IGNORED

The "Drive thru Window" At Skydoc_17's House Is Now Open!

skydoc_17

As many of you know, last September, I moved to a new (to me) home. This past Sunday afternoon, my brother James, my wife Jean, and our new 10 week old puppy, and of course myself, were "hangin' out" in one of the bedrooms I have converted into an office/media room. Around 2PM, a gent and his wife, decided to add a new window to that room....WITH THEIR CAR! It appears as if little damage was done to the house, but in fact, the car sheared off the main electrical service to the house, and knocked this end of our house off of the foundation piers. Unknown to me, in the state of Pennsylvania, if you have a "sudden medical condition" your Auto Ins. isn't libel for the damages! Who knew! The other end of the house was constructed in 2005, but this end of the house was constructed in 1949. My Ins. Adjuster wants to condemn the house, or have it repaired, and I cover the cost of the movement, and they replace the walls. It has not been confirmed that the driver has in fact had a "sudden medical condition", but my Ins. adjuster is pushing to start repairs ASAP. With me covering ANY costs that are found to be not related to the accident at a later date. The Ins adjuster brought his own contractor, and between the two of them, it sounded like this is going to cost ME a pretty penny. Some advice or suggestions for any members that are familiar with the Ins. industry would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a few pics. I am currently using my brother's computer to convey these pics and passages. For anyone that has recently ordered parts from me, PLEASE be patient, I have them ready to go, but I am a bit distracted at the moment.

Earl

Sorry to hear of the bad luck, but insurance can be such rip off. Glad you're ok. If the guy didn't have a medical condition before he hit my house he would have by the time I got done with him. You just can't fix stupid.

If he does have a medical condition, I would do everything I could do to make sure he never drives again and let the guy know you will be persueing this. I would also take the pictures and visit an attorney. I would make his insurance prove that he has a medical condition and prove it in court. There is no way in hell that you should be footing the bill for any of this. And, if my electrical service was not good, someone would be paying for my family to stay in a nice hotel.

RandyA

Had good friends of mine that went through this about 7 or 8 years ago cost them about 20 k they had no ins. and a drunk driver hit thier house and had no ins. knocked thier house about 8 to 10 inches and twisted the whole house they did get it fixed and moved back in but took a couple years good luck

I'm not a lawyer, but just because his insurance does not "cover" this, it does not mean HE is NOT liable, does it? If he has a medical condition and was still driving in spite of it, would he not be negligent? As others have said contact a lawyer

Gross negligence on the part of the driver medical condition or not. A good attorney could help get this handle with one letter. Get one immediately if not sooner. No one says also you have to agree with the adjustor, or take his first offer. If your policy is replacement cost policy they have to replace or restore your house to 100%. They cannot adjust for age if it is a replacement cost coverage policy. I am not a lawyer so this is not legal advice but something you would want to consider.

Earl, You are sitting in your house and it gets hit.. The driver is responsible no matter how you look at it because he failed to maintain control. Get a lawyer and make him pay for all of it. i was taught to be responible for my actions. So should he....

Dang Earl hate to here that but your adjuster and his personal contractor sound like crooks. Think I would be making a phone call to your Ins. co. home office and let them know your next call will be to your Lawyer. I would think your ins. co. should have to deal with the other parties ins. co.

That sucks Earl. I'm not a big fan grabbing a lawyer over stuff but I'd have good one in a headlock over this one big time!

If this guy has any kind of medical issues in his past and still driving somebody should be stepping up real fast and waving money at you to settle up before it goes to court.

Just ain't right man.:no-no-no: Hope it works out in your favor.

Mike

Hey Earl, I'm truly sorry to hear of this and I sure wish you good luck as you deal with this. Wish I could offer you some help but it sounds to me from the other posts that your first step should be legal advice. I hate it when that happens.

Don't sign anything. Don't agree with the adjuster. Don't be nice - do be business-like.

Get the lawyer.

Get photos. Check. Make lists, when you got it, with full replacement value fair estimate.

Keep track of the time you (and others) put into this, and other potential losses and expenses. Get estimates from people you would want doing the work.

This is a contest of documentation.

get 2-3 estimates on cost of repairs.... It sounds like the insurance adjuster is trying to rip you off. Agree to nothing till you have gotten independant estimates... I do some insurance work here in VA and the insurance estimates are usually low but i'm able to help out the homeowners adjust the insurance payout....Also as others have said contact a lawyer. the insurance company will want to settle as quickly as posible.... don't let them.

(quote) - The Ins adjuster brought his own contractor

This answered my theroy as soon as I read it.

So I have to ask you.....if you ever asked yourself this question:

Why in the world would an insurance adjuster bring his own contractor to my house without coming by first by himself to assess the damages, and then explain to you that there are some concerns he has and he is not that well experienced in, and would like to contact a contractor (or have you contact one of your own) and set up a meeting at your house with all parties to go over those items that may be out of the adjusters scope / knowledge...

I would call 2 to 3 contractors and request estimates. You insurance company doesnt even need to know you are doing this. Then contact an attourney and give him COPIES of your 2 /3 estimates and ask him to contact your insurance company..Ask him to also contact the drivers insurance company for the credible evidence they have in regards to the drivers health and root cause of the accident.

Was a drug test taken? Blood work taken at the hospital (if the driver even went there). The blood test results could prove DUI or drugs.......and then again the driver could be diabetic...

If his insurance wont cover the costs due to him being diabetic, then why in the world did they give him vehicle insurance in the first place....(oh, just to take his money....:whistling:)

As a matter or course, I hate lawyers...all but 1. (He's a friend of the family.)

You've recieved a lot of good advice, and all I can add is to reiterate what others are saying. Agree to nothing, sign nothing, accept nothing...get a lawyer you can trust. Hopefully there was a police report too.

Glad you were all ok. Good luck!

One thing I would add, and I agree to ALL that was said, what ever you do, who ever you talk to, let them know that everything is being recorded, names, phone numbers, times, pictures of those in attendance, what was said and promised. Get a book, write it all down as the meetings take place, so in other words, take minutes. You'd be surprised at change in the attendees attitudes and what they say or advise.

Earl,

I'm a bit confused here. When you say "your" insurance adjuster, are you referring to the auto owners insurance or your home owners insurance.

If you are dealing with the auto owners insurance, I would strongly recommend that you get your home owners insurance involved. Let the two insurance companies fight it out.