IGNORED

Spammers, Spammers and more Spammers

Freebird

Just so you all know, we are getting HAMMERED with spammers right now. Over the past 3 days, there have been around 150 attempts by spammers to join our site and post their crap. Only 3 of them have succeeded in actually getting by the protections that I have in place and I caught and deleted 2 of those before they ever managed to make a post here. One did manage two posts before I caught and banned him.

It's a never ending battle. I honestly don't understand what they hope to accomplish. First of all, even if they manage to register, it will be a very short lived experience for them. Second of all, do they not understand that NOBODY is willing to do business with a spammer? Even if they have a good price on a decent product, I would never give them a dime of my money.

Don it never amazes me at how much attention you pay to your baby, with work keeping you on the road, having quality time with your lovely family, I don't know how you find time to do what you do. You not only protect us from each other........u protect us from scum spammer scams!! Thanks ever so much for everything you do for us. I have said it before and I will say it again..............UDAMAN!!!!!

:clap2::thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

I used to run a RC helicopter forum so I can feel your pain with trying to control the spam.

Thanks for doing the hard part.

There are enough idiots that do respond to spam and give them money to make it worth their effort, If there was no payback they wouldn't do it.:crying:

I read somewhere once that it only takes 2 hits from 1 million spams to generate a profit.

I have some spam for sale...I found it in an old barn twenty years ago. I read or heard once that it never goes bad, so I am offering it to the highest bidder. The high bidder must sign a "hold harmless" agreement.

I hope this is in the right location or should I move it to classifieds in "non motorcycle".

:farmer:

I have some spam for sale...I found it in an old barn twenty years ago. I read or heard once that it never goes bad, so I am offering it to the highest bidder. The high bidder must sign a "hold harmless" agreement.

I hope this is in the right location or should I move it to classifieds in "non motorcycle".

We could have that along with my 60+ year old bottle of JB. That should kill any germs....:whistling:

Great Job Don, catching those spammers! :cool10:

I have had alot of them trying to purchase the Harley I have for sale. Luckily, None are from this Site. It would have to be very frustrating for you having to deal with these IDIOTS. Thanks for keeping on top of it. Just like any crooks, if they would only put there expertise to good use. Later-

I have some spam for sale...I found it in an old barn twenty years ago. I read or heard once that it never goes bad, so I am offering it to the highest bidder.

Yo...Big Tom..... I'm thinkin...... Spam flavored Ice Cream ........ :ice_yaw-vi121414111

I'd have to pass on the 20+ year old SPAM.........Now, if that'd been 20 year old Twinkies, it would be a whole different discussion! I don't think they CAN go bad.... lol

Somehow I think ther is some humour in here from days gone by........How about clueing us younger generation folks in. :stickpoke:

If you aren't familiar with Monty Python... search for the "Dead Parrot" skit or the "Lumberjack song", movies "Life of Brian", "Meaning of Life", "Holy Grail" (laughed hard when the Black Knight had his limbs cut off and still wanted to fight!), "And Now for Something Completely Different". John Cleese was funny in "Fawlty Towers"....

Black Knight - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno[/ame]

Dead Parrot - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218[/ame]

... and remember...

"Some things in life are bad,

They can really make you mad.

Other things just make you swear and curse.

When you're chewing on life's gristle,

Don't grumble, give a wistle!

And this'll help things turn out for the best...

...always look on the bright side of life!"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo[/ame]

Sorry if the links don't work... I'm at work and they block youtube. I'll fix them tonight if necessary.

A lot of the spam is not really meant to be read on the forum or they expect business from the forum they hit, it is meant to increase their Search engine rankings.. the more links back to the crap they are peddling they post on the interwebz, the higher up they will be when someone goes to Google looking for Cilias, prozac, extenz, or whatever crap they are looking for.

I run 3 forums and I just changed mine to Admin approval for new accounts to be activated and have a couple of people that can do it. I also put messages for people to email me if they want to be activated faster. I gave up trying to fight it :) I also block a lot of IP addresses on the server especially from China & Russia. I am using phpBB & SMF though and not familiar with what vBulletin has in place.

Thank you for the work you do I know it is a constant battle.

Well, there were 83 more spammers that tried joining last night. All intercepted this time. Very frustrating but all part of the game.

I am really starting to hate gmail. About 95% of these spammers use free Gmail accounts.

I have a number of different solutions in place to watch for them but it seems that sooner or later, they find ways around them. At this time I have 5 different solutions in place to watch for and automatically block them from registering. I had 4 in place until yesterday but too many were getting around all of those. I added a 5th one last night and it is working pretty well so far.

This would be a good case to let supporting members only post in the classifieds, rather than anyone who drops in. I used to run a marine classified section on my web site. All went well for about a month, but once the spammers discovered it they were all over it like white on rice. I finally killed it. Wasn't worth the hassle...

This would be a good case to let supporting members only post in the classifieds, rather than anyone who drops in. I used to run a marine classified section on my web site. All went well for about a month, but once the spammers discovered it they were all over it like white on rice. I finally killed it. Wasn't worth the hassle...

It's been that way for a long time. I figure if somebody joins here just to sell their bike in the classifieds, $12.00 is cheap enough.

It's been that way for a long time. I figure if somebody joins here just to sell their bike in the classifieds, $12.00 is cheap enough.

Then I guess I don't understand what the problem is, but it seems to me if they can't get in to post, then they can't spam the classifieds?? If they're giving you the $12 bucks to be a supporting member, and then abusing the classifieds, dump them and keep the money... Sounds like a win lose situation to me..... :) Lemme see?? 83x$12.... :sign woo hoo:

Maybe I'm the one that doesn't understand. I haven't said anything about anybody trying to spam our classifieds. They try to register and then post or add links in their profile. Only supporting members can post ads in the classifieds so that hasn't been an issue.