IGNORED

How would you have avoided this ...

SilvrT

... if you got caught in this situation, how would you have handled it and avoided going down?

(happens appx 2:05 in the vid) also, who do you feel is at fault (one or the other...)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQCLW1jVDo&feature=player_embedded]motorcycle crash part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

They're both at fault, the car for passing in a no passing zone and improper lane usage. The mc for also passing in a no passing zone.

Looked like he may have been able to save if it had gotten off the rear brake as soon as it began to lock up if he had enough room not to hit the rear of the car.

There is no avoiding an accident in that circumstance, in my opinion...never mind how good a rider one is.

The only way to avoid it is to think safety at all times.The double yellow lines are there for a reason.

Riders use normal roads like a race track, and what you saw is the result of such foolishness.

Excellent road though, for motorcycling..:thumbsup2: but too busy in my opinion, to enjoy riding it.:yikes:

N.B. This is not in response to above post.. i think we just posted at the same time.

Edited by chabicheka
posted same time as above post..

1) Don't pass on double yellow.

2) Too close behind 2nd car while riding and when beginning the pass.

3) He was in the car's blind spot.

4) Use more front brake, less rear brake.

5) Ride ATTGAT. No boots, gloves, no armor in pants. Glad he had a helmet.

6) Take a MSF advanced course and learn how emergency stops work.

Completely preventable accident. Hope the kid wasn't hurt too badly.

RR

It s very easy to be a monday morning quarter back.I hate to put blame. What I will take from this video is a lesson.This can happen to anyone.The rider was having fun and the car in front was impeding this.You develop tunnel vision, and you want to accomplish one thing (get away from these slow pokes).

I am guilty of the similar situation and I'm sure many of you are as well. Thanks for the reminder of keeping a level head

No one else mentioned it yet.

1. Did anyone else see the oncoming bike coming toward both idiots as they started there pass?

2. I do not know for sure about other states but here in WI, it is also illegal to pass 2 vehicles in the same pass. There was not room to have done this either so that means he was intending to pass 2 cars in a no passing zone.

The cage should get at least 2 citations, Failure to signal and crossing a yellow line, and the bike at least 3, failure to signal, crossing a yellow line, and passing more than one vehicle at a time.

He could have prevented going down by not releasing the rear brake while the rear tire was sliding sideways, as soon as he took his foot off the brake is when the bike high sided. That will happen every time. He was slowed down enough to regain control, but it was his improper braking technique that still made him go down.

If you step thru the vid you can see the car involved was very close to the car in front of it - indicating some impatience on his part, coupled with the fact that they had just come to the crest of a hill - where your vision improves and may present the opportunity to pass (albeit illegal) - with these factors in mind one might play the " what if " scenario in their mind before making critical decisions. also if you freeze the frame at 2:05 you will see one lucky bicyclist who barely dodged being part of this accident. The fallen biker appears to have escaped serious injury (hopefully) and the driver of the cage may never have seen the biker bite the dust. Like others have said, this was a totally preventable accident which we can all gain some valuable insight. Merry Christmas to all VentureRiders !

I hate to be judgmental...but he looked like one of them critters referred to as a squid...too much bike, not enough experience, not enough protective apparel. Rode beyond his skill level. That's what squids do. That's why they call them squids. And now he'll be famous on Youtube. I think I heard someone call him Squidward.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

I hate to be judgmental...but he looked like one of them critters referred to as a squid...too much bike, not enough experience, not enough protective apparel. Rode beyond his skill level. That's what squids do. That's why they call them squids. And now he'll be famous on Youtube. I think I heard someone call him Squidward.

I tend to agree. He should have noticed the car ahead following very closely and obviously wanting to pass. Definitely low on experience as the locked rear brake shows. It's hard to say for sure, but he certainly seemed to have room to slow down fast enough to be out of the way had he used more front brake. It didn't look like he even touched the brake handle. And it was both an illegal and dangerous place to pass. At least a month's worth of mistakes there...painful ones at that!

Andy

Classic example of high siding. Gotta love dem delinked brakes... :whistling: They were both in the wrong passing on a double yellow. The car had already been passed by the first two bikes and they were also double yellow illegal. That's what happens when these guys think they're on super bikes and a closed track. Testosterone time looking for an accident to happen. My opinion... rider was at fault for exceeding his ability and passing illegally, and the car should have beeen cited for an illigal pass.... if they ever found him or her?? IMVHO

Another part if this situation is that there were three bikes riding together and two of them had already passed the two cars. This tends to make the last rider in that group even more impatient. But, this also should have given the driver of the car even more warning that the bike behind him was going to do the same thing.

This is one of those events that to me is a crash, it is not an accident. There was not anything that was accidental in this situation. It was a set of intentional events that had very poor timing.

RandyA

He could have prevented going down by not releasing the rear brake while the rear tire was sliding sideways, as soon as he took his foot off the brake is when the bike high sided. That will happen every time. He was slowed down enough to regain control, but it was his improper braking technique that still made him go down.

:sign yeah that:

I think his first mistake was not paying attention to what the car driver was doing. The biker was intent on getting past the cars and catching up with his buddies and failed to notice in time that the car was crossing the line .... a good indicator that he's going to pass. The biker was late reacting and when he did, he panicked and locked the rear and had no realization of his available escape route. He's a young, inexperienced rider, there's no doubt about that. Hopefully he learned a good lesson from this albeit a hard way to learn.

As for crossing the double line.... it seems to me (from the vid) that this road is double-line pretty much all the way. Sure, yer not supposed to pass on a double line but when on roads like this and following slow-pokes, one does tend to "take a chance" when it appears safe enough... I know I have and I've done it many times over the years. Illegal... sure .... but if that's the worst illegal thing a person ever does, what's the big deal? It only becomes an "issue" if you get into a situation such as in the vid.

The ability and agility of a motorcycle to pass a vehicle far exceeds that of a cage. On a bike, we can maneouver quicker, accelerate quicker, and have a lot more room to do so. As such, riders will pass slower cages at the first opportunity. Experience does not necessarilly make you a non-aggressive rider but it does tend to save your butt if/when you get into a "dicey" situation such as the rider in the vid.

I've had similar situations either during a pass attempt or a cage changing lanes. In most, if not all of those, what has saved my butt was experience, being aware of the "indicators" of other drivers and anticipating their actions... it's a lesson for all "inexperienced" riders to learn .... awareness and keeping your cool. The other part is knowing your bike and knowing how to handle it in "emergency" situations such as in the vid.

Edited by SilvrT

Maybe I need to watch it more than once. I can't from the office but, in my minds eye, he had locked up the rear and was fishtailing. If he would have grabbed more front and locked up the front, wouldn't that have sent him over the top? I guess I should go look at it again.