IGNORED

Tough Call

uncledj

I got a job offer at a different company. They'll pay $1.50 above Union Scale, 5 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation.

Where I work now pays scale, (which is pretty good $$$), I get 1 week paid vacation, (and I'm the only Union guy in the company that even gets that), no paid holidays.

The thing is that I've been at this outfit for 15 years, and breakin' up is hard to do. I know all the policies / procedures where I'm at, and I understand the politics of the place.

Another big consideration is that where I work now; nearly all my work is on the roofs of malls and plazas, putting up ladders in all weather.

I ain't gittin' any younger.

The new job I'm looking at will have very little of that.

I think I know what I need to do, but it's scary stuff. I have a job that pays quite well.....a job many people would kill for, and I'm about to quit.

It's got me tied up in knots.:shock3:

Guest scarylarry

This maybe your answer:

nearly all my work is on the roofs of malls and plazas, putting up ladders in all weather.

I guess the thing to help make the decision is some research into the new company.

Are they hiering because some one left, or cuz their growing.

If it is cuz someone left, WHY did they leave?

In other words, how stable and secure is the new place?

The stability issue is something worth looking into I would think. And do they have enough work to stay busy. Also where does that put you in the food chain? Are you going to be in a "jounior" position or does your previous union affiliation do you any good? I would hate to see a guy with 15+ yr experience go to work for a guy with say 4yr and him give you all the toter jobs.

Like ScaryLarry said...... I know about the not getting younger, I worked for a heating contractor that paid well. Here all the labour code says we all get a min of 2 weeks holidays and after 10 years you get a third... plus the "Statutory Holidays" are all paid some unions get even more holidays. But working for the contractor on call 24/7 at times. I gave it up for about $5.00 an hour less to go work in a plant that is supposed to be better hours and less overtime.

At this point in life you gotta think of the big picture... time off is probably the biggest bonus you can get as you get older... believe it or not but time with the other half gets more valuable every day..... oooh yeah and more time to ride as well. I was with heating company 18 years... they helped me get all the trade tickets and they were always good to their staff for a mom and pop shop but a time comes when you can no longer work like you are 20 anymore.

Think of you first, the other half is part of you. If the other job is secure go for it.

I'm a top journeyman now, and I'd be a top journeyman at the new place.

I'm a commercial / industrial HVAC Tech. It's something that takes years to get good at. The experience is a big part of what it takes to be a sage tech.

I wouldn't be the new guy as far as pecking order, but I would go in not knowing the personalities of most of my co workers and superiors, and would have to step lightly until I get to know the turf.

That'll be an adjustment, 'cause where I am now I rule the roost. I'm one of 3 guys in the area. I'm the lead guy, and they leave me alone, and my nearest "kinda boss" is 2 1/2 hours away. With the new job, I'd be part of 50 or so other techs in the same metro area. I've talked to some of the techs, and they all seem pretty happy....turnover is pretty much nonexistent, so the people who work there must be happy.

It'll be an adjustment, but I think I gotta do it.

Just lookin' for some wisdom and opinions on the matter.

John,

I'm at the same point you are, I'm not getting any younger. I have to say that I would strongly consider that position. Time off work is important and the added $ is always good to have. I personally would go for it, your old enough to judge folks and interact well enough. Once you prove to them you know your stuff, you'll fit right in....:2cents:

Been there done that. At the age of 47 with 31 years of seniority. I made a voluntary job change. I laid awake nights for several months before deciding to make a change. I enjoyed Top pay, 5 weeks vacation, Paid holidays but did not enjoy working for a corporate giant any longer. I still had 17 more years to go. I finally decided all of my benefits were not worth it if I was not happy. I gave notice and moved on. Even better pay, 3 weeks vacation and holidays. I no longer work outside, climb poles or do extension ladder work and I LOVE it. I paid my dues and now enjoy going to work each day. Change is not always bad. I know it is not easy, but I am glad I did. That was over 3 years ago. Keep us posted. :)

I would talk to my supervisor and tell him that you want to cut back or eliminate the roof work and only do ground level work (or whatever you want to negotiate for). See what he says, then let him know you have another offer that doesn't involve the high work and see if he is willing to compromise with you. If he doesn't then move on.

In my old profession (design engineer) I wouldn't change jobs unless they offered me substantially more than i was making (6K to 10K) plus I always negotiated more vacation time, bonuses, or benefits than was offered to a "newbie". I changed jobs four times (as an engineer) and always got what I wanted. I'm retired now, so I don't know what the market is like now.

The company that made the offer must feel you are qualified, otherwise they wouldn't have made the offer. So if the pay and benefits are acceptable, go for it. Use the power of the Internet to check out the financial stability and reputation of the company you are considering. If it is a publicly traded company, there is a lot of info available.

Good luck to you.

Jim

Wow ,now this is a coincidence.I been with the same company 15 years now and up untill recently I loved my job,even though I too ask myself how much longer can I do this work.I got fantastic benefits and pay for this area,it is just putting up with the politics at work that was hard.Our plant manager retired and that meant people moving up the ladder and my take on it was let the ass kissing begin.So now we have 3 new people in the 3 top positions in the plant,none of them being qualified for those positions I might add.My immediate supervisor stabbed me in the back before he got the job at a bar one night because he thought I was going for the supervisor of maintenance job,which I wasn't because I knew he would get it since he golfs with the new plant manager and drinks with him,even though I been there 10 more years than he did and been there since before we got up and running.So I been struggling with what to do.55 year old maintenance mechanics are not to much in demand,too many employers do descriminate because of age.But the stress of working for a guy with so little knowledge and who after only being in this position 2 weeks has already threw two of us maintenance mechanics under the bus so to speak to save his butt from being ripped.I just keep telling myself only 10 more years of this and I am done.So I too am faced with a decision,how much more can I take before I make the decision to move on or stick it out in hopes that eventually he falls on his face bad enough for corporate to step in and get rid of him.(His supervisor who used to be my supervisor already came to me and said my God I thought he knew more than that) So as it stands for me and the rest of us mechanics in the plant we have decided we have to cross our T's and dot our I's and cover our own backs cause no one else will be there in our defense.Thank God I get 225 hours of paid time of besides holidays this year.I will be doing a lot more riding this year I believe.That is my therapy,my stress reliever so to speek but with 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground it is out of the question.When I get on my bike I am not a 55 year old man anymore and my problems from the day or whatever go on the back burner so come on good weather.Sorry to have rambled on guys.

Uncle DJ, if you like where you are, and I assume they like having you around, perhaps you should mention to management that you are considering another offer, and give them a chance to match it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dale.

Wow ,now this is a coincidence.I been with the same company 15 years now and up untill recently I loved my job,even though I too ask myself how much longer can I do this work.I got fantastic benefits and pay for this area,it is just putting up with the politics at work that was hard.Our plant manager retired and that meant people moving up the ladder and my take on it was let the ass kissing begin.So now we have 3 new people in the 3 top positions in the plant,none of them being qualified for those positions I might add.My immediate supervisor stabbed me in the back before he got the job at a bar one night because he thought I was going for the supervisor of maintenance job,which I wasn't because I knew he would get it since he golfs with the new plant manager and drinks with him,even though I been there 10 more years than he did and been there since before we got up and running.So I been struggling with what to do.55 year old maintenance mechanics are not to much in demand,too many employers do descriminate because of age.But the stress of working for a guy with so little knowledge and who after only being in this position 2 weeks has already threw two of us maintenance mechanics under the bus so to speak to save his butt from being ripped.I just keep telling myself only 10 more years of this and I am done.So I too am faced with a decision,how much more can I take before I make the decision to move on or stick it out in hopes that eventually he falls on his face bad enough for corporate to step in and get rid of him.(His supervisor who used to be my supervisor already came to me and said my God I thought he knew more than that) So as it stands for me and the rest of us mechanics in the plant we have decided we have to cross our T's and dot our I's and cover our own backs cause no one else will be there in our defense.Thank God I get 225 hours of paid time of besides holidays this year.I will be doing a lot more riding this year I believe.That is my therapy,my stress reliever so to speek but with 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground it is out of the question.When I get on my bike I am not a 55 year old man anymore and my problems from the day or whatever go on the back burner so come on good weather.Sorry to have rambled on guys.

Hog, hopefully your new supervisor's incompetence will be recognized from his superiors and the problem will sort itself out (if management has any balls at all). Drinking and golfing buddies are great until too many screw ups affect the bottom line, or even worse, someone's safety.

Dale.

Karma has a way of coming back around.

I once had a boss who thought he walked on water..... I knew some day they were going to ask him to prove it.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Some times happy is better than money.

Bubber

I just did the same thing and it's working out. One thing I kept in mind is that you can't be assured of the political landscape on any given day. Somone else could move on tomorrow and you would no longer know the political landscape at your current employer. Same condition, treading lightly, without the bump in pay or benefits. Many years ago I left a place and it imploded later that year, I was a small fry there and really liked the folks I worked with but that one really worked out. The future is an unknown at your current place AND with your proposed move, why not make a jump up in compensation?

I would take it!

JK

Wow Wish you all the best. Tough decision to move on. Been dealing with a similar situation myself. Decided against it, stuck with the place I have been for over 23 years.

Again, I hope your decision work out the best for you.

BRad

I got a job offer at a different company. They'll pay $1.50 above Union Scale, 5 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation.

Where I work now pays scale, (which is pretty good $$$), I get 1 week paid vacation, (and I'm the only Union guy in the company that even gets that), no paid holidays.

The thing is that I've been at this outfit for 15 years, and breakin' up is hard to do. I know all the policies / procedures where I'm at, and I understand the politics of the place.

Another big consideration is that where I work now; nearly all my work is on the roofs of malls and plazas, putting up ladders in all weather.

The new job I'm looking at will have very little of that.

I think I know what I need to do, but it's scary stuff. I have a job that pays quite well.....a job many people would kill for, and I'm about to quit.

It's got me tied up in knots.:shock3:

Knowledge and know how aces all others... Theres a reason why your getting paid union wages(and no one else) and I'm doubting that it's because you kiss ass...lol

Good Luck in your new job!...

I got laid off from a decent job but three months at home was getting boring so took a lot lower paying job turned out to be a god send after fighting cancer three years ago the third shift life with a family was getting rough no sleep and working weekends now I have a day shift job and weekends off more time with the family and more therapy sessions on my bike sounds great to me:cool10: