IGNORED

Rode a Vulcan Voyager today

rickardracing

I'm seeing new 2012 Voyagers with ABS for under $15,000. Add the CB/Intercom and you are still around $16,000.00. Adding those thing to the Venture does not have to price it above $20,000. They may increase it to that but I don't think they would have to.

I really do not think you will ever see a 3rd Gen. I would not hold my breath. And if they do offer one, will it be priced competitely? Right now a new 2nd Gen is just over 20K. The Voyager I rode with an intercom and cb was at 18K.

Competitive with whom? All the other touring bikes are above 20K to start. The Voyager is the lower priced. So even above 20K they are in among the major players (GW, Victory CCT, Ultra Classic).

I would guess, if they do have a new RSV, that they would come in above 20K but below the others and offer the CB etc. included for that price.

Actually if I was to gete the anything new it would be the Vaquero Special Edition. That candy lime green rocks. The bike definately handles way better than the RSV. I have too much invested in my RSV to get rid of it, but for a second bike, the Vaquero would be in the garage next to it.

My feelings exactly. I loved riding that bike. If I were to buy a bike tommorow it would be that one in black.

Guest scarylarry
My feelings exactly. I loved riding that bike. If I were to buy a bike tommorow it would be that one in black.

Nooooooooooooo you don't want that puke slime green go with the black it is faster

Guest scarylarry
Puke slime green!?!?!? Oh man that hurts! I LOVE that color combo! And we all know Galaxie Blue over Raven Black is the fastest...........:whistling:

My Voyager is cobalt blue over silver....I have more compliments on that bike than I do my RSV black over red...

What bike is Galaxie Blue over Raven Black?

That green is a nice color but my next one will be black no matter what...

As for me, I like jazzy colors. Mine's Electric Red over Raven Black and I get quite a few compliments. The blue would be awesome.

I like something different than everyone else has, and most people have........black. Here comes a bike, what color is it? Oh, its black. Here comes another one! Oh, its black too. Wait here comes ten in a group, lets check them out. Oh, they're all black. LOL.

Black is an awesome color if you keep that sucker spotless, but if its a tad dirty, its doesn't have the kick like it should.

Just my humble opinion.

No complete redesign needed. Update the fairing a little bit, ADD GUAGES, ditch the cassette and the cd player, add ABS and fuel injection. Maybe a sixth gear? Do SOMETHING about the clutch chirp.

A huge cost of manufacturing anything is tooling cost. As in the engine, there would be very expensive diecast tooling along with automated machining. With the amount of the V-4 engines that have been produced, I can not imagine there has been a lot of tooling wear. Given this and all the tooling involved in producing the rest of the components and the lack of extensive change, the Venture should not be that expensive to make.

To give you an idea of what components cost, I was the Quality Manager for years for as company that produced the fan motors that go into appliances such as refrigerators, Coke machines, ice machines, etc. When I left there in 95, they were producing 65,000 motors per week. The motors that went into the Whirlpool refrigerators were sold to them at less than $7 each. If you ordered a replacement from Whirlpool, you can bet that it would cost a bit more than $7. An example of this is the plastic elbow that comes out of the water pump. Yamaha lists this part at close to $50. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that this part is produced at probably less than a buck, given the lack of necessary tooling and engineering upgrades. Can you imagine how cheap that Yamaha, or the supplier, actually has in producing carb diaphragms?

To make changes as Richard noted, it would not be a big cost to do an update that would be enough to freshen up the Venture. As we know, Yamaha has built a great motorcycle, beginning in 1983 up until now. What we also know is Yamaha has done an extremely poor job marketing their top of the line bike.

RandyA

My Voyager is cobalt blue over silver....I have more compliments on that bike than I do my RSV black over red...

My 07' RSV in my avatar.

Warning.....the following is just my opinion. Don't get all bent out of shape over it.

I don't think that Yamaha will make any design or tooling changes to the current RSV/RSTD engine that is directed toward eliminating the chirp or whine. No, it would NOT be expensive to do, but cost isn't the reason they've never fixed it.

If they did a re-engineer to get rid of the aggravating noise, they would in effect be admitting that the noise is a defect. They will never do that, because then every current RSV/RSTD owner who has a whine or chirp would demand that their bike be fixed to correct this admitted defect. Of course, Yamaha would refuse to do that, as it would cost untold millions of $$ in warranty payments to dealers to make the corrections to existing bikes. Likely, someone would then file a class action lawsuit to force Yamaha to fix every existing bike with the whine. Even if Yamaha won the court battle, legal fees would again likely be in the millions. No way to win for Yammie.

Therefore, I think that the only way the whine will ever be fixed is by the release of a totally new engine. It will have to be different enough from the current 1300 that no one can claim that Yamaha "fixed" a known problem.

JMHO.

Warning.....the following is just my opinion. Don't get all bent out of shape over it.

I don't think that Yamaha will make any design or tooling changes to the current RSV/RSTD engine that is directed toward eliminating the chirp or whine. No, it would NOT be expensive to do, but cost isn't the reason they've never fixed it.

If they did a re-engineer to get rid of the aggravating noise, they would in effect be admitting that the noise is a defect. They will never do that, because then every current RSV/RSTD owner who has a whine or chirp would demand that their bike be fixed to correct this admitted defect. Of course, Yamaha would refuse to do that, as it would cost untold millions of $$ in warranty payments to dealers to make the corrections to existing bikes. Likely, someone would then file a class action lawsuit to force Yamaha to fix every existing bike with the whine. Even if Yamaha won the court battle, legal fees would again likely be in the millions. No way to win for Yammie.

Therefore, I think that the only way the whine will ever be fixed is by the release of a totally new engine. It will have to be different enough from the current 1300 that no one can claim that Yamaha "fixed" a known problem.

JMHO.

I agree. What about a liquid cooled v-twin in the 1700 range or even a 1700 v-four? Update the motor to this size with a heavier duty clutch to match the hp and torque and your not admitting anything.

But, as I stated before, they won't be coming out with a 3rd Gen. Hopefully I will be asking for some ketchup to go alone with the crow I would be eating if I am wrong.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Yamaha allready has the next full touring bagger. It is the stratoliner deluxe. all they have to do is add the trunk and some other goodies, like intercom, cb and gps. Maybe abs brakes, heated seats, and grips etc.etc. I hope I'm wrong and they do come out with a new RSV. But it won't happen in this economy.

i still stand by my prediction from 2 years ago. the new max is the test bed for the 3rd gen. the economy put the whole thing on hold just like it did on thr new wing. the new wing was supposed to have been introduced last year, but honda chose to update then old one. boy did they screw up a good bike. no ones going to intro a new bike when no ones spending money.

i still stand by my prediction from 2 years ago. the new max is the test bed for the 3rd gen. the economy put the whole thing on hold just like it did on thr new wing. the new wing was supposed to have been introduced last year, but honda chose to update then old one. boy did they screw up a good bike. no ones going to intro a new bike when no ones spending money.

Man I hope you're right!!

I have to agree that there is little hope for us in 2013. I don't have any faith in Yamaha and that's a shame since I love the royal star (for 1999!!). I'm between jobs right now but when I'm able I'm looking elsewhere. The Kaw is nice I've checked it out twice and since I ride solo the room issue ins't a concern.The Cross country is on my short list too.

What bothers me most is that this could signal the end of this group as we all move on tho Victory, Harley and any one else that is making atempts to listen to their fans.

My bike is Galaxie blue over Black 2008 RSTD.

I really liked the red one they made in 2011 but they didn't make that color for 2012. Sorry but the Green is a little to flashy for me.

If you really like the red 2011 now is a great time to get one. The dealership that I bought my RSTD from is selling a red 2011 for $13,000. I test rode a Vaquero when I purchased my RSTD. I liked the Vaquero a lot but when I rode the RSTD it was exactly what I wanted. I had owned a 1998 Royal Star previously and when I rode the 2009 it just felt absolutely wonderful. I was truly impressed. I guess my old 98' must have been tired or something because that 2009 felt so much better to me.

...As we know, Yamaha has built a great motorcycle, beginning in 1983 up until now. What we also know is Yamaha has done an extremely poor job marketing their top of the line bike.

RandyA

2013 - 30th anniversary of the Venture. Good time to introduce a 3rd Gen.

Sales have increased over the last couple years in motorcycles, but not where they were pre-recession. Plus... the market increases have been in Asia/India. North American and European sales are still so-so. Look at unemployment numbers in the States and ask workers who went from manufacturing jobs to "service" industry jobs what they think of the economy and you'll get an answer about how things are going.

Keep in mind... production of the cassette player has ended. Yamaha probably has enough for 2012 (Japanese Just-In-Time manufacturing remember). They either stop producing the RSV or do a major model change.