I had a similar issue and was able to get them loose using an impact driver. Worth a try first. You can always drill and use an extractor if it fails.

Dave

Agreed impact driver if you have access to one and use the biggest head possible. Or the biggest phillps head that will fit. If not you could try screw extractor. Drilling if your carefull

One of mine came out using the "Get a well fitting screwdriver, apply some torque and tap the end with a hammer method", the other had a damaged head and came out in seconds with a screw extractor.

Hey Rabbit,

The slots in a metric screw have a different angle than a "American Made" screw driver. That's why it is so tough to get those Metric Screws out. Harbor Freight sells an Impact Driver for $14.00, and it has the Metric Angle in the interchangeable tips. I always try this method first. If the slots are "buggered up" then use a drill motor, and just drill the head off. Then use vice grips to get the threaded part out. Here is a link to a solution to this problem, once and for all:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3331&title=first-genvr-master-cylinder-s-scap-screw-set-21&cat=22

This kit is for the Front Clutch and Brake Master, If you want the set for the rear Master, Let me know.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Yup! You need the metric version of phillips for all the screws on the bike. Try giving the screwdriver a good wack with a hammer first before trying to unscrew. Yes, impact screwdriver is the best way but a hammer sometimes busts loose the rust and crud holding the screw...

The special screw drivers mentioned above are technically called JIS screwdrivers. Primarily we need the phillips type driver.

Only place I could find them at was McMaster-Carr. Went to 4 auto supply stores, Sears, Harbor Freight, Lowes & Home Depot, none had them

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-%28japanese-industrial-standard%29-screwdrivers/=d703y3

I got the 3 piece set for $26, plus a reasonable shipping amount. I had them in 2 days I think.

3-Piece Standard Screwdriver Set—Includes tip sizes #1, #2, and #3.

Per Set

53325A61$25.95

After using them, I don't know why I waited so long to get them. They have a much better grip on the screw than American standard phillips.

Gary

• 5 months later...

I have also joined the stripped screw ranks.

Actually, I didn't notice the brake reservoir has 1 stripped & one broken screw. (looks like the head was drilled out but not fully.

I have some fun to do. BTW would anyone know what size screw that is? Is in Yamaha only or would home depot have a stainless replacement?

Andy

I have also joined the stripped screw ranks.

Actually, I didn't notice the brake reservoir has 1 stripped & one broken screw. (looks like the head was drilled out but not fully.

I have some fun to do. BTW would anyone know what size screw that is? Is in Yamaha only or would home depot have a stainless replacement?

Andy

I think they are M4

Stainless replacements shouldn't be too hard to get. Add a little anti-seize.

Hey Rabbit,

The slots in a metric screw have a different angle than a "American Made" screw driver. That's why it is so tough to get those Metric Screws out. Harbor Freight sells an Impact Driver for $14.00, and it has the Metric Angle in the interchangeable tips. I always try this method first. ...:thumbsup2:

Earl

I cannot stress enough that the impact screwdriver is a required tool for working on your motorcycle. It should be in your box right next to the duct tape and WD-40.

I cannot stress enough that the impact screwdriver is a required tool for working on your motorcycle. It should be in your box right next to the duct tape and WD-40.

I bought my Craftsman impact screwdriver when I was a kid, when I 1st found out my Honda 500 used screws not bolts for the side covers.

If not for that tool I would have stripped many a faster on it.

I had the same problem I just drilled out the head on both screws took off the cap then used vise grips to unscrew the rest from the body, then I put stainless in there. But someone here might have a better solution.

:sign yeah that: Absolutely the best and easiest way to get them loose. When putting in Stainless coat them with a tiny bit of silicon caulk or spray. Eliminates galvanic corrosion between the stainless and aluminum housing.

I got my JIS screwdrivers at Central Hobbies. About $26 shipped. Included four sizes: 00, 0, 1, 2.

Go here: http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

But the screws on my master cylinder reservoirs were already too far gone for the JIS drivers to work. Impact didn't work either, so I drilled off the countersunk head of the screw, removed the reservoir cover, applied a couple drops of penetrating oil and after an overnight wait, I screwed the remnant of the screw out utilizing Vise-Grips.

I used another black anodized/Dacrotized flathead screw (non-stainless) and applied some anti-seize to the threads before refastening the cover.

The special screw drivers mentioned above are technically called JIS screwdrivers. Primarily we need the phillips type driver.

Only place I could find them at was McMaster-Carr. Went to 4 auto supply stores, Sears, Harbor Freight, Lowes & Home Depot, none had them

http://www.mcmaster.com/#jis-%28japanese-industrial-standard%29-screwdrivers/=d703y3

I got the 3 piece set for $26, plus a reasonable shipping amount. I had them in 2 days I think.

3-Piece Standard Screwdriver Set—Includes tip sizes #1, #2, and #3.

Per Set

53325A61$25.95

After using them, I don't know why I waited so long to get them. They have a much better grip on the screw than American standard phillips.

Gary

Gary,

You got me into action. I ordered the JIS screwdriver set. Thanks!

While I was trying to figure out why my new 83 venture wouldn't start a friend was trying to get the cap off the reservoir. I took the #2 Phillips, applied a little torque and hit it with a hammer. Worked great. I didn't have my impact driver with me at the time.

JIS s screwdrivers are the best to use on Japanese bikes, but they are not always easy to find.

Before i try to remove a phillips head screw, I try to see if I can tighten it a bit.

If the screw moves at all tightening, the screw will usually break free as I go to loosen it.

If it doesn't brake free, easily, I go for the impact driver right away so I don't damage the screw head. Don't know what it is with people that think tighter is better, then snap @#$%^&. When I was younger I thought tighter was better and got pretty good with extractors and left hand drill bits. LOL, when I think of the time I spent repairing stripped

screws and twisted off bolts.

I will send you 4 new screws for the front master cylinders on a 1st Gen for $6 including US & Canadian shipping.

Also will fit rear master cylinder. 6 of them for $8

These are made from 316 Stainless Steel which is very corrosion resistant. These are Flat Head Socket Cap Screws. A metric allen wrench is used to install.

Have used these for three years and they are great.

PM me.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/mastercoverscrews.jpghttp://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/MasterCover.jpg

Edited by dingy