IGNORED

Quick question on Building (garage)

Yammer Dan

I have to make decision on building TODAY!! Finally gets here and rushing me but I want to get it DONE!! Question is;

Metal or block building??? He claims he can bring block in for close to price of metal. I'm thinking block has a lot of advantages but hard to finish inside once up? Any thoughts quickly?? I have to let him know this evening!!!!

I'm not a carpenter by any means. But metal might be tough to insulate if needed. What about running your elec etc? No wall so to speak to mount shelves without making "brakets" from beams.

On the CCB you have something to fasten to, but you have to mount furring strips to mount drywall to it if thats what you want. I think I would go with just the "industial" elec hookups that run inside conduit and screw them to the wall. For grins call your insurance guy and see if there is a differenc in your rate. Down here in Fl the metal would prob be cheaper simple because the roof would be all metal and the hurricanes are a little more surviable.

Go block with a wood roofing build, run electric around the top and drop down the wall in conduit to metal boxes ( a little higher initially, but better in the long run), I'll help you online or phone with that part.....

This'll pay in security for your area!!

PS, see what insulation put into your blocks would cost

I worked for Morton Building for many years as a supervisor in my five state area. I personally would go with metal. VERY easy to run elec., plumbing, and heat/cooling. Also very easy to insulate. Also very easy to replace any metal that might get damaged if bumped into. If you like the block "look", there are many options for that as well.

JMHO

Bill

I would go metal with closed cell spray on insulation. they go up fast and they are easy to work with and very strong. If you want to make any changes later (doors windows ect) very easy with metal not so easy with block.

It really doesn't matter you aint never gona see that guy again.:stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I would go metal with closed cell spray on insulation. they go up fast and they are easy to work with and very strong. If you want to make any changes later (doors windows ect) very easy with metal not so easy with block.

It really doesn't matter you aint never gona see that guy again.:stirthepot::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dude that was cold dude! Really Cold! :rotf::rotf::stickpoke: :moon::moon::moon:

But your probably right! :whistling:

Oh ya steel!

I worked for Morton Building for many years as a supervisor in my five state area. I personally would go with metal. VERY easy to run elec., plumbing, and heat/cooling. Also very easy to insulate. Also very easy to replace any metal that might get damaged if bumped into. If you like the block "look", there are many options for that as well.

JMHO

Bill

Block will not get damaged if "bumped" into in the first place.

Block will not start to rust in 1 years or so.

Block will most likely outlive you.

You could still go with a metal roof over block.

I am looking at going to a metal roof on my house soon.

I may not know everything about building but I do know enough to have a 1st gen.....

Edited by Flyinfool

Go here. www.carport.com and build yours and see what the price is. The price shown includes installation. I'm having one put in the first of April. I'm putting a 22x36x9 in for around 5500. Putting smack on the ground. Then pour my slab with the rebar sticking out over the frame like fingers to hold it in place. Puts the floor 5 inches above the ground so water should not be a problem. We have nothing but rock under that area so it won't be sinking any. Oh yea, looks like they install in your area. as does http://www.gaport.com.

I had a block building and hated it. Cold, damp and hard to heat. Tore it down and went with frame construction. 2 X 6 walls, vinyl siding and dry wall interior. I have a gas furnace but if I could do it over I'd have put radiant heating in the floor.

When I retired from the first job I built a 30 x40' garage. I went 2x4 construction and did the work myself. I just like it because it's easy to work with. If you are going to fir out the block anyways seems like extra work to me.

I agree that pex in the floor and doing the radiant is the way to go. rat walls with a sloped floor.

I did storage trusses and they will give you 1/2 the width in additional top storage ( mine is about 16' x 40' of storage.

Got to have that overhead storage for necessary stuff like xmas decorations. Oh wait, if I got them outa my garage I would have to get the wifes car in there instead of just the RSV. Hmm oh well it's her choice. lol

Whats a lawn mower? I live in a converted Greyhound bus and carry my 1st gen on a rack. If the lawn gets too shaggy we move to another campground. However, if i were building a garage, it would be block for longevity and insulating qualities. Windows and doors can be added later if you wish. I would also build in a well ventilated pit for working under my car and a permanent raised platform for working on the bikes. Might as well build in a restroom too. That way the wife won't get upset when you wash off all that grease and oil. You also eliminate those pesky 5 minute interuptions when you are trying to get something done. Let us know how it goes. As long as we are just making suggestions, how about building in your air compressor and hard plumbing air lines. Of course if it gets too nice you may end up with too many visitors. Its up tp you!

Edited by Howard B
adding items

He probably has a first gen mower and we all know a first gen aint got enough power to make a dent in anything.:stirthepot:

hate to sound like a traitor to the cause...but I disagree with the above statement.

My first gens have sure put a dent in my pocketbook! :mo money: