IGNORED

2013 Royal Star Venture...HERE IT IS!

Freebird

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad thing is, they have the makings of a great bike. It has all the niceties like stereo, CB radio, V4 engine, easy to service, 5 year warranty, Great looks.

All they would have to do is add a little touch here and there, like EFI, removable lower fairings, redesigned air cleaner(I never liked the looks of those air cleaners), updated stereo and you'd have everyone on this forum fired up wanting one.

Call them and let them know. The number is a few posts north. IF I were to buy new, it's a Kawasaki. For me the Voyager works. I let them know that too.

Rick,

That's a good idea I'll do just that and when hopefully I get the new ride I'll send them a pic. For me it'll probablt be the Victory XTC.

I guess their logic is that those of us who have one will never get rid of it and they will make more $$$$

Boomer....who sez its time to ride....:rotf:

Bingo. We know it is a work horse and like it and someone will still buy it. Cost is under control and selling at low margin for volume is fast cash. Keeps a volume of bikes on the road that need parts does not hurt business.

Think they believe the rest of the line up can keep the market interested in Yamaha.

Not much out there that interests me anyway. Don't help when I not that fussy on V-Twin's

Brad

I am actually surprised but not that it didn't change, I am truly surprised that they offered one at all. I was surprised last year and even more so this year.

One thing that I thought about is that they missed a real opportunity here. Would this not be the 30 year anniversary for the Yamaha Venture? It would have been a great year to made some significant changes and come out with an anniversary model.

SilverT: the guys in Milwaukee still make basicly the same thing as 20yr ago.

If I was plunking down hard bucks for a new bike I would probably go with a Victory Cross Country Tour or Vision. Yea I know alot of folks think the Vision is ugly, but I kinda grew to like it. Although it dont have near the luggage capcity it looks like.

Are you kidding, do a little digging into the last 20 years . Many motor upgrades along with fuel tanks , fuel systems , trans , sound systems , frame upgrades and frame sizes. wheel size and brakes to name a few. Thats not just HD thats all other brands. Its a shame because I would of bought a total made over Venture if they did it.

I am actually surprised but not that it didn't change, I am truly surprised that they offered one at all. I was surprised last year and even more so this year.

One thing that I thought about is that they missed a real opportunity here. Would this not be the 30 year anniversary for the Yamaha Venture? It would have been a great year to made some significant changes and come out with an anniversary model.

A 30 year Anniversary Edition would have been nice! I am with you Don, I am surprised that they actually offered one also. I do like the color combo though. I would just like to see some minor upgrades like I stated a few posts above. Something that current Venture owners could and probably would by and put on their scoots.

As for the CCT (aka XCT), I'd be riding one today if I could afford it ... Love the Wing but if I was buying a new bike, it would be the CCT.

Not Picking on SilverT here, but this statement says alot about why you don't see a new venture. Similarly SilverT did not buy a new Wing he bought a 2003.

I have read several of these "we want a new venture threads", but never have have I seen anyone say what they are willing to pay for all the updates they they want.

If they added fuel injection, a GPS, suspension and styling changes this year and the price was $25,999, How many people here would be inline to buy one today? ( need a separate poll thread for this)

In terms of Technological advancement, the Yamaha carbureted V4 still meets emissions requirements without a catalytic converter. Can't be that outdated.

The HD with FI and all its Tech advancements, needs a catalystic converter and they need to shut down a cylinder at idle to keep it from overheating. That's change I don't need.

Just my 2 cents.

.....If they added fuel injection, a GPS, suspension and styling changes this year and the price was $25,999, How many people here would be inline to buy one today? ( need a separate poll thread for this)

In terms of Technological advancement, the Yamaha carbureted V4 still meets emissions requirements without a catalytic converter. Can't be that outdated.

The HD with FI and all its Tech advancements, needs a catalystic converter and they need to shut down a cylinder at idle to keep it from overheating. That's change I don't need......

And my 2 cents worth and this is NOT trying to start a flame war

The cost of FI vs Carb is negligible.

Suspension and styling can stay pretty much along the same lines. With the exception of the GW all the big touring bikes are basically carbon copies.

Having to shut down a cylinder to prevent overheating...air cooled (and design) vs water cooled.

GPS would be a very nice touring device but buying your own provides personal choices.

Eliminating the cassette deck and making it into a storage area would only save a couple of $$ perhaps but would be a nice "feature"

I do think that without some "major" updates the Venture is falling too far back to catch up. It will require a complete new design.

Having said all that, I love my Venture and it's gonna be in my carport for several more years :thumbsup2:

.....If they added fuel injection, a GPS, suspension and styling changes this year and the price was $25,999, How many people here would be inline to buy one today? ( need a separate poll thread for this)

The HD with FI and all its Tech advancements, needs a catalystic converter and they need to shut down a cylinder at idle to keep it from overheating. That's change I don't need......

And my 2 cents worth and this is NOT trying to start a flame war

The cost of FI vs Carb is negligible.

Suspension and styling can stay pretty much along the same lines. With the exception of the GW all the big touring bikes are basically carbon copies.

Having to shut down a cylinder to prevent overheating...air cooled (and design) vs water cooled.

GPS would be a very nice touring device but buying your own provides personal choices.

Eliminating the cassette deck and making it into a storage area would only save a couple of $$ perhaps but would be a nice "feature"

I do think that without some "major" updates the Venture is falling too far back to catch up. It will require a complete new design.

Having said all that, I love my Venture and it's gonna be in my carport for several more years :thumbsup2:

I agree with some of your "upgrades" that might get you into a new RSV. I rarely purchase vehicles "new", unless it is an "offer I can't refuse", ala free financing, massive discounts or rebates, etc., but if Yami would just make the following changes and keep it price competitive with Kawi, I'd likely buy a new one:

EFI

standard highway lights

standard luggage rack

tach, oil and temp guages (use cassette area)

whine-free clutch

integrated fairing-mounted GPS, bluetooth and XM systems

updated sound system

easier access fuse panel

standard air horn

I'm sure there are others, but those are my minimal "have-to's". The clutch redesign might be the most costly of the upgrades, but without it, I'd never purchase a new RSV. There's just no excuse for continuing to produce this bullet-proof V-4 with such a crappy sounding clutch.

Not Picking on SilverT here, but this statement says alot about why you don't see a new venture. Similarly SilverT did not buy a new Wing he bought a 2003.

I have read several of these "we want a new venture threads", but never have have I seen anyone say what they are willing to pay for all the updates they they want.

Those are the "operative words" and to stay in-tune with the focus of your comments, they should have been "able to pay". See, that's the difference. I am more than willing to pay $25 or more g's for a new bike ... I simply am not able to.

Let me clarify that a bit. In fact, I am able to if I were to finance it over 4 or 5 years but at age 65, the likelyhood of me having sufficient income for the next 4 or 5 years to afford basic living expenses PLUS have a loan payment is minimal. I might be able to handle it for a couple more years but to finance 25 g's over 2 years would mean a payment much higher than I can currently afford. Besides all that ... the WARDEN has laid down the law ... no new bike unless we win a lotto! LOL!

I think my 03 Midnight looks better than the "NEW" leftover midnights with gray paint added and studs removed.:rotf:

I'm a weird one I guess......I like the fact they are keeping them the same. There are folks that just have to have a new one even though these things last longer than most folks will ever ride them. That means there are lots of used ones in nice condition,they have the bugs worked out and you can get them for 1/3 the price of new. The 06 I just bought would be hard pressed to know it's not right off the show room and i paid $5500 for it.

Mine are still in the "new" category since they look just like the ones on the show room.

Both of mine get over 40 MPG except when pulling a trailer. I don't see fuel injection making much difference in MPG but I can see where it could cost BIG $$ to fix a injection problem that the average Joe can't diagnose without special equipment.

The carbs on mine work just fine,there is plenty enough power for me.

I like the way they ride and handle. The bags and trunk are plenty big enough to carry things like rain suits etc for commuting and they pull a trailer just fine if more cargo is required for a trip.I honestly can't think of anything I would change. I do wonder what the big deal about the cassette player is.You are not forced to use it just because it's there. What would you change it to? A out dated CD player or 8 track?

The new ones do come with MP3. Is there something newer/better than having a MP3 with thousands of your favorite tunes at the push of a button?

Like I said, I'm just weird.

And sorry but I ain't adding gray paint to this one to trick folks into thinking it's a '13.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/C-M_Motorsports/Forum%20Use/RSV.jpg

I am among a growing number of folks that would, but can't afford a new anything anymore. And my wife and I work full time. ( I make half of what I did in 09)

If I could afford a new VR I wouldn't buy what they offer now. It would take a real stereo ABS, stock HID lighting. At least.

......I like the fact they are keeping them the same. ... I don't see fuel injection making much difference in MPG but I can see where it could cost BIG $$ to fix a injection problem that the average Joe can't diagnose without special equipment.

The carbs on mine work just fine,there is plenty enough power for me.... I do wonder what the big deal about the cassette player is...

I emailed Yamaha just to get a response but I have to agree with you.

ABS - I don't even like it in cars (or traction control - I turn it off in my Mustang GT when the roads are wet or slippery because I want to be the one in control). I know that it pulses the brakes on/off so you can steer when braking, but I'd prefer to control it

Fuel Injection - carbs vs FI... engine runs fine the way it is. Easy to maintain

Cassette deck - remove it but would prefer storage over gauges. If they put guages in that area they would probably redesign the dash and I like it the way it is

GPS - same as cassette deck. Where do they put it? I don't have a problem with it being a Garmin Zumo (I have a 660. Would have liked the 665 but weather doesn't work in Canada and don't have a need for satelite radio - I play mp3's)

Frame mounted fairing - I like the fork mounted fairing. I understand how wind can affect steering with fork mounted fairing but I like the headlight pointing in the direction I'm going, used to this style of fairing/windshield

Beefier rear shock - 5 year warranty... after that, even shocks on cars go after several years and not covered by the manufacturer

Motor - going to a 1700cc engine will just reduce gas mileage

That's a matter of speculation. I have an 1800cc engine and I get 46mpg riding 2-up combined freeway and mountains .... what do you get?

VMax - Fuel Consumption 32mpg(Imp) wet weight 684lbs

Venture - Fuel Consumption 51mpg(Imp) wet weight 867lbs

General talk is for Yamaha to use the Vmax motor.

If they use the 1700cc VMax motor and stay with the same size tank as on the Venture (5 Imp gal)... using current Yamaha mileage ratings :

VMax 5 imp gal x 32 imp mpg = 160 miles

Venture 5 imp gal x 51 imp mpg = 255 miles

For a touring bike... I'd prefer to be able to go further on a tank without having to stop.

VMax - Fuel Consumption 32mpg(Imp) wet weight 684lbs

Venture - Fuel Consumption 51mpg(Imp) wet weight 867lbs

General talk is for Yamaha to use the Vmax motor.

If they use the 1700cc VMax motor and stay with the same size tank as on the Venture (5 Imp gal)... using current Yamaha mileage ratings :

VMax 5 imp gal x 32 imp mpg = 160 miles

Venture 5 imp gal x 51 imp mpg = 255 miles

For a touring bike... I'd prefer to be able to go further on a tank without having to stop.

51 mpg on a Venture (average riding 2-up freeway and mountains) is unrealistic. We all know that when we're on a freeway, we're gonna be doing 75 mph or more. We also know that when riding in the mountains, we're pulling a lot of hills and generally cranking it on when we get a chance, especially to pass those slow-moving cages ... both of these "conditions" tend to eat a lot of gas. I get 46 mpg on my Wing .... a Venture will NOT get 51 mpg or even close.... I'd suggest (from past experience) that 40 mpg would be closer to reality.

:witch_brew:

You want to keep in mind that the V-max 1700cc engine is tuned for performance ... not fuel economy. Take that same engine and put it in a Venture and it will probably be de-tuned and adjusted for better fuel economy.

51 mpg on a Venture (average riding 2-up freeway and mountains) is unrealistic. We all know that when we're on a freeway, we're gonna be doing 75 mph or more. We also know that when riding in the mountains, we're pulling a lot of hills and generally cranking it on when we get a chance, especially to pass those slow-moving cages ... both of these "conditions" tend to eat a lot of gas. I get 46 mpg on my Wing .... a Venture will NOT get 51 mpg or even close.... I'd suggest (from past experience) that 40 mpg would be closer to reality.

:witch_brew:

You want to keep in mind that the V-max 1700cc engine is tuned for performance ... not fuel economy. Take that same engine and put it in a Venture and it will probably be de-tuned and adjusted for better fuel economy.

I believe he was talking imperial gallons.

51 mpg on a Venture (average riding 2-up freeway and mountains) is unrealistic. ....

Was just using Yamaha's figures as a baseline. I don't know what the V-Max with the 1300 V4 used to get for mileage in comparison with the de-tuned version in the RSV.

32mpg IMPERIAL vs 51mpg IMPERIAL (I know 51mpg is unrealistic - I've gotten as high as 48mpg)... but since the posted mpg is derived in the same tests, it gives a fair comparison. Unless they post what a de-tuned 1700 V4 will get we'll never know.

Does anyone have epa comparison numbers comparing a V-Max and Venture with the same (but tuned) differently motor?