IGNORED

Bad bad bad day

BIG TOM

My septic line plugged backing up sewage into my basement and overflowing my first floor toilet................had to rip ceilings down and tried to snake out any blockage...... while trying to remove the septic line plug the 4 inch joint broke.......now I am waiting for a plumber with my line still having a blockage...a washer full of foul water that backed up into it ....a broken toilet float (THOUGHT THE TOILET WAS OVERFLOWING AND BROKE OFF THE FLOAT BY ACCIDENT)...wet carpet and ripped down plaster everywhere in the bacement and possibibly having to go outside and dig up my septic line.........................and I have to pee ...............IF it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all......:bawling: :bawling:

Edited by BIG TOM

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whens the last time you had your septic tank pumped? Three to Five years is the norm?

if its been more than that I'm betting it just needs pumped... Thats about a $300 fix here in WV.

If you piull the top off of the tank and it overflows...its not a clogged line...

4 inch joint pipe replaced.....new toilet works installed......septic tank inspection plate dug up by no.2 son and clog found at entrance into septic tank....flowing again.......dug up septic cover plate and waiting for septic pumper to arrive....washing machine cleaned and working again.....many, many dirty towels to wash...lots of cleaning to do before taters gets home..you guys made me laugh when I wanted to cry....thanks for all the wise cracks...I knew I could count on you all..now back to cleaning up.....and the pee felt sooooooooo good......ps Jonas's toilet is seasonal.....some day Taters will figure out why all her flowers die in that one spot......:whistling:

ps Jonas's toilet is seasonal.....some day Taters will figure out why all her flowers die in that one spot......:whistling:

I reject this statement :no-no-no: As far as I know there was never so much blossom in your garden before you installed my private outdoors toilet. Even the birds get lost in the growth :shock3: Make sure my toilet does not get clogged up ! it is for liquid use only !

And move my trunk and stuff out of the basement please :shock3:

Hope the "Green Mile" is still Green :shock3:

I reject this statement :no-no-no: As far as I know there was never so much blossom in your garden before you installed my private outdoors toilet. Even the birds get lost in the growth :shock3: Make sure my toilet does not get clogged up ! it is for liquid use only !

And move my trunk and stuff out of the basement please :shock3:

Hope the "Green Mile" is still Green :shock3:

Here we go again.....WHAT TRUNK ?...and yes it is still in there somewhere....I think:whistling:ps.....had tank pumped out only because it was dug up already.....it was pretty full, but not the cause of my problem......Taters and her FIBER....it works.....:moon: :moon: :moon: will be back to normal after the basement is cleaned out....I'M bushed...thats a job for tomorrow.......

My septic line plugged backing up sewage into my basement and overflowing my first floor toilet................had to rip ceilings down and tried to snake out any blockage...... while trying to remove the septic line plug the 4 inch joint broke.......now I am waiting for a plumber with my line still having a blockage...a washer full of foul water that backed up into it ....a broken toilet float (THOUGHT THE TOILET WAS OVERFLOWING AND BROKE OFF THE FLOAT BY ACCIDENT)...wet carpet and ripped down plaster everywhere in the bacement and possibibly having to go outside and dig up my septic line.........................and I have to pee ...............IF it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all......:bawling: :bawling:

Sorry for your troubles but what can I say.....

Scat happens

Life is full of disappointments

What goes up must go down

What goes around comes around

Urine is a good fertilizer for the shrubbery

Easy does it

Haste makes waste

when in doubt call a professional

A handyman needs more tools then a hammer and duct tape

sometimes the best remedy is a stiff drink

sometimes a stiff drink just makes things worse

Sorry for your loss

Hope that helps

Edited by Dragonslayer

On an actually serious and helpful note. :confused24:

Same septic system for 23 years and it's been pumped twice as a precaution. And it was put in at a time that grey water did not need a separate dry well so all grey water goes through the septic.

However, I use septic treatment religiously. Both tank treatment and main line cleaner. Cutting the frequency in half has not shown any signs of problem.

I also treat the leach field transfer box once a year with root killer. Any tree remotely near the leach field seems to send roots to the water.

I'm going to stop typing ow before I go from helpful to :rotf:

One of the things we do, is to dump some beef liver down the toilette every month or so, 2 lbs is usually a good amount. This keeps the right bacteria working and properly fed.

Our most recent success with this was at my daughters place this summer. Got a desperate call saying that her septic was overflowing outside and they couldn't even take a shower with a flood outside, no inside problems thank goodness.

I told her to dump some liver into the tank and we would be up in a week or so to see what could be done.

They have a cottage in cottage country with a small tank, about 50 gal and a 2nd tank about 25 gal. They had it pumped but were back to the same issue the next day.

Well we went up there, set up a sump pump system to help out and added about 3 lbs of liver. There were other precautions and issues, so we couldn't do much else, but basically they had no flow to the bed. The ground was too hard and dry to try to dig anything, so the sump system into the bush was going to have to do for a time,,,,,

They used the pump 2 times and after that had flow again, not much, but it ran away.

This fall they dug up the run to the bed where the moisture was coming up and found that the clay tile had collapsed, but it had enough of a hole to be able to get some flow. It's now repaired and flowing real nice, with a monthly addition of BEEF liver.

One of the things we do, is to dump some beef liver down the toilette every month or so, 2 lbs is usually a good amount. This keeps the right bacteria working and properly fed.

Our most recent success with this was at my daughters place this summer. Got a desperate call saying that her septic was overflowing outside and they couldn't even take a shower with a flood outside, no inside problems thank goodness.

I told her to dump some liver into the tank and we would be up in a week or so to see what could be done.

They have a cottage in cottage country with a small tank, about 50 gal and a 2nd tank about 25 gal. They had it pumped but were back to the same issue the next day.

Well we went up there, set up a sump pump system to help out and added about 3 lbs of liver. There were other precautions and issues, so we couldn't do much else, but basically they had no flow to the bed. The ground was too hard and dry to try to dig anything, so the sump system into the bush was going to have to do for a time,,,,,

They used the pump 2 times and after that had flow again, not much, but it ran away.

This fall they dug up the run to the bed where the moisture was coming up and found that the clay tile had collapsed, but it had enough of a hole to be able to get some flow. It's now repaired and flowing real nice, with a monthly addition of BEEF liver.

The old timers around here dump a couple packs of yeast down the septic every couple of months... I still wouldn't let a septic tank go 10 or 12 years without being pumped???. if the soilds go out into your leech field it will defeat the purpose of the leech field.

The idea with the liver is to provide the right bacteria to break down the solids and to keep the right kind of bacteria in the bed to keep it open and not get plugged up with bio-film.

There are 2 kinds of bacteria at work in a good system, the anaerobic that do most of the work in the tank an seeing as they work without oxygen that is a good place for them, but then you want some of those as well as aerobic bacteria, they need oxygen, in the bed. The anaerobic do the heavy work but leave a bio-film that will plug up the bed, so that's where the aerobic boys come in and you need lots of them, and these are provided by the liver. You could also inject air into the bed or tank, that works as well but may smell a bit at times,, mind you, a good working tank won't smell much, if at all,, so if you smell your tank, time for liver!

Marcarl just taught me something....I grew up in a house on a septic tank, We always had problems with the grease trap and septic, While tree roots played a part, we shoulda added some liver and yeast? I guess. Now I know in case I buy a home on septic what to do!