IGNORED

wifes pet peeve

Now my wife and I are still fairly new at riding ,18 months ( tho I've rode most all my life). Now back to my wife, seems like anytime we ride and stop we get all kinds of stares like these people can't believe to old farts ride or like they have never seen a husband & wife ride. Now my wife is quite & reserved , but this PISSES her off faster than anything I know. I tried to convince her they are just jealous but that don't help...I mean this mild manner grandmother has even thought about (she didn't do it ) flipping some off for starring..I tell her they just trying to figure out what a good looking woman is doing with me, that don't help either..Course I have to laugh under my breath because this is SOOOOO not like her to get riled up ...

Hair question was easier.

Not sure what to tell you on that one. I don't know if folks stare at us, we have had lots of folks come up to talk to us when we are on the bike. Maybe you need to ride with another couple at some point, then she might not feel so self conscious.

Margaret

Hair question was easier.

Not sure what to tell you on that one. I don't know if folks stare at us, we have had lots of folks come up to talk to us when we are on the bike. Maybe you need to ride with another couple at some point, then she might not feel so self conscious.

Margaret

Well I have to agree with her, we do get a lot of stares...I do have a lot of ppl that will say something but it's always nice..

Must be something about those 'Bama gals. Had the same problem back when I was going with a gal from Bay Minette. Folks staring all the time. Turned out she was just that good lookin'.

I had never really noticed. :rotf: Yeah, right. :smile5:

Mike

Mike there is a lot of truth in "something about those 'Bama gals":cool10:...

I have been riding for 42 years and my wife has been riding with me for 18 of those and people have starred since day one. Talking with some of my non bike riding friends it seems that people have the misconception that we are all trouble makers and all of us carry even us old folks so tell you wife just to start walking over to them and see their reaction.

I think the answer might be two fold.

1) They are folks who think that bikes are a death machine and why would that women want to get on that thing and risk her life like that, after all, she's not 16 anymore.

2) They are just jealous and would love to change places with you,,, and I think this is what is mostly thought.

So just let them eat their heart out,,,, maybe even go over to say HI, and see what their reaction will be,,, it might surprise you ,, and you get to meet more people.

I've owned/been riding almost 50 years. Now with my second wife of just over three years. 1st wife and I waited six years to have our first child, spent almost all of our free time riding. My current wife had never been on a motorcycle until the age of 71! We (either wife) have never discussed being stared at. The early years was leather and engineer boots for me, similar garb for the spouse. Way back then it was big, black BMW's or Harley Davidson, and we understood we were different (and looked different) than almost all of the general public. Now it's a mesh jacket with two removable liners, helmet with intercom, gloves most of the time.

Both of 'em complain(ed) about dealing with hair issues (your other thread), and the current one doesn't like to walk in the riding boots, but it's because she says they are uncomfortable, not because of how they look.

If we (you) are motorcycling enthusiasts, then we must accept the fact that we may be a curiosity to lots of other folks. They may look to see what we are riding, what we are wearing, and they have an inner desire to trade places with us. They are secretly curious about what we do (did) for a living, (how do they afford that?) and why would someone choose to ride a motorcycle? I won't say they are jealous, they just wonder what it would be like to enjoy the freedom of the outdoors the way we do. I just have never thought about them as "staring".

I enjoy the curiosity of the other folks, take every opportunity I can to talk to them about it, promote motorcycling, and encourage them to be aware of motorcycles when they are driving. But (again) I have never even thought about being stared at! Just remember that what you wear is for your safety, not to make a fashion statement.

Your wife should not be "peeved", she should understand that she is one of a select few that get to enjoy what we do. She has choices---either ignore what she percieves as being stared at, politely engage the "offender" in a conversation, maybe ask 'em "How does my hair look?":322: I think she is wa-a-a-ay overly sensitive about this, and it distracts from the enjoyment of riding. Encourage her to ignore or deal with it, do not promote her feelngs of anxiety/frustration/anger.

I hope she can overcome her feelings on this issue and just enjoy the outings.

P.S. We carry (for the wife) a hair brush and comb, spray gel, and I have a mirror mounted for her (and somtimes me) to use, always carried on the bike, seperate from her own personal "stuff". If stopping at a roadside rest area neither of us spend much time sprucing up, but when headed into a restaurant, motel, etc., then we try to be more presentable. It's all in the eye of the beholder, and she always looks good to me. 'Nuff said.

I pulled in to a campground once, I saw a couple getting off their bike and could not help but to stare.... I know it was rude, but.... she was wearing a leather halter, and chaps. Only. He only had chaps on. Both did smile and waive.

Smile-it makes them wonder what your up to. :whistling: You get that from time to time. I kind of look at it like when I see a old hot rod or something show up. You dont see it alot so it catches your eye. I wish we could have gotten some pics of folks staring at us a couple years ago in our trip to NC. We are tooling up I-75 and the wife is on the back of our 900 Kawai playing some game on her phone. People were just amazed. I was like "what? yours will work to text as your suposed to be driving but on a bike its not suposed to?"

I pulled in to a campground once, I saw a couple getting off their bike and could not help but to stare.... I know it was rude, but.... she was wearing a leather halter, and chaps. Only. He only had chaps on. Both did smile and waive.

I would have stared too... lol and would have taken a PICTURE...

ONLY chaps??? ... I don't wear chaps but the chaps I've seen have no crotch .... :smile5:

We get looked over as well but we blow it off most of the time they are looking the bike over and trailer as well.. funny thing is sometimes we get looks like we're trouble until I smile and open the door or hold it open for folks then they smile back saying Thank you! heck we talk to more people at the gas pump then any where else lol most of them saying - wish we could that - man thats not right I have to work or yeah I remember the days when we rode lol

We had a car pass us on the way to B2Mom&Dads meet and when they got ahead of us a kid give us the thumbs up as they went by Peg thought that was so cool seeing that from a young kid..

The wife and I have had our Pic taken quite a few time while riding Don't know why. I haved talked to folks I would never have talked to when at the gas pump or when coming out of a Tim Hortons. They always ask what it is like to ride isn't it cold can you really hear the sterio, I used to have a bike when I was younger or Wish I could afford one... All kinds of things. I think they as some guys have said would like to change places even just for a moment

The wife and I have had our Pic taken quite a few time while riding Don't know why. I haved talked to folks I would never have talked to when at the gas pump or when coming out of a Tim Hortons. They always ask what it is like to ride isn't it cold can you really hear the sterio, I used to have a bike when I was younger or Wish I could afford one... All kinds of things. I think they as some guys have said would like to change places even just for a moment

DITTO!

... and then there's the occasional "blabber mouth" who ya just can't seem to get away from and wish the heck ya hadn't even acknowledged them LOL!

DITTO!

... and then there's the occasional "blabber mouth" who ya just can't seem to get away from and wish the heck ya hadn't even acknowledged them LOL!

Yeah there are times when we want to get a couple of gallons of liquid gold have something cold to drink and get on our way then about the time you are walking back to your mount some old, really old guy who loves to hear the sound of his own voice comes up and wants to talk about back in '47 when he would ride his "hog" and on and on and on. I love old guys and talking to them but when you want to get some where....

Oh and back to the question about people staring I figure they are jealous. Give them a nod and off we go.