IGNORED

Tire Pressure

Bike was feeling kind of sluggish and sloppy in turns so I check the tire pressure. Rear had 45 PSI and the front had 35PSI. I am running Dunlop Elite 3 front and rear. I am about 320 pounds. So a lot of weight on the tires. I know the front sidewall said 41 max. I ran it up to 40 and it is a whole different feel. Almost like it is to much and the front tire feel like a teeter totter on a point now instead of a rounded tire.

So my question is with my weight, what should I be running in the tires if the sidewall says 41 max. And this is unloaded and just my body weight and the bikes weight.

Thanks

I'd be checking out the tire to see if it has flattened out in the middle.

We ride 2 up mostly and that sets the weight over your weight and we have no problems.

Front at 36 and rear at 40. I had my front up to 40 once, but then I met up with a good side gust of wind and found myself in the wrong lane,,, that was tooooo scary.

• Like 1

Bike was feeling kind of sluggish and sloppy in turns so I check the tire pressure. Rear had 45 PSI and the front had 35PSI. I am running Dunlop Elite 3 front and rear. I am about 320 pounds. So a lot of weight on the tires. I know the front sidewall said 41 max. I ran it up to 40 and it is a whole different feel. Almost like it is to much and the front tire feel like a teeter totter on a point now instead of a rounded tire.

So my question is with my weight, what should I be running in the tires if the sidewall says 41 max. And this is unloaded and just my body weight and the bikes weight.

Thanks

I'm right at your weight and running E3's on a '99RSV. 40psi in the front and back tires seems to work for me. I also run air pressure at 7psi in the fronts and 45psi in the rear...

PS: I also used Freebirds trick to tighten up the steering head bearings, and that got a lot of the sloppy..loose.. feeling out of the steering...

I have to concur with my colleague down in Sacra-tomato.

I run both tires are exactly 40 psi, and have found them to perform the best at that pressure, and I get very good mileage out of them at that pressure. What is good mileage...about 20k from a set of tires. Unlike some people, I like to replace both tires at the same time, so that I always have a matched set, wear wise.

Running 35 psi on the front is WAY too low. Running 45 on the rwear is WAY too high.

You personal body weight has nothing to do with it. NOTHING !

Your body weight comes into play when adjusting the suspension air ride on these bikes. At your weight, you should be running about the same as Condor, at 7 psi for front air forks, and about 40 to 50 psi for rear shock.

I run exactly 5 psi on the front, and 35 psi on the rear. I ride solo 100 % of the time, but do carry an aux. fuel cell on the back seat rack some of the time, but that is only an additional 40 lbs.

Folks, I am a tire pressure nut, or guru, depending on which side of the fence you are standing. For several years I was a test rider for Dunlop, and they would get their tire psi specs from me. Really !

I can tell you with no uncertainty, that the 2nd gen Venture and RSTD bikes should be running 40/40 psi, and that is that.:backinmyday:

Folks, I am a tire pressure nut, or guru, depending on which side of the fence you are standing. For several years I was a test rider for Dunlop, and they would get their tire psi specs from me. Really !

I can tell you with no uncertainty, that the 2nd gen Venture and RSTD bikes should be running 40/40 psi, and that is that.:backinmyday:

Miles,

Do you have any data for the other common tires used on the 2nd Gens

Metzler 880

Avon Venon (H)

others?

The other thing to consider is that many tire pressure gauges are not real accurate but they are repeatable.

I played with my tire pressure till I found the pressures that made the bike handle the way I liked it and always use the same gauge to check and set pressure.

1 or 2 lbs of change makes a difference that I can feel.

Back when I was racing stock cars we would play with 1/4lb increments of tire pressure to get the right feel for the car.

I too was wondering if the tire press is "the same" for the different brands. I switched over to the Michelin Commander II both front and rear. I cant swear to it but I think the max is 41/40. I have been running about 38-40 in the front and 38-40 in the rear depending on if loaded up. I use the same gauge to check them. I did buy a smaller gauge to throw in the saddle bag to take on trips so I could check and it reads consitantly .5 psi lower than my "main" gauge. So I would say pick a gauge and use it all the time. If you can compare gauges, if they are close to each other I would say thats all you can ask for. I prefer the digital ones myself. Here is an e-mail I sent to Michelin:

I am looking at replacing my current Dunlap E 3's on my 2009 Yamaha Venture. Your tires I am looking at using are the Commander II in a 130/90-16 front and a 150/90-15 rear. The weight of the bike is listeed @ 870 lb. What would your recomended tire pressures be

The best air pressure recommendation for the original equipment size tires is to use the inflation pressure as specified by the bike manufacturer which can be found on the placard located on the bike frame or in the motorcycle owner’s manual. They have determined the optimal inflation pressure for load, ride, handling, rolling resistance and treadwear performance.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-346-4098(toll free) between 8:00AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Ken

Consumer Care Department

Certified Michelin Product Expert :rotf:

I too was wondering if the tire press is "the same" for the different brands. Here is an e-mail I sent to Michelin:

I am looking at replacing my current Dunlap E 3's on my 2009 Yamaha Venture. Your tires I am looking at using are the Commander II in a 130/90-16 front and a 150/90-15 rear. The weight of the bike is listeed @ 870 lb. What would your recomended tire pressures be

The best air pressure recommendation for the original equipment size tires is to use the inflation pressure as specified by the bike manufacturer which can be found on the placard located on the bike frame or in the motorcycle owner’s manual. They have determined the optimal inflation pressure for load, ride, handling, rolling resistance and treadwear performance.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

:rotf:

First, to answer your question, yes tire pressures are slightly different on different brans of tires, but not off by that much. Typically a Metzler and an Avon take slightly higher pressures than Dunlop or Bridgestones or Michelins.

Secondly, very contrary to what the Michelin rep said, I would say that the tire pressure info that is on the placard of the bike...is info for uninformed riders, that are very new to riding, and have no idea of how to do the simple basics. Example, if you look at what Mother Honda tells the GL1800 riders to use for psi, they say to use 36 psi on the front, and 40 psi on the rear. That is so wrong...it is unbelievable. Any 1800 Wing rider that uses only 36 psi on the front tire is wasting a tire, and the handling performance of their bike. A 1800 Wing should be running 40 psi front, and 41-42 psi on the rear. Period !

I really agree with Flyinfool that your guage makes a big difference. Using the same guage matters, I use a very accurate...accugauge. I have tested it many time for many years, and it is always accurate. I have had it for 20 + years, it has the rubber boot around it, and I am the only person to ever touch it.

On road trips, I check my tire prerssures every day, or every other day, dependent on altitudes, and air/road temps. But, to me...road trips are 5k to 15k miles long.

If you have a Gen 2 Venture or RSTD, and you are using less than 40 psi on the front tire...you are underinflated. Period !

:backinmyday:

I learned a lesson in tire press on my Kawasaki 900 Vulcan. The OEM tires went about 6K-8K. I ran the "factory recomended" press for alot of that until I noticed the rear looking worn about 4K. I started investigating and found that I had been running under inflated. Next set of tires were Pirelli RT 66 and I kept them very near the top listed press on sidewall. They went close to 14K.

• 3 weeks later...

My bike handled lousy with Avon's.. I had used 40 psi front and 42 rear.

I was disappointed when I only got a little over 10K on the rear. I came to find out that I should have been using 50 psi on the rear..I ordered a new set of Avon Venom's and put 50 psi in the rear and it now handles like I knew it should..Made a tremendous difference to the good..

I appreciate reading all the input bc I thought it was me ( still might be me).

My 03 RSV has Avon venom X and I get the feeling it doesn't want to stay on the road, especially during turns. I am not a heavier guy and ride solo 98% of time. The front is not at 40 and will try MIles' numbers, since he has about 1.8 million more riding miles then I do. I have not had any squirrelly feelings with the Vulcan which has Michelin commander. I ride2 up and full T bag on the back and had zero feelings of uneasiness. Was even caught in tropical storms with 2 up + gear and she was fine. With the RSV, I am a bit apprehensive of my first rain storm.

Several years ago I was in a class where the Avon rep gave a presentation on tires. He said you should go with the bike manufacturers recommendation unless installing a premium tire. He said premium tires require higher pressure and it's best to go with the tire manufacturer recommendation. He listed Avon, Metzeler and Pirelli as examples of premium tires.

The trick is finding the tire manufacturer recommendation. Metzeler used to have some on their web site but I think they are gone now. When I mount a Metzeler or Avon I typically go 5 over OEM front, and 5-10 over rear depending on whether it's a solo rider or a couple with luggage etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Running Avon Vem front and back for years, have almost 100,000 on 01 RSV and have found best to go with stamped PSI on side of tire, running 50 in back and 41 in front and have ran in all weather conditions from snow to torrential down pour and they handled great, usually get 21 to 22 thousand out of front and 15 to 18 out of back, and ride two up 95% of the time. Just my 2 cents worth,:stirthepot: