IGNORED

Introduction and questions about my new (almost) ride RSV Millennium

9Grenzen

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a previous owner of a couple older model BMW K bikes. I used to commute on them (when I had a job). My wife and I rode on weekends and she grew to love it almost more then I. Well we were looking for an affordable bike to take some trips on. And with the help of this awesome site we chose a Venture. Then I found a deal on one in Idaho. It is a 2000 Millennium edition and with Only 8800 miles on it. Well needless to say it is now in my garage in California. My question to the forum is other than a complete fluid’s change and carb sync. Is there anything I should concerned with before we start logging miles on the puppy

Welcome to the family. Glad to have you here!

A good thing to check on your bike is possibly the dates on the tires. While they may look great and have plenty of tread, given the year and mileage, they may be beyond their shelf life.

Don't want a tire failure while on the road.

Dave

Welcome to the nuthouse!!!! :banana:

I would check dates on your tires with mileage that low, the tires are probably past their best before date and could be unsafe. Every tire has a oblong stamp with the date in the middle and anything over 5-6 year needs to be replaced. Also replace valve stem if its a rubber one, preferably with a all metal stem.

Brian

Darn! Dave beat me to it!

Fantastic point. Just looked and they have great tread depth. But the Metzlers look old and as dry as the hills. I definitely need new skins. Thank you very much. I had Shinko’s on my beemer and seemed to work well. But it was not nearly as heavy. Any thoughts? Safety is always first but my budget is a close second

Welcome to the funny farm. Where the inmates run the institution. :rotfl:

As the scoot is at least 12 years of age, I would recommend that you also consider swapping out the spark plug leads. They do tend to become brittle and crack... A simple way to check is to put the scoot in a darkened area and check for corona (stray electrical arcing) while running.

:mytruck1:

Fantastic point. Just looked and they have great tread depth. But the Metzlers look old and as dry as the hills. I definitely need new skins. Thank you very much. I had Shinko’s on my beemer and seemed to work well. But it was not nearly as heavy. Any thoughts? Safety is always first but my budget is a close second

Dunlop E3's or Avon's are the usual recommendations. Do a search for both and you can decide for yourself.

New Avons (stay away from the Metzelers), fresh fluids such as oil, brake and clutch fluid flush, lube the driveshaft and pins if you are swapping out tires. A carb sync is always a good thing to do too. A can of Sea Foam in the tank to clean things up inside the carbs and possibly a set of plugs. See how it runs afterward and go from there.

Good luck on your new ride and welcome to the club.

once you change the fluids, tires, run some sea foam through the fuel system and then change filter and plugs there a couple things that help the rideability, while they are not necessary they are very helpful, links are here and this is the best $12.00 you will ever spend:

Leveling links: You can make these yourself but they are very helpful with the handling

Bars, the stock bars are narrow and forward changing to Flanders or RSTD bars are again a huge improvement in the ride and handling not to mention remove the back pinch you might get on a long ride.

trunk, move that puppy back an inch, this helps the back seat passenger.

It's all preference and a lot of different riders here have great tips

so which sequence number Millenium did you get. I have 404.

Bought 2 years ago with 16000 miles, now has 33000.

I had to flush the brake & clutch fluid twice and wipe out the goo in the bottom of the reservoirs to get the fluid to come clean.

The po had put a new yusa battery in it that is still strong. If you can start it 3-4 times after turning it off and it still cranks strong, then the battery is probably ok.

The rear hub pins were dry on mine and needed lube, but the drive shaft still had some grease on it.

Plan on sending the seats to Rick Butler for softening up during the off-season. The stock seat is relatively comfortable, but Rick will improve it.

Picture ?????

New Avons (stay away from the Metzelers), fresh fluids such as oil, brake and clutch fluid flush, lube the driveshaft and pins if you are swapping out tires.

Welcome from another Venture and K bike owner ('86 K75C).

+1 on lubing the drive shaft and pins. I suggest putting out a call for help from a local VR member. Doing these things are not difficult, but go a lot faster if you have someone who had done it before to help. These items are standard maintenance that are often neglected. While the VR member is there, they can also show you where the fuel filter is and how to change it. It is a PITA.

Also, check the steering head bearing tightness. With this few of miles, shouldn't be a problem, but it is easy to check.

Enjoy your ride.

RR

Welcome,

One thing you may want to do is check for loose bolts. Every bolt you can see. The shifter bolt is a common one to fall off. All of the bolts holding the rear fender and trunk brackets. Saddle bag lid bolts. Trunk hinge brackets.

Always use a bit of "BLUE" Loctite too. Except on bolts going into plastic parts.

I had the Shinko Tourmaster on my Venture and they were very good for traction and wet weather but being the Venture is so heavy my rear tire would wear out with just 10,000 miles on them so I moved to the E3 Dunlop yes they are $$$ but they wear very well I could easly get 22,000-26,000 out of the rear tire but they are noise as well once they wear down some on the tread

I have the E3 on my 1500 Wing and I love them even if they are loud

Buddy

I really want to thank you all so very much. I am compiling one heck of a check list. Number on the trunk is 151. Has anyone ever started some kind of registry for the millennium’s. I think I got real lucky. This bike was stored in a climate controlled garage, kept under the factory cover and even the cover looks new. He said he only road it once or twice a year. But it has not been registered since 2006. She starts right up and runs like a top. But like I said I got one heck of a check list to get wrenching on

Now you have done it.....asked for opinions on tires......

and it begins......:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Trust me I hesitated to even mention tire preferences but I did so cause I couldn’t find any info on here about anyone running that brand( I won’t mention). Oil preference, I have a strong performance & racing background. I promise never to ask that question… :whistling:

OIL !

gonna need the Milk Duds to get the popcorn kernals out of your teeth !

Trust me I hesitated to even mention tire preferences but I did so cause I couldn’t find any info on here about anyone running that brand( I won’t mention). Oil preference, I have a strong performance & racing background. I promise never to ask that question… :whistling:

The best thing you can do for that bike is after you change fluids and put tires on it is to ride, ride, ride. I bought a MM 2 years ago with 17,000 miles on it and one of the members said to me Ride Rick Ride, I just turned over the odometer to 80,000 miles on my way back from the Asheville rally, Enjoy it.