IGNORED

Tingling Fingers - Handlebar/Grip Upgrade

First off, I'm sorry for the novel. I'll try to stay on point so nobody has to read my rambling.

I get tingly fingers in my right hand when I ride. I'll start by explaining my position when riding. I have all original equipment on my 06 RSTD as far as handlebars and grips are concerned. I have a Throttle Rocker installed. When I ride, my arms have a VERY slight bend at the elbow. I do have a driver backrest but I don't feel I use it to it's full potential because I feel like I have to stretch to reach the handlebars.

Here's what I've done... I just ordered a set of Flanders bars (yes, I ordered the correct one for the RSTD) and also Kuryakyn ISO grips with Kuryakyn Bullet End Weights. My thinking is that I am experiencing problems from stretching too far to reach the bars which is why I ordered the Flanders bars. I figured the ISO grips would be a little nicer on the hands than the narrower, stock grips. The end weights I ordered mainly because I don't have the tools (or the machanical ability) to fabricate my stock ends to work with both the ISO grips and the Flanders bars (although I know there are some that have done it with no issues). I haven't installed any of this stuff yet but I'll certainly let everone know when I do.

This is where I get concerned... Tonight I rode about 60 miles after work (it's a nice day in Mid-West Wisconsin so I thought a little trip around the block was called for) SORRY... STARTING TO RAMBLE!! Back on point - as I was riding a thought crossed my mind. What if it's my Throttle Rocker that is causing my problems?

Has anyone else ever had problems with the Throttle Rocker? I'm interested in everyones feedback on that and also any input you may have to reassure me that changing out my handlebars and grips is worth doing and something a mildly mechanical person like myself can accomplish. **Note - I did plan to just relocate the cables with the new bars. I didn't purchase the SS upgrade.** I read A LOT of posts about the bars and I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...:fingers-crossed-emo

Please provide any feedback you think my help/reassure me.

Thanks all,

Les

I don't have the throttle rocker but I do have the tingle/numbness in my right hand after riding a bit.

I always thought it was due to vibration in the bike that I was riding for the last 14 years. Imagine my surprise when I still had the problem with my new Venture.

A friend of mine had the same problem. His numbness also appeared when mowing the lawn. He recently had surgery to correct the issue. Basically they did carpal tunnel on his hand and they moved the nerved that goes around the backside of your elbow and down to your hand. They moved it from the back side of the elbow around to the side. Now he can ride for over an hour without a problem.

There is a group of nerves in your shoulder that can also cause these problems. Some stretching can help with the problem. Keeping the weight off the hands and arms helps too.

Good luck finding your fix.

Frank

I too have the tingle/numbness in both hands more in the right but still both. Dr says carpal tunnel and recommended surgury. I am told the surgury is simple and you recover quickly but I think I will be putting up with the tingles for a while yet.

Hello: If you feel like you are reaching for the handle bars? I would likely recommend the flanders bar upgrade. I am speaking from experience. I installed the bars and it made my RSTD much more comfortable for me. I also just slid a pair of grip puppies over the stock grips, much more comfortable grip. IMHO. Good luck finding the right combination. It takes awhile....

I also have the exact same problems tingling/numbness. Like you I believe it is the bars. I also have the back rest and also the throttle rocker. It is not the throttle rocker. I used mine on a different bike and it did not bother me at all. The bars are to far away. Unlike you, I still am waiting until the right money situation comes for me to do this. :mo money:How much where you out total and where did you get everything, if you do not mind? There is a good post here to help you.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37770 Perhaps you could also do a how to of your own, with plenty of pictures. Remember we do have rules here, there must be pictures.

Fuzzy

I also have the exact same problems tingling/numbness. Like you I believe it is the bars. I also have the back rest and also the throttle rocker. It is not the throttle rocker. I used mine on a different bike and it did not bother me at all. The bars are to far away. Unlike you, I still am waiting until the right money situation comes for me to do this. :mo money:How much where you out total and where did you get everything, if you do not mind? There is a good post here to help you.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37770 Perhaps you could also do a how to of your own, with plenty of pictures. Remember we do have rules here, there must be pictures.

Fuzzy

Flanders Bars - $127 (Amazon)

Kuryaky ISO Grips/End Weights - $104 (Hauck Power Sports - Rice Lake, WI)

Total - $231.00 (+ a little shipping from Amazon)

I get a little extra discount with Hauck because I bought a bike from them (and I'm really good at making sure they remember that!!). I will certainly post some pics. I want people to see the before and after. I really hope it turns out as wonderful as I think it will. I should get everything this week sometime so I hope to start the install by next weekend. :080402gudl_prv: to me.

For what it's worth, I would get muscle stiffness and sore in my neck and shoulder on the right side. I installed the Risers and just that little change made all the difference. As for the tingling, nope... don't have that ... but I do have the ISO grips which I really like. Next up ... a throttle rocker and maybe a backrest.

When I ride my 1st gen, I occasionally get tingling hands,, mostly just on the right. I find that relaxing my grip on the throttle helps big time,,, hence I have the throttle rocker. I could also lower my handle bars, (another reason to have a 1st gen), which I did,,,, and now the only time I tingle is when,,,,,,,, I can't remember that part anymore!!!1

I ran away from home a 3 weeks ago and rode the Ozarks for 6 days. My pointer finger on my right had is still tingling and slightly numb. I'm thinking I was gripping too tight in the twisties because the rest of the time I was on cruise control. Time to replace the original grips. Hope the feeling returns to normal, it's hard to write. I'm thinking Show Chrome grips for handlebars with weights. I saw that on here, wanna keep the weights to hold on to while on cruise.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?action=reviews&model_id=0&Category_ID=10&manufacturer_ID=66&product_ID=24242

I ran away from home a 3 weeks ago and rode the Ozarks for 6 days. My pointer finger on my right had is still tingling and slightly numb. I'm thinking I was gripping too tight in the twisties because the rest of the time I was on cruise control. Time to replace the original grips. Hope the feeling returns to normal, it's hard to write. I'm thinking Show Chrome grips for handlebars with weights. I saw that on here, wanna keep the weights to hold on to while on cruise.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?action=reviews&model_id=0&Category_ID=10&manufacturer_ID=66&product_ID=24242

Hope it does go away. My right hand went dead during Venture West IV while riding the Massey-Furgusen road out of Ft Hunter-Liggit in California. The feeling never came back like in the past. 6 months later they operated on the wrist for Carpal Tunnel, and didn't give me much hope that the feeling would ever return due to the damage to the nerve, but luckily it did. Good thing too. Ever try to pick up a quarter off the ground or zip up your fly with numb fingers.... Not fun. :whistling:

The tingling is caused by pressure. It is made worse by vibration, because vibration increases the pressure.

Mostly it is caused by the pressure on the soft edge of your hand between your little finger and wrist, but sometimes other places too.

The angle of contact between your hand and handlebars is critical. If you can adjust them so they are parallel with your knuckles, without bending your wrists it will help a lot.

Neoprene cushion grips and bar weights will both reduce vibration, and use the cruise control regularly, if only to give your right hand a break.

The lighter your grip, the less you will suffer. Also, a light grip on the bars will help if ever the front shakes it's head. Bikes right themselves way better than we can when we grab the bars in a death grip trying to keep control :)

I have this problem on my Vmax at highway speeds. The bike has no windshield, so my arms are getting extended and my grip gets tighter. On my old Goldwing where there is no wind pressure hence no arm extension I have no problem. Seems like new bars that lessen your arm extension should help.

Sync the Carbs. Will take a lot of this away.

I had my carbs sync'd at MD. I'm thinking with 15k km on the original front Bridgestone I'm getting vibration off the tire. When turning left there is a hum coming from the tire and the mirrors used to be solid but now can see vibration.

Also... still have the issue of the front end moving side to side (like a tank slapper) if I let off the handle bars and it coasts down to 60km/hr. I don't think the steering head needs to be tightened.... think it is related to the Bridgestones.

Edited by XV1100SE

had the tingling fingers that went to complete numbness when on a long ride. Especially if I couldnt set the cruz. Mostly in my right hand but ocationally on my left. Went ahead and gave in as riding was when it hurt the least( work made it hurt like someone was hitting it with a hammer everytime my heart beat by the end of the day).Now I can make it through the day with no pain but havent went back to work yet just things like mowing the yard and such that used to kill me( push mower and an acre of land).

I did get to ride almost 400 miles in one day on my b-day after I had the right hand done and before the left one was done. Not so much as a tingle much less numbness or pain. If yours is that far gone that it actually starts getting numband painfull I would advise getting checked for carpal tunnell syndrome at least. If surgerys not your thoughts then they have other treatments too.........good luck either ay

David

I'm glad this subject came up because it sounds like some of are experiencing the same thing and other than fellow riders... who do you talk to and find out it is more common that we thought.

We need a sticky for potential members to read on the benefits of membership :

- technical advice

- riding partners

- "family"/friends

- buying advice

- road side assistance

- travel advice

- psychiactric advice/help (a place to sound off frustrations)

.... and now medical advice

It is the grips that is making your hands tingle. I have changed every bike I owned over to the Kury Iso grips and it has always solved the problem. This year while demo riding bikes at Americade every bike I rode did this to my hand.

Flanders bars will eliminate the pain in the upper back that you get from reaching too far. I changed mine last year and rode 650 miles one day without any issues.

The items you ordered should do the trick. It did for me.:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for the replies everyone. My new bars are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow so I'm going to get started on them Saturday I think. I look forward to the experience. Hopefully I don't mess anything up. I'll be sure to post pics of the before and after when done.

I have the same problem and Doc says it's Carpal Tunnel. A friend of went under the knife and says it solved the problem. He can ride all day without any tingling. From what I've researched the only true way to solve the issue is through surgery.

George:080402gudl_prv:

I have come to the conclusion that grips are pretty much the same as seats in that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for the next. I bought a set of KuryAkyn ISO grips because I think they look great. I bought them used from Rick Butler. He warned me that he was selling them because they made his hands tingle and fall asleep. So, I bought them and installed them on my '99. I even installed the stock weights. I had the same problem with them as Rick did though. I put them on right before going to Vogel a few years ago and I wasn't 100 miles from home when I started noticing my fingers tingling. My hands bothered me that entire trip. I took them off immediately upon returning home. What works for me is a set of foam covered grips that were offered by Yamaha for the Road Star. They were a little long for the RSV but easily cut down to work. I went back to them after removing the KuryAkyns and all has been good ever since. Unfortunately, I think that Yamaha discontinued the grips that I have. If they ever wear out, I'll be looking for some more that are similar.

I have the same problem and Doc says it's Carpal Tunnel. A friend of went under the knife and says it solved the problem. He can ride all day without any tingling. From what I've researched the only true way to solve the issue is through surgery.

George:080402gudl_prv:

Couldn't agree with you more George. Tingling and fingers going to sleep are the first signs of Carpal, and it doesn't get any better, it'll only get worse. I kept fighting it til my right hand went to sleep and didn't wake up. I've had both wrists done and couldn't be happier. Now I can ride all day, and before I couldn't make it two blocks without having to shake the hands out.