IGNORED

tenting

calgaryrider

i have camped on rides for years now and Im a big guy not only tall but wide. i use a 6 man tent and it fits well on my bike. i use it because i can stand up inside it(somewhat). aint nothing worse than having to crawl out on your hands and knees to use the John in the middle of the night. as far as safety most states have a castel doctrine that includes tents.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calgaryrider,

Actually what saddlebum listed are pretty common for a decent tent, but the one thing that most do not have is a rain fly that goes to the ground. This is the one thing that I was looking for when I got my Coleman Hooligan 3. It does. Another good one that I have is an Eureka timberline. Both are reasonably priced. One more thing, in my opinion is that it should be self supporting. Sometimes getting a stake in the ground is impossible, and a self-supporting tent won't matter.

Check out some of these online.

Steve

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/583/product_image/thm/t400_64b4cb63cb81b49f735aafa90ec80199.jpg?1326514193

This Timberline looks pretty good, Eagleeye Do you have any Pro's or Con's regarding this line of tent (this is the timberline SQ2XT $229.00usd)

When Ron and I were in Spearfish, there was a big storm. This is not unusual in South Dakota. A strong wind can come from no where.

This was during the night, Ron is snoring. The air mattress is is flat and I am lying on the ground. All of a sudden the tent stacks must have not been in the ground securely, the corners of the tent start to pull up.

Ron is still snoring. I go out of the tent in my underwear (do not tell him), it was an emergency situation. I re-secured the stakes back into the ground. I thought for sure we were going to blow away. Ron is still snoring. I climb back in, zip up the tent.

I laid flat on the ground with my legs and arms holding down the corners of the tent. We made it, the tent held up through it all. Ron was still snoring. Shocker.

It is sort of funny now, I guess.

Yama Mama :smile5:

I guess I'd be like Ron, unless I heard the cowardly lion or the tinman all you'd hear from me is snoring:stickinouttounge:

The tent that I have now is the Hooligan 3, and I wouldn't trade it, but before this, I used a two man timberline for many years, and I'll say that I was in some really good storms and in the morning when everyone was out drying out there stuff, mine was dry and the tent stood up to the storms.

I also used one up in the boundry waters on a week long canoe trip and it stormed alot, and again, I stayed dry and the tent stood up well.

If I were to get a timberline now, it would be the 3 man so me and my traveling gear would all fit comfortably.

One thing for sure is that a vestibule is a great thing to have, whatever tent you end up with.

Good luck,

Steve

I bought the Coleman Tuscana tent several years ago for two reasons: Target had it on clearance for $70 and it was tall enough (7') that I did not have to bend over while in the tent. I was preparing for a 2 month trip across the US and half of Canada. 20k miles later including two trips to Freebird's MD I am still in love with the tent. It has withstood the winds of South Dakota, the cold of Nova Scotia, and torrential downpours throughout the southeast!

Pro's:

Roomy

Easy to assemble with 2 people and some practice

The door

Con's

Roomy which makes it hard to keep warm without a space heater or heating blanket

Has leaked over time but very little and seam sealer resolved that

1 person setup can be done but not easily

Rain Fly can be a pain to set up till you get use to it

Obsolete (Coleman now makes a "Montana" for 4 person, 6 person, or 8 person)

Other reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Tucana-Tent-2d-16x10-27/product-reviews/B000LWGG0K?pageNumber=3

https://www.google.com/search?q=coleman+tucana&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=65kRT9n8OI_qtgf25YGqAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CF0Q_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=899

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS464US465&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Coleman+Montana