IGNORED

Yikes! Now what?!

bmccck

Thanks for all the posts about the clutch whine. Sounds like enough of you are pretty annoyed with it. Is it a constant whine or just when the gears go through the 3K rpm range? Growing in my doubts about getting a bike that annoys a good number of its owners. Love the V-Four though.

Thanks for all the posts about the clutch whine. Sounds like enough of you are pretty annoyed with it. Is it a constant whine or just when the gears go through the 3K rpm range? Growing in my doubts about getting a bike that annoys a good number of its owners. Love the V-Four though.

Your last sentence is why you should buy the bike. THE V FOUR.

I guess I'm lucky to not have the whine on my 07 RSTD, but even if I did, I've fallen so hard for the V4 motor, I would still have the bike.

My experience with both my 98 Tour Classic and my current 07 Venture is that the wine is most prevalent at certian gear and RPM combinations. A slight change in speed or a change in gear can virtually eliminate the whine at any given time. I have after 150,000 combined miles on the two bikes gotten used to it and it really is not an issue, for me.

I've got two of them,,, V4's.

The only time I notice the whine as "loud" is when in the mountains going up a long grade with a load (me & wife or me & wife and pulling trailer). Probably pushing 3rd gear. But I know what it is,,,so,, ok.

Otherwise, sometimes I may notice it very lightly on a local ride but not loud or irritating.

But when I do hear it, it sound like percision gearing, not some grating rattle.

I'm good with what I got.

If I had it to do again,,, I would have 2 of them,,, V4's!

The whine isn't as prevalant and in your face at all times, like my 5 year old USED to be...

That said, there are so many reasons to love the bike that it just becomes part of the bikes allure. And with the reliability, the comfort of the ride, and most of all the loving wackerdoodles on this site, it's a minor player in any decision.

I worried about the whine also, before I bought our venture. I also worried it would be clumsy putting around town, especially considering we came from a smaller framed vulcan 88, not to mention the smaller displacement engine on the venture compared to the vulcan. I really liked the vulcan, my wife.....not so much (not comfortable). I was willing to try a bigger bike and put up with this whine thingy and a clumsy heavy bike in town so we could take trips if she were more comfortable.

Anyway.........I don't miss the Vulcan at all. The venture is not awkward at all around town. I don't even find the slow speed parking lot problems others speak about, heavier yes, awkward.....not even close, the smaller v-4 mops the floor with the vulcan 1500 v-twin (kind of knew that already from owning a v-65 Magna)........OH and that whine, maybe mine is one of the quiet ones, I don't even notice it much anymore. I remember hearing it when I first got the bike, but honestly can't remember the last time I heard it, and I was on it yesterday.

Think of it like the turbo whine on a diesel. That sure doesn't keep people from buying them.

You won't be disappointed with the performance, or the comfort, or the agility (for a big bike) with this one. Can't really say about the whine, again maybe mine's not that loud, but I rarely even hear it anymore.

:big-grin-emoticon:

If you are buying a used bike you know what to look for. The whine isn't on every bike... probably only a minority. Test ride whatever bike you come across and if you don't hear it... buy it. You won't be disappointed in a Venture !

To answer your question, the whine (if the bike has it) will appear at a certain rpm (let's say, for sake of arguement... 2800 rpm) and disappear (again, for sake of arguement) around 3100 rpm. It is noticeable in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. On mine, when in 5th gear, at that rpm, it wasn't bothersome due to the speed. I found it more bothersome when in 3rd and 4th.

Once again I will stress that... a) not all bikes have a whine loud enough to be bothersome; b) not all riders are bothered by the whine (depends on your own hearing); c) mine only bothered me SOMETIMES.

I did not sell my RSV because of the whine. I simply wanted a more powerful bike for pulling our tent trailer. Had it not been for that ONE REASON, we'd still be riding the RSV.

Do yourself a favour and go test ride the one you're interested in. If you find it whines and it bothers you, go test ride another. Quite frankly, you cannot go wrong with these bikes.

Hello: Regardless of what make of bike you purchase. I hope you will stick around. This site and extended family are priceless. My bike does have the whine at certain rpms, but it does not bother me. I am usually enjoying my music or the rumble of the bub pipes. When I do hear it, it reminds me of Jetsons cartoon and I feel like a kid again and laugh. I really like my V4, rock solid and dependable!!!! Used Yamaha RSTD and Ventures are a very good choice for what you get. Good luck.:)

Yes, we all talk about the whine. You may have also noticed the vast majority stll love there bikes and would not trade it in for anything else. These bikes are darn near bullit proof. Like others have said, if you come across one you like, take it for a test ride. If the whine is really bad, you will hear it. If its that bad, move on till you find one that works for you. If you go with another brand, so be it. We will still welcome you to stick around.

If you decide to not buy the venture based on the whine you will be making a mistake even though some hate the whine and it bothers them read what most had to say about buying another one when the time comes. To me that is the best testament about the bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75842

Thanks everyone for your two bits worth. Getting feedback from experienced owners and riders is awesome! When the snow clears and the salt is washed off the roads, I'll be test driving that RSV. Sure hope it works out.

A problem is only a problem if you recognise it. I know what the noise is. It is mechanical. All machines...I mean ALL will have some quirks. Get to know your machine. Then ride it like you stole it. Everything else is a bonus.

Bill

Ya gotta remember that there are a LOT of members here, and youre probably only hearing from a small percentage of the guys that actually have issues. Youre really not hearing from the happy owners when you ask about a specific issue, but I am glad that a few of the happy guys have chimed in here.

Brian

Ya gotta remember that there are a LOT of members here, and youre probably only hearing from a small percentage of the guys that actually have issues. Youre really not hearing from the happy owners when you ask about a specific issue, but I am glad that a few of the happy guys have chimed in here.

Brian

so you're inferring that I have "issues" and I'm not a happy guy ???? :stickpoke: :rasberry: :rotf:

To me, the whine is just part of the bike's character! Sure, it's there, but it doesn't bother me. It's not that annoying. Now the whining from the rear seat is another story...

A brave man, once said.....

Never to be heard from again!:rotf::whistling:

Hi BMCCK

Like some others have said I would strongly suggest riding the bike first before you discount it. You have to remember a lot of information on this site is great but it must be relevant to you. For example, there are a lot of comments on here that the bike is top heavy. At 6'4' and 250 i find the bike far from top heavy and dont even notice the weight difference from that and other bikes that I have ridden. As far as the whine. reading all the comments initially scared me but you have to understand everything about the comments that you are recieving. Was that bike properly maintained etc. There are some that have whines that may be induced from factory and OEM parts but it may not be every bike. The question you have to ask is does the specific bike that you want whine and/or is the whine loud enough that it bothers you. Goldwings have whines also but on their site you will see that the main complaint about that bike is not the whine but the suspension and comfort. That dosent stop people from buying that bike nor should these comments for this bike. This is my first experience in the V4 arena. i have been vtwins and inlines all my life and I am pleasantly happy with the RSV. My personal thought is the RSV is a very good bike but in order to keep it that way this bike may required that you are more conscious with your periodic maintence to ensure happy miles. My vtx had steering bearing problems but that did not make it a bad bike.

This site and the Venturers are outstanding sites as far as support for a specific bike. just remember when you seek out information give everyone as much information as possible about your issue because that aids in getting you the best solution.

Edited by orlean1
grammer

As some have stated, all bikes have their quirks.

I have a cousin and her husband that for about 10 years they owned Goldwings (thats before they had too much to drink one day last year and traded it for a Harley Road Glide Ultra) LOL. They loved them and rightly so because they are world class touring machines. Not much negative to say about them. One weekend they encouraged me and my wife to take it out for the day and see if we liked it enough to by one. The first thing I noticed was the thing had a whine in certain gears at different times during the ride. Didn't bother me much, but it was loud enough for me to take note of it and mention it to my wife. Here was a wonderful nearly brand new Goldwing that had a whine in the gearbox, especially during downshifting.

I test rode a Victory Vision last year that did the same thing.

Lets me know there's more whining going on besides the Venture/RSTD. LOL.

If I have a clutch whine I don't notice it. I wear ear buds all the time & listen to the radio. Even when I rode a 650 v-star I wore ear protection. I love our venture, My biggest decision on going with the venture is, When My wife & I went to test drive one, we hadn't even gotten out of the parking lot and she said "I Love this...this so nice". I knew right then, this was the bike for us. I can "put up" with a lot as long as she is happy. She is the best riding partner ever. I don't have any issues with the Venture I/We love it and are very very satisfied with this bike. We can easily do 300,400,500 miles a days and look forward to many More trips on this bike.

Mel

so you're inferring that I have "issues" and I'm not a happy guy ???? :stickpoke: :rasberry: :rotf:

I'm sorry to say, but you are "the Issue", and that's also why you're a happy Guy...

:stickpoke::stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Sorry, i couldn't resist ....

I'm sorry to say, but you are "the Issue", and that's also why you're a happy Guy...

:stickpoke::stickpoke:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Sorry, i couldn't resist ....

ummmmm... let's see ... gotta be a year or maybe more since last time you poked fun at me .... gawd I missed you! .... NOT! :Im not listening to :Laugh: :Laugh: