I could fix on the road' and that we have dual front brakes.

I've been thinking about doing the front brake up grade, I guess if my caliper might be damaged this might be a good time. :)

Sorry, forgot to mention our results. Semiretired, thanks for asking. The lower bolt fell out and was lost. The upper bolt had backed out all the was but didn't fall out because of the reflector. Installed the upper bolt in the lower hole, went to ACE hardware, removed the one bolt I had left. Found a bolt with the same threads and length (but not an exact match). Bought a washer and some blue Loctite and reinstalled the bolts with a dab of Loctite. I also checked the other side to make sure the were tight and they are.

It's Saturday night and we're still in Sedona and looking forward to seeing more of the area.

I'm very thankful that we are alright and it was something I could fix on the road' and that we have dual front brakes.

I've been thinking about doing the front brake up grade, I guess if my caliper might be damaged this might be a good time. :)

Ok cool. I'm gonna crash then. Glad u were able to fix it so easily.

Hi,

I had a conversation with someone who builds bicycles from aluminum, he told me that every time you tourqe an alu thread, you lose ten percent of its holding ability. Not to belabor the issue, but maybe we all should be figuring to check our bolts often.

Hello Everyone: Before finding this forum. I trusted dealers to maintain my bike. I soon learned that everyone including me can make a mistake. During on out of town trip another dealer replaced my rear brake pads and inspected my front pads. Mechanic must have forgot to tighten the front caliper bolts. I got about 30 miles down the road when I began to notice an unfamiliar chattering sound in the front end. I pulled into the parking lot of a mini mart and discovered the lower bolt completely missing and the upper bolt almost out. Thanks to the reflector it could not fall out. It was now after their closing hours, dark and 200 miles from home. I tightened the upper bolt and rode slow to my motel room. Contacted the dealer the next day and they apologized and fixed me up new bolts. After this incident I work on my own bike a lot more. So much to learn from the members of this site.:)

When removing the front tire I need to take both calipers off first or it's a PITA getting the tire out. And... I don't use a torque wrench to re-tighten the bolts. I do keep in mind that the threads are aluminum and not 'wrench' on them too much. Snug+ does it for me. I have never had a caliper loosen up. I can see where it might happen if the front axle bearings are getting a bit worn, and starting to develop a harmonic that will loosen a bolt. My first Venture caliper had a thread striped out and I had to pick up another caliper off eBay. A little later on I had to rebearing the front wheel as I was starting to feel a slight viabration coming thru the bars. I think the bolt was loosening up on the PO and he striped the threads out trying to keep it tight. Anyway, problem solved. I did recaliper with R1's later on, but not because there was anything wrong with the OEM's...

My profressional assessment is that you probably torqued one side and overlooked the other? At 29ft/lbs and forget the locktite, they will not back out.

While on a trip from Nor*Cal to Sedona I had a caliper on the front fall off. Some how the bolts worked loose. Before the trip I replaced the front tire and I know for a fact that I torqued the bolts to spec.

Anyone else have this happen? Also, is there any issue with using a dab of lock tight on the threads?

My professional assessment is that you probably torqued one side and overlooked the other? At 29ft/lbs and forget the locktite, they will not back out.

I can certainly see how that might be the logical assessment, I even thought that at first. But when I thought back and reviewed my procedure I reconsidered. When I removed the wheel I started on the right side and then did the left side. When I got the wheel off I left the tools on the left side until I returned from the dealer with my tire. Then I reversed the process starting on the left side and finishing on the right side. Unlikely that I forgot to torque them but, it is possible. I'm definitely not a professional mechanic but I was being careful and was referring to the torque specs as I went.

Never had that problem but I know what I'm checking when i get home tonight....took the cage today....

Oh yeah,, shifter bolt, shifter bolt, shifter bolt.....ok, im over it now, lost mine on a recent 2500 mile ride...kinda weird riding 100 or so miles without stoping or shifting then pull off for gas and try to downshift....no big deal but just a little "houston we got a problem" moment. ha.

I thought only Harley bolts have auto-reverse on them...ha...

Haven't had it happen on my Yamaha yet (though today Im putting on new tires front and rear so i'll check it thoroughly), but it did happen on my honda some years back as i was riding to a charity run. lost both bolts and the bike was useless to me . so i limped home and had to swish to my side car rig.