IGNORED

Question about membership dues

n9viw

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm just the new guy and all so I'm going to try real hard not to ruffle any more feathers, but there seems to be a bit of a hornets nest that was kicked here so I don't know if it's possible not too.

My $.02 worth, I think it's unwise to attack the dude. Yes, it's only $12/year. Seems like a reasonable price to pay. I've only been a member for 2 days but have already made a friend and been invited (repeatedly) to the maintenance day that's near me (which unfortunately I can't make). I've been offered PDF's of the service manual saving me from having to buy one and aside from this thread which seems to have gotten a little hostel, seems like a friendly group of guys.

If Don makes $1.56/year, $15.60/year, $156/year off the site, great for him. If he makes $156,000 off the site, even better for him.

Now that being said, and this is the part where feathers are gonna get ruffled, when I make a donation to UNICEF, ASPCA, United Way or any other charitable organization, I like to know where my money is going (IE if 80% of my donation is going to overhead costs while only 20% is going to the actual cause, I may choose to donate my money elsewhere). When I pay membership dues for any organization, I like to know where my money is going. When I buy something from a business, I know the money is going to buy somewhere between groceries and a 2nd house in the Bahamas for the owner of that business.

I don't think that the OP wants to see "the books" or anything but is just kind of curious to know where the money goes, IE into Don's pocket, into a charitable fund for members down on their luck, into meet & greet or maintenance days, or whatever else.

I apologize in advance if I've ruffled any more feathers.

I paid $20.00 a year for three years on the other Venture site. $60.00 total. I got very little or no knowledge passed on, no offers to help in any way, no links and help searching for parts and definitely no warm fuzzy feeling on that site. Ask any question then wait a few sconds for the answers to come rolling in. This site is addicting and will use up time I should be doing other things with but it's the best place to visit every day. I hope you catch on and stay for awhile as you will feel part of the family in time.:fingers-crossed-emo

Nothing to worry about... from what I could see... POND MONSTERS don't have feathers. :Laugh:

(most here know what I'm referring to... if you don't that's another bit of great info that can ONLY be found here for the $12 LOL)

Oh great..bring in the Pond Monsters.... I was almost back to being able to sleep without the nightmarish pictures rolling through my (basically empty) mind.... Guess I need to go watch Looney Tunes to try to get the pictures to go away again... :no-no-no:

Does any of the big bucks stashed away here go towards therapy ??? :confused24:

And the OP rides a 41 year old CB 350??? I'm riding a 5 year old GL 1800 (That's a Gold Wing). However, having ridden my '84 VR until '04, then a '07 RSV for another year, I still have enough interest to gladly pay the $12.00 a year.

As long as one gets the desired value for the $ spent, then why question the gross income of the provider? Did you ever ask Mr. Honda what he's done with all the profit he's made from you off of your purchase of that 41 year old bike?

Ask how many people have been helped and see how many responses you get, and I would be the first cause I have been helped more times than I can remember,and I have been a member since 2005. Don is one of the most caring, generous, friendly person you could ever want to meet, and he still puts up with this bunch of loonies. I have had the pleasure of knowing Don since 2005 when he came to Vogel/Tail of the Dragon, and he has always been there whenever I or anyone else needed help. I have always come away feeling like I am one of his best friends and I bet everyone else feels the same.............I hope Don gets rich enough to retire from this gang, he deserves it!!!

... well my site wasn't about those things....not even close:no-no-no: However, being a redhead and all I have been invited to parties involving similar topics to whips, chains and other fetishes....some people just think the worst of me! Now here's my husband's site (I don't admin this one at all.... http://ravenrosecomputing.com/

Maybe you should Whip, Whip it good as Devo sang, it says you are in the middle of a reboot & won't open hubby's site.

Gary

Guest HdHtr

I came on board in 2005 with a question which was answered and my problem solved 5 minutes after I posted it. And like Buddy said ... a dollar a month for the information, tutorials and help is well worth that not to mention all the folks you get to meet, ride with and ... get into trouble with ...

Priceless:rotf:

Is it worth a dollar a month?? :doh::mo money:Heck yea, End of story or concern.:hurts:

Maybe if Don charged it out at a dollar a month .... instead of the WHOLE TWELVE DOLLARS all at once... ya think that might entice folks more to join ... I mean, TWELVE DOLLARS!! .... crap ... I just can't handle another mortgage on my house!!! :whistling: :rotf:

We have fun and if you don't ruffle feathers now and then you ain't doing it right. I have stepped on toes and gotten mine stepped on to but at the end of it all we get on our bikes and meet up at the local DQ

Edited by etcswjoe

Well I guess 70 responses in one day in defense of the site says it all. I suppose you can see the support of the members on technical advice, road side assistance, riding and maintance meets, and the sharing of ideas and products (and some items that are not even available on the public market) not to mention the friendship of like minded riders.

I remember when this was a free site and the regret that come from Don when he turned to the members with the idea of a subscription fee to help carry the costs of the site to keep it up and running, upgraded and trouble free for all of us. Don carried that cost out of his own pocket of years. I've never had a moment to regret of paying the $12.00 a year for the suscription fee. I'll keep paying it even after, if I ever give up my bikes.

But to be fair, I'd walk a mile in your shoes. I'd ask the President and CEO of my company to provide me with full disclosure of all the expenses and profits involved in his company. I can ony hope my question would be answered in a manner that is similiar to the responses here today. I doubt it would be.

If you see some of the value of this club, welcome to the site. If not, it was nice meeting you. Ride safe.

Mike

What I see in this post,

Is exactely why I am a member here and not some where else.

Talking about something before you get to the VALUE HERE. I don't post often, but the information gathered has helped in so many of my RSV questions. I also like the fact that it's not what you ride but who you are that makes the experience on this site worth while.

This has touched a botton and is exactly why I am not a member of other sites. There is someone making statements without knowing the facts. And you don't always know the facts as a visitor or trial member.

Sorry, Don if this seems argumentative but I had to say something.

Hey all,

I had a quick question about membership dues.

It would seem to me that, with 13,078 members, at $12 per member per year, that's $156,936 per year. WOW! Quite a lucrative business you've got here!

I considered it was possible that, of the listed members, only a portion of them were actual paying members, and the rest were a rotating batch of trial members. I don't know how your member counter works. In any case, figuring on the extreme lean side, let's say that only 1% of that total, or 130 members, were paying crew. That would bring the annual funds to $1,570. Not bad for a gig that's essentially a hobby.

Granted, that's not accounting for expenses (webhosting, cost of software, upkeep, etc), which, for your average vBulletin board (which are generally FREE access) should amount to about $50/month. That takes but a sliver out of the potential pot of dues coming in.

As for the rest... where does it all go?

Oh great..bring in the Pond Monsters.... I was almost back to being able to sleep without the nightmarish pictures rolling through my (basically empty) mind.... Guess I need to go watch Looney Tunes to try to get the pictures to go away again... :no-no-no:

Does any of the big bucks stashed away here go towards therapy ??? :confused24:

Therapy is conducted in the chat room. with whips and webmistress

We have fun and if you don't ruffle feathers now and then you ain't doing it right. I have stepped on toes and gotten mine stepped on to but at the end of it all we get on our bikes and meet up at the local DQ

Well we are family, It's OK if we ruffle each others feathers but unless you are part of the family you'd better not try and ruffle our feathers least you have the whole family upset at you.:thumbsup2:

I think Don is just letting this one ride!! The real key is BANDWIDTH!! Web access is based on how much BANDWIDTH you use!! That means every time you post it costs a certain amount. As the website grows, so does the operating expense. Don tried to keep the site free as long as his pocketbook could hold out, but as it grew he had to make a decision to charge a nominal fee.

True, the membership lists a large amount but that includes all members past and present. A lot of the members on the list were trial memberas who didn't stick around. As far as active members it is a lot less, as was already mentioned.

There is also a lot of "behind the curtains" activities that do not get mentioned that a lot of members have benefited from. I know when I was in the hospital after having my toe amputated there magically appeared a lovely bouquet from VR, and that was before the membership fee came about.

Like other members, I have no problem with the $12 a year!! Such a small cost to keep this great organization and FAMILY together!! I honestly do not know what I would sdo without them!! Any survivers of the "Great Crash" of years ago will tell you trhe desparation we all suffrered and how we all scrambled to get in contact with other members! Even if Don was getting rich off this site, which he is not, I wouldn't care and would continue to support Ventureriders!!!!! :group cheers::beer::group cheers::You_Rock_Emoticon: