IGNORED

Bike seems Unstable

I bought a 2008 rsv a couple of weeks ago, had always been a GW rider until now. The problem is at speeds above 55 mph the bike seems unstable, similar to wind buffeting but in a zero wind condition. I've considered tires (it still has the original 404's) or loose steering head, just not sure. The bike only has 2075 miles on it and the previous owner had the 400 mile check preformed. Any ideas?

:confused24:

I wouldn't expect the steering bearing yet, but they could have been installed loose. When braking with front brake only you will feet the movement in the head if they are indeed loose. Tire would be suspect on a three or more years old bike. The tires themself could be six or more years old. If you don't feel the bearings moving, then a new set of tires are warranted. I would change the tires regardless. Make sure the tire air pressure is alright.

:farmer:

Well having just gone down on my 2008 RSV because of a blown rear tire I would say REPLACE THE TIRES NOW. Yes I ment to shout.My bike has only 3000 mi on it. We had just left on a short trip,I had aired up the tires,38 front 42 rear. 40 lbs in the rear suspension 4lbs front.Tire blew 4 hrs into the trip just over the state line from UT into CO going east past Vernal.The bike had 509 miles on it from the first owner and had sat garaged 3 years.Shouldn't make a difference but maybe it did.I also had D404.So i say again don't be cheap go get new tires. The 250 they will cost as compared to the 100s of thousands this is costing me not to mention the personal and family anguish is cheap cheap cheap.

check the pressure in tires and shocks. I run 40 to 42 in tires and 5 in my front shocks and 40 in my rear. If that doesnt change it then get rid of those 404's. If you want Dunlops , they say Elite 3's, or Anon venom's, and I am presently running metzler 880's and have been happy with them. Hope this helps. Safe ridn.

I'm running right at the same tire pressure as was posted, however I was running zero zero in the shocks, I'll try adjusting them and see if it makes any difference. I'm inclined to just replace the tires for safety if nothing else, I've used Metzler before on one of my wings and had good luck with it so that will probably be my choice, don't like the E3's as I've also used them and found them to be noisy. Thanks Everyone.

Keep the shiny side up.

Well having just gone down on my 2008 RSV because of a blown rear tire I would say REPLACE THE TIRES NOW. Yes I ment to shout.My bike has only 3000 mi on it. We had just left on a short trip,I had aired up the tires,38 front 42 rear. 40 lbs in the rear suspension 4lbs front.Tire blew 4 hrs into the trip just over the state line from UT into CO going east past Vernal.The bike had 509 miles on it from the first owner and had sat garaged 3 years.Shouldn't make a difference but maybe it did.I also had D404.So i say again don't be cheap go get new tires. The 250 they will cost as compared to the 100s of thousands this is costing me not to mention the personal and family anguish is cheap cheap cheap.

I hope your doing fine, the bike can always be replaced but body parts can't. Thanks for the advice.

I'm running right at the same tire pressure as was posted, however I was running zero zero in the shocks, I'll try adjusting them and see if it makes any difference. I'm inclined to just replace the tires for safety if nothing else, I've used Metzler before on one of my wings and had good luck with it so that will probably be my choice, don't like the E3's as I've also used them and found them to be noisy. Thanks Everyone.

Keep the shiny side up.

Keep something in mind about those Metzelers. While most have had good luck with them, some of us have had rubber coming off the rear tire in chunks. I had 3 sets on my RSV and lost rubber from 2 sets. It seems to be a problem with the RSV and Metzeler rear tires. And im not the only one who has had these problems. Most of us are running the Avon Venoms now with no issues. Use what your comfortable with but just consider this a heads up.

I've also used the Avon's in the past, had a problem when one delaminated. But they were a great tire otherwise, good gripping in the twisties and no problems in the rain, and as I recall they were fairly quiet. May just have to reconsider them. Thanks

Don't fool around with this. A 2008 is still under waranty. Take it to your dealer and have it checked. They should be able to tell you if the front end is loose or not. If it is a tire issue they can tell you that as well.

Mike

I'm starting to believe that an unstable feeling at speed and on long high speed sweepers, is just part of the Venture. I've been chasing this problem since I bought mine.....new tires (E3's front and back) with various air pressure, rebuilt forks (new springs, oil), removed checked and repacked steering neck bearings, checked and triple checked all wheel bearings, tried different/no windshield. I have yet to look at is the swingarm bearings, but I can find no play in them with the swingarm in place. And I'll replace the rear shock come winter, though It feels fine.

I've ridden only two Ventures (a new one and my 2000) but they both did it. Mine more so than the new one, but still.....

I bought a 2008 rsv a couple of weeks ago, had always been a GW rider until now. The problem is at speeds above 55 mph the bike seems unstable, similar to wind buffeting but in a zero wind condition. I've considered tires (it still has the original 404's) or loose steering head, just not sure. The bike only has 2075 miles on it and the previous owner had the 400 mile check preformed. Any ideas?

What you describe is absolutely not normal for this bike. Speeds do not make any difference - I can ride without hands at an actual 80 MPH (indicated 90) with no problems at all! D404 tires are not great, but not all that bad either, so they cannot be blamed unless one is defective or not beaded up right. There are a number of other things that can cause the problem, and steering head bearings are right up there - I find most new Royal Stars do have loose steering bearings before 10,000 miles. Other major causes are over inflated tires, uneven pressure in the forks, and not enough air in the rear shock.

Bring the bike over and we'll check it out and talk about all you need to know with a Venture. Just bring some beer with ya! :big-grin-emoticon:

I'm starting to believe that an unstable feeling at speed and on long high speed sweepers, is just part of the Venture. I've been chasing this problem since I bought mine.....new tires (E3's front and back) with various air pressure, rebuilt forks (new springs, oil), removed checked and repacked steering neck bearings, checked and triple checked all wheel bearings, tried different/no windshield. I have yet to look at is the swingarm bearings, but I can find no play in them with the swingarm in place. And I'll replace the rear shock come winter, though It feels fine.

I've ridden only two Ventures (a new one and my 2000) but they both did it. Mine more so than the new one, but still.....

Absolutely not normal on a Venture.

Goose

• 1 year later...

My 06 RSTD had a rear wobble at speed in corners especialy a bumpy corner. Had new Dunlop 404's when I bought it. Only got 3500 out of rear to the bars. Front in good shape still. Put on a E3 on rear and she's great now in corners. Pressures are the same before and after. The E3 seems to have a little flatter profile than the 404. Looks better too. I drive it a little harder than I should for such a big bike (no chichen strips left) but I'm happy now!

I woulod check tire pressure, if thats good consider tires, even if they appear to have good tread, there could be internal seperation of the belts. I won't tell you what kind of tire is best or worst. I never seem to get over 7K on any tire either on my wing or My rsv and 5K on the fjr(but I know why on that one) after that consider steering head or swing arm if not that keep checking things from most likely to least likely. My wing has a little wobble but I know I need to replace the steering head bearings with roller bearings, but what you discribe on the rsv sounds like a tire issue to me

Al

Last year after installing a brand new set of E3's on my 06 I experienced the wobble/unstable problem which you are now having. Squid checked/tightened the steering head bearing and the problem vanished.

I'm on my 2nd set of E3's now and I love the way the bike handles/rides. Prior to the E3's I had gone thru 4 sets of Dunlop 404's and 3 sets of Michelin Commanders...and all those tires never gave me the use mileage/performance of the E3's. I run zero pressure in my front forks and 30 psi in the rear shock.

Boomer....who sez yer problem will be solved if ya let Goose have a crack at her.:cool10:

With zero air in the shocks... I have to lean towards it being the tires as well. You didn't say what mileage you have on the bike.

Air pressure makes a big difference. I was 1 1/2 lbs light on the front (was at 34 1/2 instead of 36psi) and the bike felt like it was floating thru turns. Corrected pressure and now it feels "nimble".

Make absolutely sure there is no air in the (front) shocks before playing around with air in them. The bike should run stable with no air. As a rule of thumb, I put 10% of total rider/passenger in the rear shock (I'm 200lbs so I put 20psi in the rear shock). Also, get a zero loss pump to put air in the shocks.

D404's are one of the OEM tires so the recommended pressure is attached.

Input I need input. While it appears we have been discussing an old problem, we all gained a little from the discussion. One of the reasons I left the goldwing group was for being chastised for discussing an old post as if it was current. It was of interest to me and others who were activly discussing it even if it was old.

Please don't think I am bashing you for pointing this out, your statement was far from the level of vitriol that came from tthe gw group

Al

Yea, don't take it wrong. We tease a lot here but you are not being bashed for bringing up an old thread. :)

You got the best suggestion when V7Goose told you to bring it by. He is VERY GOOD on these bikes and I'm sure can help you get it resolved.

With the low miles, I would be surprised if it is the tire. If it was run at low pressure for those miles though, I supposed it could be. If you have any cupping though, you can usually feel it by running your palm gently around the outer edge of the tread.

If there is no cupping and both front and rear tires are at the proper air pressure, I would still suspect that the head bearings are loose.

Input I need input. While it appears we have been discussing an old problem, we all gained a little from the discussion. One of the reasons I left the goldwing group was for being chastised for discussing an old post as if it was current. It was of interest to me and others who were activly discussing it even if it was old.

Please don't think I am bashing you for pointing this out, your statement was far from the level of vitriol that came from tthe gw group

Al

Wasn't trying to chastise anyone just :stickpoke:fun. But it is a little confusing trying to help someone when were not sure what bike there riding. It really helps when a person adds that info under there user name. Somebody else will have to help with that because I don't remember how. But I was sincere about who was needing help and apologize if I offended anyone. Going to go find a dictionary and look up Vitriol.

Wasn't trying to chastise anyone just :stickpoke:fun. But it is a little confusing trying to help someone when were not sure what bike there riding. It really helps when a person adds that info under there user name. Somebody else will have to help with that because I don't remember how. But I was sincere about who was needing help and apologize if I offended anyone. Going to go find a dictionary and look up Vitriol.

[/QUOTte

Hey, when your done looking that up let us know what it means ......:think: