IGNORED

missing Goose

playboy

Yes, he is doing OK. Just needed a little break. I can tell you, I miss his around here. Not only his great technical input but his friendship. Hopefully he will be back soon.

Yea, that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I really do appreciate the kind words and thoughts. I'm still around, and I've been checking in a bit now and then.

I'm sorry for the extended absence, but I just had to get away form the rudeness and discourtesy that seemed to be getting so prevalent on our site over the past year. I think that open discussion and debate on issues is extremely valuable, and opposing opinions are much more valuable than a mutual admiration society. But to insult and disrespect other members just because you do not agree with them is not what we are supposed to be about here. And I have seen way too much of that.

We prohibit religious and political topics simply because they always lead to that sort of discord, but, unfortunately, we seem to have slowly allowed the unpleasantness to intrude into many other threads as well, and some of us have been afraid to do anything about it because of the shouts of censorship. So I just had to step back and get away from the unpleasantness.

It did me a lot of good, but I really miss my family here. So I'm back. Hopefully I can help improve things while still providing help to those who want it. But if it turns out that I make things worse, well ..., I guess I'll just have to hang up the spurs for good. I'm a firm believer that if you cannot or will not be part of the good, then ya best do whatever it takes to not be part of the bad.

Ride safe y'all!

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Glad your back and not just so we can pick your brain. I agree things had gotten a little heated and down right rude a few times and I found myself disappointed really thought we were better than that and I'm just as guilty because I didn't do enough to make it better. But anyway that's water under the bridge and if there is anything I can do in the future just let me know.

I am guilty to a few things. One is at Rallies when I have been there I am so one track minded I sometimes forget to try and mingle..I do know of a few that didnt feel like part of the group or event and they felt "left out"so I will try to work on that. The thing I notice about anyone asking for Tech advise is SOMETIMES the delivery of the advise seems critical or condescending. I realize that is most often personality but some take it as a "Slam". I have noticed this alot on another board I belong to. Brilliant people mechanical wise... but their delivery of the message is poorly done. Just a thought. Glad to see you back Goose..

Hey guys, I really do appreciate the kind words and thoughts. I'm still around, and I've been checking in a bit now and then.

I'm sorry for the extended absence, but I just had to get away form the rudeness and discourtesy that seemed to be getting so prevalent on our site over the past year. I think that open discussion and debate on issues is extremely valuable, and opposing opinions are much more valuable than a mutual admiration society. But to insult and disrespect other members just because you do not agree with them is not what we are supposed to be about here. And I have seen way too much of that.

We prohibit religious and political topics simply because they always lead to that sort of discord, but, unfortunately, we seem to have slowly allowed the unpleasantness to intrude into many other threads as well, and some of us have been afraid to do anything about it because of the shouts of censorship. So I just had to step back and get away from the unpleasantness.

It did me a lot of good, but I really miss my family here. So I'm back. Hopefully I can help improve things while still providing help to those who want it. But if it turns out that I make things worse, well ..., I guess I'll just have to hang up the spurs for good. I'm a firm believer that if you cannot or will not be part of the good, then ya best do whatever it takes to not be part of the bad.

Ride safe y'all!

Goose

Glad you're back!

I know I'm new here but I have read a lot and hang around quite a few different sites so I have seen quite a few fuffled feathers. The one thing I see a lot is someone new joins up to their respective site of interest and then asks a question he is told to use the search function. It seems to keep things a lot friendlier if the info is given that they need with a friendly pat on the back so to speek.

I know I'm new here but I have read a lot and hang around quite a few different sites so I have seen quite a few fuffled feathers. The one thing I see a lot is someone new joins up to their respective site of interest and then asks a question he is told to use the search function. It seems to keep things a lot friendlier if the info is given that they need with a friendly pat on the back so to speek.

Dont feel bad...I can never find anything using Search...I KNOW it is me...... besides i like to get the most up to date info.....

Guest scarylarry

I agree and disagree on the new folks using the search tab..

The search box can be confusing for a new comer and they can be the geek from mars, but unless they have use it, it can be a challenge..

So why not answer the the question then nicely say there is a search tab for your questions in the future, but tell them about it search cause I know it get anoying on answering the same questions...

Oil and tires are not included in this...For that use the search more info and threads than we know of..:rotf::rotf:

I guess when someone ask something answer them like you would your boss or your parents, and they will be back if not then you know the rest of the story...

Hey Goose,

Glad you're back. I know how you feel about the reponses from some people. I almost left the site because I was trying to have an intelligent conversation about an issue and one guy said some harsh things and attacked me. I almost let him have it back but I decided to just notify one of the moderators. A few days later I got a reply from the moderator that said he had been away from the site a few days and couldn't address the issue. I was disappointed because I thought the moderator was supposed to look into these kind of things but this one didn't really care. But anyway, I got over it.

Kent,

No matter what anyone says or thinks, you are a vital part of this site, and a great friend! Thanks for your help in the past, and your friendship.

I really missed seeing you at Don's yesterday, and look forward to our next conversation!

I can understand your absence Kent but sure am glad to see your back too. I guess we all have to be like a duck at times and let the water run off our backs and not take things too seriously. Hopefully folks will think a bit more before hitting the send button.

Larry

Yes, he is doing OK. Just needed a little break. I can tell you, I miss his around here. Not only his great technical input but his friendship. Hopefully he will be back soon.

Anybody seen or heard from V7Goose it's been almost two months since his last post not sure on his last visit. Hope he didn't get deleted.

i pm him last week and he responded back to me so he is still alive thats a good thing

ok i feel stupid for not reading the whole thread before posting i guess ill learn one day to read the instuctions before proceding

Edited by pmelah

I am guilty to a few things. One is at Rallies when I have been there I am so one track minded I sometimes forget to try and mingle..I do know of a few that didnt feel like part of the group or event and they felt "left out"so I will try to work on that. The thing I notice about anyone asking for Tech advise is SOMETIMES the delivery of the advise seems critical or condescending. I realize that is most often personality but some take it as a "Slam". I have noticed this alot on another board I belong to. Brilliant people mechanical wise... but their delivery of the message is poorly done. Just a thought. Glad to see you back Goose..
Tom, you are quite right on this, and I know I often rub some folks the wrong way by just getting to the point. But I rarely am INTENTIONALLY rude or insulting to folks, and if they (or someone else) clues me in to the hurt feelings, I am happy to apologize and try to clarify my real intentions. Unfortunately, I am not a touchy-feely kind of guy; I hate dishonesty, verbal games, and veiled messages. I say what I believe, and I say it straight out. You do not have to try and guess what I really meant - there is never a hidden message. I do go to great efforts to try and make it clear when something I say is my OPINION instead of what I consider a fact, but other than that, I expect people to read or hear my words and not try to insert their own imagination into what I actually said.

Welcome to the family SundayRider, and thanks for the comment. I do not particularly disagree with you, but the problem is deeper than it may seem. I know that everyone would love to just be able to get personal answers instantly on any question that might pop into their minds. And if this was a telephone help line or chat session, that is exactly what they would get. But it is not. Beyond the community aspect and information exchange that we do, this site is a repository of great information. In many cases, the newb is not even aware of what information is already here and just waiting for them to find. In those cases, telling them how to find it is "teaching them to fish".

But folks need to also look at the other side. What about those of us that have bent over backwards to share this information? In many cases we have spent literally hours documenting it in tech articles or long threads when the questions were previously asked. After about the 47th time that the SAME EXACT THING is asked, it is sometimes hard to get up the energy to start all over again.

Another thing to consider is the nature of technical questions - they often require detailed explanations or long Q&A when the poster does not provide the information up front. It is a lot easier to repeatedly respond with something like "Turn the key on" (when that is all that is needed) than it is to describe the electrical cutouts and circuit functions.

And then there are the few who just think they are worth more than the rest of us. Occasionally (thankfully very rare), someone will start right out and say that it just is not worth their time to search for the information, so they will ask it again. Those are the rare times when I am intentionally rude by simply being honest - when they make it clear that is how they feel, I will bluntly tell them that it is not worth my time to type it all in again either.

Bottom line is that if the question was last dealt with a year ago, it is a lot easier to dive in and start fresh with someone than if it was just covered last week. So those of us who spend a lot of time dealing with the technical questions will continue to try to find the best balance between the desire for instant gratification and the irritation of repetition, and we hope that those asking will also consider that they are asking for a favor instead of commanding an employee to do whatever they want.

So here is to the "family" that we have become on this site, and the give and take that is needed to keep the family together.

Goose

I am so glad to see you back and posting again. To say that I appreciate and truly need your help around here is an understatement. When I first started this site, I tried to respond to every single post. As the site and membership grew, that became almost a full time job and had it not been for folks like you who stepped up to the plate to help out, a lot of folks would simply not get the answers that they are looking for. In addition to the time factor is the simple fact that I do not have the vast knowledge that is needed to answer all the questions that come up here.

That's just a long way of saying that I truly need you around here and though I have told you privately, I just want to say publicly that I sincerely appreciate all that you do.

Most of all, I appreciate and value your friendship.