IGNORED

Kill Switch Why ?

Cougar

Not sure why there is one on the bike. I hate hitting it while riding and would

love to disarm it. is there a way to do this? :think:

I can understand more so on maybe an ATV or something. but why on the venture?

please make me understand this . :confused24:

If you crash/fall off or something , why couldn't you just turn the key off?

I myself would love to just disable it. has anybody done this ?

Darn thing is just in my way. seems about as useless as the cassette player.

thanks,

Jeff

In the event of the throttle getting stuck wide open it gives you a way to kill the engine without removing your hands from the handle bars or having to look away from the road to find the key while hanging on for dear life.

Yes you could easily disable it. But what are you doing that you are hitting it while riding? In 30 years I have never hit it by accident while riding. I have hit it on purpose when a piece of road debris blocked the throttle open.

Laying it down and landing on the throttle. Key is harder to deal with in an emergency such as an accident. Looking for and flipping the red switch becomes a trained reflex. Especially if you have ever raced motorcycles in the old days. Really useful since most racing bikes don't have rev limiters and there's a real possibility of blowing the engine..

Another good reason for keeping it active is you'll be saving your iginition switch. I always kill the engine with the kill switch rather than just turning off the key. It saves the switch by reducing arcing of the switch contacts. I also turn off the driving lights and headlight prior to turning off the key switch.

Just my :2cents:

Larry

I never remember bumping the one on my first gen but the second gen is another thing. I have used it to turn the bike off when talking to someone but I have also bumpped it, luckly not while riding. If my throddle stuck I think it would be just as simple to pull in the clutch and brake.

You wouldn't want to miss the fun of hitting it by accident around a large crowd of people and tearing the bike apart looking for problem before you noticed. OOPS!! Just calmly pretend you have found problem. "AH That Must Be It!!"Flip switch back on when nobody is noticing, put bike back togather and amaze the crowd with your skills when the bike starts first try!!!

Someone told me this story.....:whistling:

You wouldn't want to miss the fun of hitting it by accident around a large crowd of people and tearing the bike apart looking for problem before you noticed. OOPS!! Just calmly pretend you have found problem. "AH That Must Be It!!"Flip switch back on when nobody is noticing, put bike back togather and amaze the crowd with your skills when the bike starts first try!!!

Someone told me this story.....:whistling:

How did you see me do that Dan? I didn't think anyone noticed.............:confused24:

It's there so you can flip it off while talking to your buddy. Then laugh when they can't get their bike started. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

Same way we used to reach down and flip the choke lever up on the sportster's while riding beside them. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

I have the Voyager kit on my RSV and whenever I park it, it is always left in first gear.

When I pull up I flick the kill switch, then turn off the ignition and pull the key prior to walking away. Actually I need the key to lock my helmet on the side.

The reasons quoted above all make sense for keeping the switch, most importantly to be able to kill the thing in an emergency without taking your hands off the grips.

As for those of us (you) getting caught by your mates flicking the kill switch when you're not looking - get in the habit of ALWAYS flicking it to the 'off' (live) position every time you put the key in the ignition. It's a good habit to develop.

Bit like a pre-flight check in an aircraft.

There are things you just gotta do prior to taking off.

It's quite funny, for my buddies, when I can't start my bike and come to find I have hit the kill switch. It happens only rarely on my GS. But so regularly on the VR that it is finally first instinct when I thumb the button and get nothing.

Also causing momentary panic for a bit was the fact that my cruise button is in the exact same place / relationship to my thumb, as the start button on the GS I have driven forever. Turn on the key, thumb the button, and nothing. :confused24: Check this that and the other and thumb it again and it starts. (Now that I am looking at and hitting the right button.) I just happened to look down and see my problem the last time the VR "wouldn't start".

But through this I have never thought of disabling the kill button. I may need it someday.

I have Disabled mine and I now use the Kill switch to toggle my running/passing lights on and off through a relay. I have my lights adjusted slightly high so I can be seen in the daylight hours but they will blind drivers after dark so I need to control them.

I believe having a kill switch is a waste anyway. I've been riding for over 50 years and have never had a need to use a kill switch on any of the junk I've owned.

I do find this thread interesting to see all the procedures people go through to shut their bikes off etc.:doh:

BOO

I don't think the key is in the same place on all bikes. I think most have them around the same location as the RSV, but some have them on the left side of the bike too... possibly other places. In an emergency response, police, firemen, ambulance attendants, or good samaritans would always know where the kill switch is since it is standard on all bikes and in the same location.

If you are hitting it while riding, pay attention to how you are hitting it and try to change your motion so you don't hit it any more.

Has no one ENJOYED the kill switch where it's located?! That little switch has brought me many laughs over the years. When riding behind a experienced riding friend and no traffic behind you, Wait untill you get the feeling they are really entranced by the ride and scenery and not really paying attention to you behind them. Then you fly up on their right side and reach over and hit their kill switch. It takes them a moment to figure out what the heck just happened....

:rotf::cool10::rotf::whistling:

I've been on both ends of this little trick.

Just remember it needs to be a good friend with a great sense of humor and a very good rider who you know and trust won't panic as well.

:stickinouttounge:

I also need to know HOW to remove it for trimming

OR I might replace it with a chrome knurled typed knob (round)

Do you have to remove the system it's on? OR does it just pop

up with a screw driver?

Thanks,

Jeff

the Motorcycle safety course tries to reinforce the idea of using the kill switch to shut off a bike. Whenever I get on a bike where the rider has recently taken the course I have trouble starting the bike. Now there are about fifty other ways to shut off a bike, one I like most is putting down the kick stand. I just don't like the idea of using something called an emergency shut off switch for routine use. Sort of like my dislike for folks who use turn signals for lane change indicators, they piss me off , there is a name for those things for a reason folks, stop misusing things. Emergency brakes on cars used for routine parking on hills, whats the emergency? wait a bit and when it is rolling away down hill then apply it.

On a serious note I doubt that little red switch would be the first thing to pop into my mind in the event of throttle lock, tipping over, me passing out while driving and having the passenger take over etc. It is nice to have but tip over sensors are for tipped over motorcycles, I would be far more likely to reach for the ignition switch if my throttle locked, and unfortunately if I passed out while riding the passenger wouldn't stand much of a chance taking over control by flipping the kill switch and grabbing control.

Now if a big giant bird swooped down and attempted to steal my bike that red switch would be first in my mind. That switch is pretty much like an apendix more trouble than they are worth

ok maybe I an a little oppinionated

Al

:sign yeah that: My New Beetle Vert has tilt sensors

when it rolls the rear head rest (s) eject to 2 feet

huge steal bars come up for the roll over.

ANYBODY ?? how does the switch lever come off ??

I am also wondering if I could just turn it around so

the pointy part is on the opposite side.