IGNORED

Hmmm. Which one will I like the most?

BigLenny

The largest bike dealer in our area (Sunrise Honda Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki Polaris) has 100+ used bikes in there pre-owned showroom. I have an appointment @ 10:00 this morning to test ride a 2010 Venture, 2010 Kawasaki Voyager, and a 2012 Victory Vision. I am in the market for a full dresser, and this is an excellent opportunity to ride these bikes back to back so I can get an immediate feeling of which on I like most.

I am extremely interested in seeing how the V4 compares to the two twins, and also, very curious to compare the difference between the Kawi and Victory twin powerplants.

I'll post my findings........

You should also try the Victory Cross Country Tour. It's more "in-line" with the Yamaha and Kowa Saki . Having ridden all of them myself, including the Vision, my fav is the CCT ... but I'm not trying to influence you in any specific direction...

Looking fwd to your report.

Okay, here's the report.

In the end I wound up riding the used 2012 Vision (only had 245 miles on it), a 2010 and 2007 Venture, but the Voyager was a brand new demo with 70 miles on it.

Riding these bikes back to back to back really allows you to notice the differences that you wouldn't necessarily notice if you had to wait for a few days between rides.

Let me say this, even though the Venture is dated and hasn't been changed in 14 years, it holds its own quite well among this bunch.

2007- 2010 Ventures - I rode these two bikes first, and right away I found myself noticing the subtle differences between it and my RSTD. The handlebars are narrower than my RSTD, and I could tell there was a slight difference in gear ratio than my RSTD, especially in 5th gear, I liked the gear difference. It sounded less like it needed a 6th gear than my RSTD does. Also, its calmer at freeway speeds behind the fairing than it is behind my windshield. I was suprised that I could hear the stereo fine while I was on the freeway doing 75. it feels a little more top heavy than my bike. The perfomance and feel of the V4 felt like an old friend. It was a quality refined feeling ride experience.

2012 Kawi Voyager ABS - I was really looking forward to riding this bike because I have great interest in it being a V-Twin that is water cooled, and I lean toward water cooled bikes. I have total faith that Kawi makes super good quality stuff, and if all went well, I would have no hesitations about buying that brand. This a unique looking bike in it's own way. Kind of a 50's Chevy Bel-Air fairing with bulbous looking saddlebags. It has so much that is appealing like ABS, good sounding stereo, digital readouts on the dash with gear indicator, comfortable seats, water cooled, hydraulic clutch, plenty of power, 6 speed tranny etc. However, I gotta wonder what the deal is with the strong motor vibration at freeway speeds? Is this what maybe a Harley might feel like? I'm used to my RSTD being a smooth feeling motor, and the somewhat strong thumping of the v-twin was surpising, and not really in a good way. I did like the fixed fairing though. Another thing that made me go hmmm, is how cheap the plastic parts on the bike felt. The windshield is so thin compared to the Venture and Vision, that it was vibrating quite abit on the freeway. And the saddlebags and trunk were really flimsy feeling when they were open. I don't know if Kawi did that to decrease weight, but the end effect it gave me was cheap. It was way better at slow speeds than the Venture, and didn't feel top heavy at all. It is, however, impressive that you can buy this bike brand new with ABS in the high $16K's to low $17K's

2012 Victory Vision - I wish I would've taken a picture of all these bikes when I had them sitting beside each other in the parking lot. The freakin Vision was so much bigger looking than the other bikes, it was comical. I swear the passenger backrest and trunk was 8"-10" taller and bigger than the other bikes. It was crazy looking, but, it was the only bike in the bunch that if you were on a ride, and you stopped at a meeting place where other bikers were, you would have to talk because people are gonna want to come up and talk to you about it. LOL. I really liked this bike. A very strong V-twin that didn't thump real hard like the Kawi at high speeds. Very smooth. This bike fit my size well since I am 6'6" and 300lbs. Brake feel was great. Loved the power windshield. Had cool gadgets like digital readout with gear indicator, decent stereo, easy to navigate cruise buttons, iPod plug, gauges galore, heated grips and seperate heated seats. Alot of plastic, but it was high quality feeling stuff. Not flimsy. Loved the seat, it was low and super comfortable. The floorboards were crazy huge. Who needs highway pegs with those long things. Very easy to ride. Very easy at slow speeds. 5th gear was so tall, I forgot their was a 6th gear. The cons are I was surprised at the amount of heat that came off the motor at stop signs and redlights, especially on the right side. This is one of the reasons I like water cooled bikes. The transmission is very clanky/noisy when changing gears compared to the Venture and Voyager. Also, the saddlebags are anemic. they look huge from the outside, but offer little real long haul space compared to the other two bikes. I was taken back by how much air there was tumbling around between me and the windhield while on the freeway compared to the other two bikes. The bike is soooo long between the rider and the windshield that I think that causes a problem. The Yamaha Venture was the best in the group as far as being quiet in the cockpit.

The Vision is certainly the "Exotic Looker" among the group, and is the one to get if you are really interested in having a bike that everyone wants to talk to you about when you stop. It feels quality built, but has it been out long enough for me to really know that? It had some rattles that I was kinda surprised to hear since it only had 245 miles on it. The Yammy wasn't rattling, and it had 20K miles on it. Hmmm.

In the end, it tempts me to just plunk down $7K-$8K and grab that 2007 Venture with 20K miles on it and go on about life. Otherwise, if I'm gonna go with a new or almost new bike and pay those prices, I'm thinking I might need to test ride the Victory CCT and maybe a couple other machines.

God I wish the Venture had a 6th gear and a couple other updates!!!! The V4 was probably my favorite motor among the group today.

I gotta wonder what the deal is with the strong motor vibration at freeway speeds? Is this what maybe a Harley might feel like?

I gotta agree with your writeup about the Voyager and the Vision and I've ridden both and found much the same ... especially the vibration in the Voyager.

No, the Harley EG Ultra or RoadGlides do not vibrate at all once moving... only when stopped and at idle. That said tho, and I've ridden both several times on their "demo days", I've always found I liked the EG Ultra better than the RoadGlide.

Check out that CCT before you make a decision ... it will be worth your time.

totally agree about the voyager regarding the bags. they were way too flimsy for me.

rode the victory and liked it but was way too hot for me.

i still think the ultra classic is my favorite ride/feel over the venture but all around enjoy my venture!

The wife and I did a Victory test ride days in Lakeland in Dec or Jan this year. We rode the Vision, Cross country with backrest and luggage rack and the CCtour. I really like the Vision, it did apear huge but sure didnt handle that way. But as you mentioned when we left the dealership and hit a few bumps along the way the wife noticed rattles comming from I had to assume the trunk area. Dont know if it was speakers or what. The bags dont hold near what it looks like and are odd shaped to fit things in. The two Cross bikes were about identicle in ride, although the Tour had the leg wings and vents and I dont think the regular Cross Country did just crash bars. The boss liked the trunk better than the backrest combo. Also no rattles out of the CCT. It felt a bit lighter than the Vison, but it should its like 80-100lb lighter I think. You need to ride a CCT, if you were inmpressed with the power of the Vision, youll like the CCT.

I traded my Venture for a CCT this summer an couldn't be happier BUT I am 5'8 an the Venture was a bit heavy for me, never dropped it in 22000 miles but sure came close a few times as some of the other guys have said you gotta test that CCT, love my CCT but if i was 6'6 don't know which one I would chose, the only reason I traded was slow speed handling really liked the Venture other wise

The 2013 Victory CCT is $4,000 more than a brand new RSV (in Canada). That buys a lot of gas !

Take a CCT for a ride and see what YOU think. No matter what anyone else says, you have to like it. Has to be comfortable for you in ride, handling, and fit.

Personally, I don't like the looks of the CCT. The style doesn't do anything for me. Shape of the fairings, saddle bags, and trunk. Just doesn't work for me. Front turn signals? Can you even put passing lights on it? Belt drive ???

Like many have said, I need to test ride the CCT. I have actually ridden the CCT before at one of those Victory factory guided test ride things. I was with a couple buddies and we did it just to be doing something. I wasn't seriously in the market at the time, and I was so concerned about making sure I followed the leader and the other 6 or 8 people that were test riding, that I didn't really pay enough attention to the bike like I should.

I am going to set an appointment to ride the CCT at my own pace and time frame so I can notice and understand the key characteristics of the bike. I believe it will appeal to me more than the Vision, even though the Vision is very attractive in a weird sort of way.

Is it true that the CCT does not have a hydraulic clutch, but the Vision does? What the crap is up with that???

Is it true that the CCT does not have a hydraulic clutch, but the Vision does? What the crap is up with that???

I think they wanted to give those Hardley folks something familiar when they jumped ship to the CCT LOL!

Having ridden the CCT, I never even realized it wasn't hydraulic at the time.