IGNORED

100 MPH Speeding Ticket...

Owen

There is so much utter rubbish talked in State Legislatures about driving speeds that it is no wonder folk consider many of these laws to be laughable.

How can it be that your speed on an Interstate in one State can be "within the tolerance" granted by LEOs, yet in another State is a Reckless Driving charge?

If the speed limit is 85mph, then 20% over that is 102mph .... In a School Zone with a 25mph limit, the 20% over is 30mph. In Oklahoma you have to exceed the speed limit by 10mph to be shifted into a higher tariff of offence, yet in a school Zone that would be 35mph, a 40% excess ... Which is more reckless? 40% over the limit in a School Zone or 20% over on a clear Interstate?

None of it makes any road safety sense at all, yet it makes a great deal of sense if the objective is to fleece motorists with a hidden tax.

Speed doesn't hurt anyone. Bad driving hurts people and if States can't get their heads around that it is high time the Federal Government took control of matters, at least on Federal roads.

At least that way we may have a chance at an informed national discussion.

just my 2c

I thought the Idea of riding the bike, was to enjoy the road, the views and the smells, and the company your with. so what do you see at 100 MPH? other then red and blue lights behind you?:mo money::mo money::mo money::doh:

you must not have ever meet owen? i've seen him chase a black bear club down a mountian road on his second gen.

reguards

don c.

you must not have ever meet owen? i've seen him chase a black bear club down a mountian road on his second gen.

reguards

don c.

Hey I was just looking at him... I wasn't about to mess with him to see if Momma was around!

I am a lurker here, mostly, but thought I'd chime in on this one since I have a little experience in this area. I am a State Trooper with 18 years of experience. I have issued literally thousands of tickets, and believe it or not, most are NOT for speeding. I have worked about a thousand motor vehicle crashes of all types and varieties and am a trained traffic crash reconstructionist.

Speed kills. Lets get into the math: Kinetic energy is possessed by any object in motion. Kinetic energy is harmless when dispersed over any amount of time, i.e. a controlled stop. We all feel the deceleration, but suffer no ill effects. It is when this Ke is dispersed suddenly that we have problems. The mathmatical formula for determining Ke is 1/2 the mass of the object (weight) times the velocity (speed) squared. This is expressed in familiar terms as foot/pounds or in the case of traffic crashes pounds/mph.

In simple terms, a vehicle of known weight traveling 55mph possesses a certain amount of Kinetic Energy. If you accelerate the vehicle to 70mph, the energy nearly DOUBLES! If you don't believe me, do the math. The energy goes up exponentially...litterally. That is two times the energy to dissipate during a crash event going only fifteen mph faster. That is the fundamental mathmatical truth of the relationship between Speed and crashes. Newtonian physics applies to all of us.

As far as any "Tolerance" allowed by LEO's....in my state the speed limit is just that. A LIMIT. As in the upper end...the most allowed.....don't go faster than this. That being said it looks a little bad if I have to taser a guy that I stopped for 57 in a 55. Most guys I know want to make certain they have stopped a violator for something worth the inherant risks involved in a traffic stop.

And you are right, you can't outrun Motorola. Ride safe.

Scott:322:

I thought the Idea of riding the bike, was to enjoy the road, the views and the smells, and the company your with. so what do you see at 100 MPH? other then red and blue lights behind you?:mo money::mo money::mo money::doh:

all those sights and sounds, at an accellerated speed

stopped for 57 in a 55

Scot welcome to the site, and I can do the math and understand. However there is always risks people take and some will loose.

I just want to say 57 in a 55 that is just not right. Maybe in certain areas but on the open road, sorry.

Brad

I am a lurker here, mostly, but thought I'd chime in on this one since I have a little experience in this area. I am a State Trooper with 18 years of experience. I have issued literally thousands of tickets, and believe it or not, most are NOT for speeding. I have worked about a thousand motor vehicle crashes of all types and varieties and am a trained traffic crash reconstructionist.

Speed kills. Lets get into the math: Kinetic energy is possessed by any object in motion. Kinetic energy is harmless when dispersed over any amount of time, i.e. a controlled stop. We all feel the deceleration, but suffer no ill effects. It is when this Ke is dispersed suddenly that we have problems. The mathmatical formula for determining Ke is 1/2 the mass of the object (weight) times the velocity (speed) squared. This is expressed in familiar terms as foot/pounds or in the case of traffic crashes pounds/mph.

In simple terms, a vehicle of known weight traveling 55mph possesses a certain amount of Kinetic Energy. If you accelerate the vehicle to 70mph, the energy nearly DOUBLES! If you don't believe me, do the math. The energy goes up exponentially...litterally. That is two times the energy to dissipate during a crash event going only fifteen mph faster. That is the fundamental mathmatical truth of the relationship between Speed and crashes. Newtonian physics applies to all of us.

As far as any "Tolerance" allowed by LEO's....in my state the speed limit is just that. A LIMIT. As in the upper end...the most allowed.....don't go faster than this. That being said it looks a little bad if I have to taser a guy that I stopped for 57 in a 55. Most guys I know want to make certain they have stopped a violator for something worth the inherant risks involved in a traffic stop.

And you are right, you can't outrun Motorola. Ride safe.

Scott:322:

I have come across this attitude before and in that respect fully understand where it comes from.

However, it is completely wrong, at least insofar as it uses irrelevant information to bolster a poor point.

There is no dispute that the faster a vehicle is traveling, the more likely it is to do serious damage ... IF IT HITS SOMETHING.

Speed, in of itself, does not cause a vehicle to hit anything. Do guns kill people. or do people kill people, with guns?

The only dangerous aspect to speed, is speed used inappropriately, and we are back to the bad driving argument. Speed limits, per se, are a complete irrelevance in this debate.

None of this addresses the disparity between jurisdictions. Is it safe to drive at 85mph on an Interstate in Texas? If so, then why is it considered dangerous to exceed 65mph in others? What is more, I wonder if LEOs from those "other" States would come here and tell us that exceeding 65mph was dangerous, because it was the speed limit, and would they get into a fight with the Texas LEOs who were busy laughing into their radar guns?

Let's remember that accidents have causes. What is "accidental" is that there was no intention to cause the incident, but they still have causes and there is still someone, or more, to blame. Every accident, with the odd exception of some freak events that couldn't reasonably be anticipated, has bad driving as the root cause. Speed may be indicative of bad driving, but not always so.

One of the problems we have is that "Good Driving" is not taught. We teach to a test and a set of rules, many of them arcane and contradictory. Driving is not a test to pass, it is a life skill to learn, and keep learning. One of the things one learns is what the appropriate speed to drive at is given the prevailing conditions. That may, or may not be the posted speed limit.

In Ontario we don't need to get to 100 mph to see a huge fine. Anything over 50 KPH or 30 MPH (see below).

Brad

The legislation includes tough measures for those who choose to race (anything above 30 mph) on Ontario’s roads, including higher fines and longer suspensions:

• The maximum fine increases from $1,000 to $10,000 upon conviction for street racing, making it the highest penalty in Canada. The minimum fine increases from $200 to $2,000.
  • Police can issue an immediate seven-day driver’s licence suspension and seven-day vehicle impoundment for street racing, participating in a driving contest or stunt driving.
  • Courts can impose a driver licence suspension of up to 10 years for a second conviction, if the second conviction occurs within 10 years of the first. For a first conviction, the maximum licence suspension period remains at 2 years.

Like like his answer. And yes, speed does kill. It may not always be the only factor, but its the most common. What always interested me was figuring the feet per second and seeing just how far your moving at speeds. Also average reaction time is approximately 3/4 of a second before even getting on the brake.

And I know for those of you that has followed me down the road, what most of you all are going to say. I don't always lead by example, I like to have fun too. Shame on me....:biker:

Admittedly I have a lead foot. I love to push the caprice and enjoy the power and wind. I also know being disabled my reaction time is slower than even the avg driver. Hence why I wait til I get an open stretch of road alone, usually the interstate and have my fun. My thought is if I wreck I'll do my best to only let it be me. That said driving intown traffic around here I'm still prepared to punch it merge or avoid accidents. In GA the super speeder law has been admitted to being a tax on speeders to pay for trauma care in the state.

Like like his answer. And yes, speed does kill. It may not always be the only factor, but its the most common. What always interested me was figuring the feet per second and seeing just how far your moving at speeds. Also average reaction time is approximately 3/4 of a second before even getting on the brake.

And I know for those of you that has followed me down the road, what most of you all are going to say. I don't always lead by example, I like to have fun too. Shame on me....:biker:

Got no idea what you are talking about buddy....:whistling::innocent: