IGNORED

tenting

calgaryrider

In answer to your question, the last tent that I bought is my favorite. It's a coleman, hooligan 3, and has plenty of room for all of your stuff and has a vestibule for some of the things that you don't want to bring into the tent. Reasonably priced. I think around $70.

The rain fly goes all the way to the ground, and that is a good thing.

And is easy to set up and take down.

Good luck,

Steve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second this ...

You don't even need trees!

A large motorcycle on its center stand with the rear of the bike pointing directly at anything vertical and less than 20 feet away can easily support a hammock.

Fix one end to the tree, post, whatever and the other end to the bike.

One thing you might consider is a motel every other night. That cuts your bills in half yet still gives you time and space to clean up and relax every 48 hours.

Not arguing but I am not sure I would use my bike. After doing the vector math, the forces are too high for a support that may move with with less than 1500 pounds or less. JMHO with math that is.

Sent from my DROIDX

Not arguing but I am not sure I would use my bike. After doing the vector math, the forces are too high for a support that may move with with less than 1500 pounds or less. JMHO with math that is.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well no one should do stuff they are uncomfortable with .... On the other hand, the bike is an 800lb dead weight that you would be trying to pull backwards, with quite a bit of the force downwards and only half of your weight. ... It is very unlikely to move, and that method has been used many times with no ill effect. Most hammock straps are rated at 200lb ..... so, 400lb total as there is one at each end.

Just throw the idea in with all the others, and do what you feel okay with.

In answer to your question, the last tent that I bought is my favorite. It's a coleman, hooligan 3, and has plenty of room for all of your stuff and has a vestibule for some of the things that you don't want to bring into the tent. Reasonably priced. I think around $70.

The rain fly goes all the way to the ground, and that is a good thing.

And is easy to set up and take down.

Good luck,

Steve

And wouldn't ya know it.... you can get these tents at Walmart, Canadian Tire, Zellers, etc.....

I also recommend staying away from tents stocked by places like canadian tire . walmart etc. as I have tried them and woke up wet maney times.

:stickpoke: :stickpoke:

Tried camping in a tent for a couple years! Decided I am too darn old to wake up on the ground and got sea sick trying to get dressed on a air mattress that has deflated!

Got us a m/c camper (with air btw) and we love it.

A little tip we discovered last week travelling in our cage south. Check out the rest stops and get a book of coupons for various hotels in that particular state. There are some good deals to be had out of those books.

Dome tents are the best. Depending on where you camp, the other shapes will have trouble with wind. I have a three pole and a two pole 2 man and both are good but the three pole is that much more solid. Add a short length Therm-a-rest mattress to keep your back in shape and you're good. The whole kit is compact and effective. I'm 6'6" and there is room for my wife and our camping stuff. Lisa and I made our way on a 2 week trip by camping three nights and rooming on one with this set up.

Fair winds!

-JK

Ron and I went to Sturgis in 09, and camped in our 9 x7 tent. We do fine, only problem was when the airmatress sprung a leak, Not as comfortable after that.

We usually camp at Freebirds. I am an old Girl Scout so it is second nature to me. I find it to be an adventure on our Venture.attachment.php?attachmentid=63295&stc=1&d=1326335464

Home sweet home!

Yama Mama

Last year we bought a Field & Stream tent from Dick's Sporting Goods. Looks alot like the Coleman Elite 8. We had to use seam sealer. Apparently I missed a spot or 2 and it was just enough to let the rain in. :-( I personally wouldn't recommend it for one reason. Nice tent but a real pain to setup especially if you are the only one doing it. I am guessing around 30+ minutes. If you have 2 or 3 people helping probably wouldn't be so bad. Definetly not something for the bike either. Maybe if you had a trailer as it is heavy even in the bag.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/lylejt/Camping%2006_25_2011/DSCN0035.jpg

This is the one I use.

http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-2-tent

I am 6' 1 1/2" tall. Has aluminum flexible poles, sets up in ten minutes, has plenty of sleeping room plus room to spare for a duffle bag. I have slept through some pretty severe thunderstorms and came out bone dry. Plus it all packs up very small, about the size of large thermos and fits right in the saddle bag of my 89 VR leaving plenty of room for my riding clothes. I highly recomend it. PS on hot summer days you can leave the fly off as the inner tent is one big mesquito net.

http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-2-tent

mountian co-op also has a good selection of tents.

I also recommend staying away from tents stocked by places like canadian tire . walmart etc. as I have tried them and woke up wet maney times.

Whatever tent you get, I would recommend the following;

1) Follow instructions for waterproofing (if applicable) to the letter!

2) Make sure it can stand on it's own if required (no pegs).

3) If it comes with plastic pegs REPLACE THEM with metal ones!!

4) As mentioned previously...use a ground sheet.

5) If you do get caught in the rain, take the first opportunity to dry that puppy! My sister returned a brand new tent she had borrowed from me years ago. "Oh yeah, we dried it!" Two months later when I opened it up before a camping trip to make sure all the poles and pegs were there, I could have made penicillin with the mold!

6) HAVE FUN!!!

Dome tents are the best. Depending on where you camp, the other shapes will have trouble with wind. I have a three pole and a two pole 2 man and both are good but the three pole is that much more solid. Add a short length Therm-a-rest mattress to keep your back in shape and you're good. The whole kit is compact and effective. I'm 6'6" and there is room for my wife and our camping stuff. Lisa and I made our way on a 2 week trip by camping three nights and rooming on one with this set up.

Fair winds!

-JK

Not entirely true. Geodesic dome tents yes will stand up to strong winds but I have seen some of the non-geodesic dome tents blow away. the eureka duo is shaped like the stealth bomber and similar shaped tents stand up extremely well to gale force winds.

Whatever you decide here are a few things to keep in mind

1) should have a tub style floor with sides at least 6 inches high.

2) the floor should be of very water proof material.

3) avoid plastic floors as they add bulk when packing to save space.

4) the floor should have no stitching or seams at ground level and preferebly double tapped at any of the seams that do exist

5) the fly should go right to the ground

6) the zipper for the fly should be located at a pole not between poles, so as not to form a trough were water would run and leak through the zipper.

7) the zipper should be covered with a generous flap.

8) the fly should have loops to which additional guy lines can be attached in case of very heavy winds

Edited by saddlebum

Not entirely true. Geodesic dome tents yes will stand up to strong winds but I have seen some of the non-geodesic dome tents blow away. the eureka duo is shaped like the stealth bomber and similar shaped tents stand up extremely well to gale force winds.

When Ron and I were in Spearfish, there was a big storm. This is not unusual in South Dakota. A strong wind can come from no where.

This was during the night, Ron is snoring. The air mattress is is flat and I am lying on the ground. All of a sudden the tent stacks must have not been in the ground securely, the corners of the tent start to pull up.

Ron is still snoring. I go out of the tent in my underwear (do not tell him), it was an emergency situation. I re-secured the stakes back into the ground. I thought for sure we were going to blow away. Ron is still snoring. I climb back in, zip up the tent.

I laid flat on the ground with my legs and arms holding down the corners of the tent. We made it, the tent held up through it all. Ron was still snoring. Shocker.

It is sort of funny now, I guess.

Yama Mama :smile5:

Except you!:smile5:

Yama Mama

Thank you, you must be a very good judge of youthfulness.

You might be .....your starting to repeat yourself....:rotfl::witch_brew:

I am tooo used to doing that, seeing as I was with some one last Saturday evening that I had to repeat myself. Sign of old age that is, not hearing so good anymore.

Whatever you decide here are a few things to keep in mind

1) should have a tub stiyle floor with sides at least 6 inches high.

2) the floor should be of very water proof material.

3) avoid plastic floors as they add bulk when packing to save space.

4) the floor should have no stitching or seams at ground level and preferebly double tapped at any of the seams that do exist

5) the fly should go right to the ground

6) the zipper for the fly should be located at a pole not between poles, so as not to form a trough were water would run and leak through the zipper.

7) the zipper should be covered with a gernerous flap.

8) the fly should have loops to which additional guy lines can be attached in case of very heavy winds

WOW starting to go crossed eyed trying to think about all that. :starz:

Starting to look good just to have a large tarp over the bike and sleep in the saddle:whistling:

Calgaryrider,

Actually what saddlebum listed are pretty common for a decent tent, but the one thing that most do not have is a rain fly that goes to the ground. This is the one thing that I was looking for when I got my Coleman Hooligan 3. It does. Another good one that I have is an Eureka timberline. Both are reasonably priced. One more thing, in my opinion is that it should be self supporting. Sometimes getting a stake in the ground is impossible, and a self-supporting tent won't matter.

Check out some of these online.

Steve

Edited by eagleeye
added picture

When Ron and I were in Spearfish, there was a big storm. This is not unusual in South Dakota. A strong wind can come from no where.

This was during the night, Ron is snoring. The air mattress is is flat and I am lying on the ground. All of a sudden the tent stacks must have not been in the ground securely, the corners of the tent start to pull up.

Ron is still snoring. I go out of the tent in my underwear (do not tell him), it was an emergency situation. I re-secured the stakes back into the ground. I thought for sure we were going to blow away. Ron is still snoring. I climb back in, zip up the tent.

I laid flat on the ground with my legs and arms holding down the corners of the tent. We made it, the tent held up through it all. Ron was still snoring. Shocker.

It is sort of funny now, I guess.

Yama Mama :smile5:

:worthless:

Or better yet video.....:big-grin-emoticon: :scared: :duck: