IGNORED

Won't Ship to Canada?

Trader

No Canada shipping, sorry.

I don't own a 2nd Gen so I'm not in the market for anything from this seller, but I've seen this often on E-Bay and now here and I always wonder WHY NOT?:think:

Boxing it up would be the same price!

The Buyer usually has to pay the shipping (and deal with customs)...so what's the problem?

It is always preferred to use USPS instead of UPS or FedEx to avoid the outragous brokerage fees they charge to cross the border.

That means you have to pay the postage up front....but you can always have the buyer pay the cost before you ship.

So why do sellers DISCRIMINATE against us poor Cannucks?:fiddle:

(Did I just open the floodgates for a world of digs?):doh:

I've sold a few things via eBay and was one that preferred to stay in the states. At the time I was less concerned about shipping issues and more concerned about payment defaults.

That was before eBay pulled paypal into their bed. With all the changes that eBay has made to their payment rules I actually became so annoyed by it all I haven't had any desire in over a year to even browse their sellers, let alone want to sell anything myself.

Though I will admit part of that ia a result of buying a very expensive used "used but full functional" item from someone claiming to be in Everett, wa. Then finding out he was actually driving across the border to ship.

I will say eBay and papal made good and I got my.money back. But it cost N ARM and a leg in shipping for me to return the item as eBay required it be mailed to his address on record which was in Canada. Cost to ship a dead boat anchor inverter back for refund was over 60 dollars usps.

Had it not been for the new eBay safeties would have been taken for over 1000. I am more worried that the shady character is still in operation.

So nothing against Canada, I just hate the extra paperwork when it is so much easier to ship items in country.

Bob

Marshall, il

....I just hate the extra paperwork when it is so much easier to ship items in country.

I think this it what it really comes down to. Even for us to ship to the U.S. there is extra paperwork with Custom's forms. So much for "free trade".

The other thing mentioned is returns. If there is a warranty issue it is extra time/paperwork/cost if they have to cover return shipping charges. For example... I recently returned a lower patch cable to J&M in warranty. $30 item that will cost them $20 to ship to Canada plus extra paperwork for U.S. Customs. I have no issues with J&M but is it worth it to them?

For us in Canada... pricing in the U.S. on many items is lower than in Canada, even with the $ at par or our buck worth even more. It might be worth it to us to have it shipped to Canada but for the seller it opens up other issues. And then there is warranty issues (Yamaha is a good example) where warranty isn't good across the border and some items considered "grey market".

Are there any Canadian vendor's that won't ship to the U.S. ?

For whatever its worth, I've probably shipped several dozen items internationally from the USA using USPS, and in the big scheme of things it is no more hassle than shipping in the USA. One minute to fill out a customs form, is a 'drop in the bucket' after spending time a) listing an item, b)taking money, c)corresponding with a buyer, d)boxing the item, and e)going to the Post Office.

Paypal makes it easy, but there is a currency conversion charge that a seller may want to add. But paypal does say its against their rules to charge back paypal fees. Sometimes I've done that and sometimes not.

For expensive items I've used SWIFT international bank transfer, but my bank does charge a $16US fee for an incoming SWIFT transfer and frequently I get a few dollars less than agreed on due to the US dollar going down in the 2-3 days it takes for my bank to post the transaction.

The best way to take money internationally for a US seller is to be paid in a money order drawn in US dollars, or Federal Express traveller checks. But one has to be cautious of bogus check scams, which abound. ie: I won't ship an item until the funds clear.

It really, really, really, REALLY ticks me off when people won't ship to Canada. :mad: Heck, I can get stuff from Hong Kong or China and they have NO PROBLEMS shipping to Canada - it's usually FREE. :)

I will never understand how someone can discriminate against us Canadians, who are supposed to be your FRIENDLY NEIGHBORS, and not ship here. :( And, yes, we do feel discriminated against. :(

I've bought things from the UK, from Australia, from Hong Kong, etc., etc., etc. and it's never been an issue. ALWAYS ship USPS - nothing else. EVER. It takes awhile but it gets here eventually. :)

As soon as I see "No shipping to Canada," I walk away and will NEVER purchase from them again. :mad:

Try telling someone in the USA you won't ship TO them. They'll have a FIT!! Do you realize how expensive it is to ship things here??? :yikes: It's way more than it is for you (USA) to ship to us (Canada).

Every time I've purchased from USA, I know it's no returns, no refunds (unless defective) and that's just the way it is. If you're willing to take that risk (which I usually am), why should the SELLER care where he/she is shipping it? You go to the post office, you fill out a form and off it goes. I don't see what the big deal is. :confused:

So, yes, it really, really, really annoys us Canadians when people refuse to ship to us. :mad:

Heck, they'll ship to California, 4,000 MILES away, but won't ship to Nova Scotia from New York??? It's a LOT closer. :confused07:

I've bought things from all over the USA and never had a problem yet. Nothing's ever gotten lost and, yes, shipping takes longer but we Canadians aren't used to that instant satisfaction you guys in the USA have of overnight shipping. That rarely happens here. It still drives me nuts to see "FREE SHIPPING to everywhere in USA only". Sigh. :doh:

Oh, well, I'd rather live here and I guess it's the price you pay :) but when sellers outright refuse to ship to Canada, yes, it really does annoy me. It makes me think they think we are lesser beings or something. I just don't get it. :confused07:

:canada:

I had a friend that ran an internet sales company. He finally made the decision to stop shipping to Canada due to issues with packages not making it to the final destination and then he had to eat the cost of the lost product. He determined that with the losses figured in that it was costing him money to have customers in Canada.

It was not every package that had an issue but he said that about 5% of the packages that he sent to Canada never made it. His margins could not cover that much loss. the insurance offered by the shippers is scam at best. Very hard to recover any losses.

I had a friend that ran an internet sales company. He finally made the decision to stop shipping to Canada due to issues with packages not making it to the final destination and then he had to eat the cost of the lost product. He determined that with the losses figured in that it was costing him money to have customers in Canada.

It was not every package that had an issue but he said that about 5% of the packages that he sent to Canada never made it. His margins could not cover that much loss. the insurance offered by the shippers is scam at best. Very hard to recover any losses.

I wonder how often that was buyers trying to scam him? :mad: I've been buying for years and years from USA via USPS and never ever had even one parcel lost. Held up, yup, but lost? Never.

I have just sent a question to the vendor and ask if they would ship here if I paid the shipping charges up front. No problems, I was turned down just once. That was for a set of progressive springs. I just bought the set That was on the forum from Bill so it all worked out.:)

I never have had a shipment not get to any of my Canadian customers yet. I always use USPS for shipping any out of country item. Shipping fees are outrageous thou for bigger items like my lift adapters. Bubble wrapped items are very reasonable at usually less than a buck difference between the two countries.

I just don't understand why there has to be brokeage fees etc if going thru UPS but when using USPS items sail right thru. Not to mention the time packages get held up in customs so long going thru UPS.

I sent a Freestanding lift adapter to Goderich, Ontario recently and shipping there was more than double to what it cost me to ship here in the states. So as much as I hate to do it I'll have to continue to charge for the extra shipping fees. On the Customs forms I just keep a few on hand here at home and fill in the info before going to the Post Office.

As far as paying for my items I now require funds paid thru PayPal in US funds. My bank recently started charging me $15 just to put out of country checks into my account. Not worth the hassle for my smaller items & don't want to add more expense to the customers either by adding that to their bill.

So for now my Canadian customers are safe as I will continue serving them.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

You're one of the GREAT vendors out there, Larry!!!

We Canadians expect to pay more for shipping and I never have a problem paying it. It's pretty obvious when people inflate their shipping costs (which MANY do) and I don't deal with people like that.

It's amazing how cheap USPS is, though, compared to Canada Post!!!! :yikes:

I for one don't ship outside the U.S.

My margins are very slim and it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with customs forms and trying to estimate international shipping. The time I spend on that is time I could be using to make money other ways.

Please don't take it personally.

I find that smaller sellers.. individules... will ship to Canada via USPS International flat rate. It's the larger sellers that run larger shipping depts that won't do it. Reason, there's no way to track the shipment other than UPS or Fedex, and the cost is a prohibitive. Another reason is they have a system set up, and are too lazy to change.

I bet I've sent 30-40 fork braces north of the boarder to members via USPS Int flat without a hitch. The cost is over double to do it, but it doesn't take any more effort than a domestic shipment would. Everything is done online from printing the lable to paying for it. I chose to drop the item off at the PO, but I could schedule a pick up if I wanted to.

I do on occasion ship very large oversized packages overseas to Spain, Italy, Germany etc. using UPS because of size restrictions with USPS. But if I can get away with it I'll use USPS everytime....

It really, really, really, REALLY ticks me off when people won't ship to Canada. Heck, I can get stuff from Hong Kong or China and they have NO PROBLEMS shipping to Canada - it's usually FREE.

I will never understand how someone can discriminate against us Canadians, who are supposed to be your FRIENDLY NEIGHBORS, and not ship here. And, yes, we do feel discriminated against.

I think it's because of the multi-colour ("color" to you Americans) of our money ! And don't forget we use $2 bills/coins which was forbidden in the States ! We also call "soda" "pop" up here, we wear "running shoes" instead of "sneakers".... and we spell words the British way instead of American English!

:stirthepot:

I wonder how often that was buyers trying to scam him? :mad: I've been buying for years and years from USA via USPS and never ever had even one parcel lost. Held up, yup, but lost? Never.

I second that... slows down when it hits Customs but I've never had a package not show up. Sometimes Customs will hold it a few days when shipped USPS but it comes thru. (with UPS I've had things held up for a week - maybe that is why they charge $60 brokerage fee -for storage?)

As for lost parcels.... maybe things shipped to Paris Ontario ended up in France? Things sent to Boston or Cambridge Ontario to Massachussetts? Gotta have the right postal code on them !

it's just not worth the hassle of dealing with customs forms and trying to estimate international shipping.

What hassle? :confused07: It's one form.

What estimate? You take it to the post office or weigh it, measure it and look it up online. It's very, very simple these days with computers. There's no estimating required.

As for lost parcels.... maybe things shipped to Paris Ontario ended up in France? Things sent to Boston or Cambridge Ontario to Massachussetts? Gotta have the right postal code on them !

Yup, always put, in nice large block letters, CANADA on the package and make SURE you have a postal code. If the postal code is correct, it cannot go to the wrong place.

I found out a few years ago there's an Ontario in California!! LOL

Another reason is they have a system set up, and are too lazy to change.

I think that's their main reason. After all, they're making money, why bother with any hassles whatsoever?

with UPS I've had things held up for a week - maybe that is why they charge $60 brokerage fee -for storage?

LOL Could be. I won't use them to cross a border anywhere. Within USA and within Canada, they're fine but once you cross the border, they charge shipping, taxes, customs AND a "BROKERAGE FEE" that is ridiculous. I won't let anyone ship to me that way.

we wear "running shoes" instead of "sneakers"

Hate to rain on your parade but I've worn sneakers for over 35 years now!! LOL

What hassle? :confused07: It's one form.

That requires NAFTA codes and a bunch of other crap.

What estimate? You take it to the post office or weigh it, measure it and look it up online. It's very, very simple these days with computers. There's no estimating required.

The customer checks out and pays before I ship. With domestic shipping I can have the software do a pretty good estimate of the charge. For international the only way I could protect myself would be to jack the rates sky high.

In many cases it's a $50 order that I make about $2 on. Not worth a trip to the post office.

Not trying to fight about it. It just doesn't fit my business model.

I have always shipped to Canada and everywhere else for that matter.

I ship using usps express mail and product has always made it there in 5 days or less. There is more paperwork but what is a few min.'s to fill out a few forms. The express mail shipping has really gone up over the years. My grills boxed only weigh around 3 lbs. and they charge 41.00 to mail it. 4 years ago the same service was 19.50.

Just my 2 cents

I too have shipped to Canada many times. I have had one or two instances where they never received the package. In those cases, it was only a couple of patches or decals and I just sent them out again. Not a lot of money involved.

I've had the same thing happen once or twice shipping with the USA also.

If I was selling higher priced items, it would have been a bit bigger deal.

I, like several others, have found a USA drop point. It works well for me coz I am so close to the border and that drop point (appx 1/2 hr depending on how long the border lineup is). Prior to that, it was sickening to buy anything and have it shipped here. for example, my 15" lightbar which cost something like $45 (maybe it was even less) cost me $28 bucks shipping. Now, I just get a shopping list together, buy all at once (generally free shipping to USA) and have it shipped to the drop point and make one trip for all of it.

I bought a backrest just before leaving for Cody and had it delivered there ... it was waiting for me when I arrived ...free shipping. Yet it would have been not worth getting it if I had to have it shipped here.

There are so many products we Canucks want to buy "on-line" but unless it comes from a Canadian distributor (which generally is not the case), we either hesitate or don't buy it because of the shipping costs. It really sucks man!

What's also disturbing is those so-called Canadian distributors who only tender in US dollars and their products are shipped out of the USA so even tho we are dealing with a "Canadian", we still get the shaft.

I am one of those that will not take Canadian orders on ebay. I only have an option (unless I am missing something) of putting in one shipping price, so I put in a reasonable domestic shipping cost and restrict my sales area. If a Canadian were to contact me and offer to pay the actual shipping costs to Canada, I would have no problem.

Squid sent a set of light brackets to Canada that never showed up and never got returned. Maybe they will show up 40 yrs later and someone will wonder what they are :rotf:.

Personally I have no problem with them not shipping to Canada as I just go pick it up. I know that is a bit more difficult from Dartmouth but I am sure a member would be willing to ship it too you if you paid the shipping. If it is saving you money then why not, just ask sure someone will help you out.

Maybe in our vendor section we could have a sticky that states which members would be willing to receive a parcel and resend to Canada. Just an idea

BRad

Guest scarylarry

Only time I was going to shipped to Canada was a set of HD pipes it was 85.00 plus the cost of the pipes..

That was deliver to the person's door we both agree he would be better locally than buying from me...

I couldn't believe 85.00 for a set of HD pipes that weight 15 lbs.