IGNORED

Drive Train -Whine

I had the same question about the noise when I bought my first one in '06. I did a search of old posts and found this from Aug. '06 by Freebird. I took mine back for the dry spline issue, but the whine has been mentioned by every Venture owner I've talked to since then. It reminds me of the sound a gear-drive timing set makes in a V-8. I changed to Yamalube 20w50 and that quieted it down significantly. I did'nt have the clutch basket checked, but since it is a wet clutch, the oil probably helps the noise to an extent there too. Here is the original post in it's entirety, sorry, I just used quotation marks. Hope this will help. I've already addressed a couple of the issues at the bottom of the list this weekend with mine.

"A list of known problems on the Second Gen Venture by Freebird"

"Please add to this list if you think of something that I have missed.

Chirp. There has been a lot of discussion on the "chirping" sound on the second gen Venture and Royal Stars. There is often some confusion about this sound. These bikes use straight cut gears which create a whine that is best described as the sound made by an old granny gear truck when you are letting it coast. That is a normal sound that is characteristic of the straight cut gears. The sound that is NOT normal is a high pitched chirping sound. This is a result of improper clutch basket clearances. Yamaha has replaced many clutch baskets under warranty and many people have reported that this has greatly reduced or eliminated this noise.

Dry drive splines. Yamaha seems to be very stingy with the grease that they use on the rear drive spines on these bikes. There have been many reports of noise from the drive area. Yamaha has lubed some of these as a warranty issue but many of us have done the job at home. It requires a lift to remove the rear tire and then pulling the drive shaft to lube the front splines and also removing the rear drive from the wheel hub to grease the "fingers".

Trunk Cracks. The 1999 model RSV had an issue with the trunk bottoms cracking. Yamaha came out with a support kit to address this problem and installed it under warranty.

Audio Problems. Many people have had problems with the audio system due to back connections of the 5 din plugs inside the fairing. The fix is to split the fairing, unplug the connectors and apply a bit of dielectric grease to the pins.

CB Antennas. The 1999 model RSV came with very poor CB Antennas. Many were replaced under warranty. The design was changed with the 2000 models. Many have replace the '99 antennas with aftermarket units.

Backfiring. Upon deceleration, many have experienced a loud backfire. This actually sounds like a cannon going off. Some have corrected the problem by syncing the carbs but many of us have plugged the AIS system to stop this problem completely. There is a tech article here on plugging the AIS."

The high pitched sound does not bother me but this deeper sound just started and has gotten louder in the past 500 miles. I have an 08 RSV with 21,500 miles, upgraded the clutch with PCW kit, 1,500 miles ago, new tires.

Brad

Just tossing this in to make sure it's not something else that you're hearing.. you stated you changed tires as well as the clutch. Did you perchance go to E3 tires from something else? The E3 tires will have a hum to them in certain conditions as the road surface contacts the edge off-centre of the tire.. if you're riding in a straight line, and just lean the bike a tad to one side or the other while maintaining a straight line, you can hear this low growl or hum from the tires.. it doesn't take much but it's there.. if you're on a road that has track depressions from semi truck wheels, just that little amount of curve can cause the tires to hum or low growl.. The sound does go away after a while.. or you simply don't register hearing it anymore. I went through this when I first installed E3's on my bike. now I seldom ever hear them..

Just a thought, but hopefully your issue is as simple as this.. and not something much worse..

Best of luck..

i have a 08 rsv and mine is doin the same thing.it starts in 3rd and in 4th it gets louder and 5th its extremely louder and does not go away.the faster u drive the louder it gets.yamaha replaced the cluch basket but didnt help a bit.they told me at the dealership that it was the straight cut gears in the tranny.but my question is why did it start after 30000 miles and all at one time

Hey Gents,

My 2008 just started at 12,000 miles just as you describe. I'm going to experiment with oil types (Synthetic and Dino) and viscosities. I found mine worse when running 10w40. Achieved a slight improvement going back to 20w50. Both grades were Castrol m/c oil. Next step is to try a full synthetic.

Paul

I had the low rumble you describe, was driving me crazy but then I noticed it got worse on turns. Sure enough, my Metzelers were getting a little worn and the outsides were starting to cup, just like the previous ones I'd had. New Kenda Kruze's and no more rumble, along with better handling to boot. Couple months later my old Gold Wing starts the same thing and by then I was ready for it, off went the Metzelers again! When that problem first started with the Venture I was sure I had a rear end problem but nope! :)

Okay just maybe I deserved that one :innocent: but seriously the issue I doubt is oil. The high pitched whine I am okay with. But there is a lower pitched growl which sounds like gears. When the clutch is pulled in or let off throttle it goes away.

Don't like the noise, will have too look into it a bit more.

Brad

Is it possible that youre having the same middle gear issue that I am? I dont know if the G2's are prone to that, but the way you descibe it its exactly the noise my 85 is doing and I had a guy diagnose it the other day as the middle gear assy just where the shaft exits the engine.

Theres a vid with the noise on my bike on a current thread, i think I called the noise a rattle. My bike has been making noise for a while but i couldnt really hear where it was coming from and it didnt sound serious until the last trip.

Here is the link to my thread and to the vid so you can have a listen. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=73420

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Slab_Ryder

Interesting point about the RSV Whine. In the Spring, I took the rear wheel off and noticed one one my rear bearings had a small rough spot on it. 2 weeks ago, I finally changed the bearing out. VOILÁ, the whine virtually disappeared. Not sayin' there is a connection ... BUT ...!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a noise coming from my drive train on my 06 with 7800 miles. The noise had been there since I bought it a year ago with 3300 miles. It would start at about 30 mph and continue to about 50 mph, at which time it would disappear. This was different from the transmission whine that everyione talks about. I have that also.

Took the scoot in for new tires. Asked the dealer to lube the rear hub and drive shaft splines while he had it up on the lift.

Voila, new tires and the drive train noise is gone!

Pioneer changed the Basket, mechanic and service manager took it for a ride and both felt there was another issue. They ordered a rear differential assembly and there is no more noise.

Can't say if both were needed but the noise is gone so all is good.

Brad

Please let us know what it sounds like after lets say 4,000 miles

Thanks.

Got 150 miles getting it home, may get few more soon but 4,000 going to be sometime in the spring. (after warranty)

Billmac - grease was good and oil was changed every engine oil change.

Brad