IGNORED

Rear cylinders are dead

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 2009 Venture with only 1480 miles on it. It ran fine when I bought it but now the rear two cylinders do not seem to be getting any gas. I checked for spark and it has lots of spark. Compression seems good. I changed the spark plugs, checked all of my fuses. The bike fires up no problem, I let it run for about 15 mins but only the front cylinders get hot, the backs are cold. Any ideas? I purchased the bike on ebay from a dealer, not a yamaha dealer, in the States and shipped it to Canada so, I do not have a warranty. Before I take it to the dealer here and then have to see a proctologist, I wanted to get some ideas.

Brian

I don't have an RSV, but here goes...

The rear two cylinders have a distinct difference at one point from the front two cylinders in that they go through a wire harness connector marked as 'C'.

I don't know where this connector is at. It is a 3 pin connector, this is only circuits in it.

Here is a link to the wiring schematics for your bike.

99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture Wiring Diagram Rev B.pdf

Gary

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 2009 Venture with only 1480 miles on it. It ran fine when I bought it but now the rear two cylinders do not seem to be getting any gas. I checked for spark and it has lots of spark. Compression seems good. I changed the spark plugs, checked all of my fuses. The bike fires up no problem, I let it run for about 15 mins but only the front cylinders get hot, the backs are cold. Any ideas? I purchased the bike on ebay from a dealer, not a yamaha dealer, in the States and shipped it to Canada so, I do not have a warranty. Before I take it to the dealer here and then have to see a proctologist, I wanted to get some ideas.

Brian

You might NOT have warranty in Canada but you DO have warranty in the USA! My bike is 2006 USA bike when I bought it used and managed to get a ton of warranty work done on it before it expired in several places in the USA.. Yep, call a shop across the border with your VIN for them to verify it and you're in.. You do NOT have to be the original owner, the warranty is against the BIKE, not the owner..

Depending what you have wrong with the bike, taking a trip south might be worthwhile..

You stated you have spark to the rear cylinders but do you know if you're getting fuel?

Hi guys,

Brian

Sir,

No warranty?

I'm Confused why no warranty?

There have been many posts and folks who have transferred the warranty to the new owner when bike is less than 5 years from Original Purchase Date.

Does shipping to Canada void the warranty?

Any Yammie Dealers in Canada?

How far from US Boarder? Maybe fellow member can provide a temporary address you can use??

Keep us posted.... very interesting....:080402gudl_prv:

Sir,

No warranty?

I'm Confused why no warranty?

There have been many posts and folks who have transferred the warranty to the new owner when bike is less than 5 years from Original Purchase Date.

Does shipping to Canada void the warranty?

Any Yammie Dealers in Canada?

How far from US Boarder? Maybe fellow member can provide a temporary address you can use??

Keep us posted.... very interesting....:080402gudl_prv:

I called a Yammie dealer here in Ottawa and that is what they said, sorry you cannot transfer an US warranty to Canada.

Also, as far I as I can tell it is not getting any fuel, plugs are dry.

I don't have an RSV, but here goes...

The rear two cylinders have a distinct difference at one point from the front two cylinders in that they go through a wire harness connector marked as 'C'.

I don't know where this connector is at. It is a 3 pin connector, this is only circuits in it.

Here is a link to the wiring schematics for your bike.

99-09 Yamaha Royal Star Venture Wiring Diagram Rev B.pdf

Gary

Thanks for the info dingy,

I will try to look for it but it seems to be a needle in a hay stack. These Ventures are sure different from my Valkyrie. The Valks have all the connectors and fuses in one place not three like the Venture.

Thanks for the info dingy,

I will try to look for it but it seems to be a needle in a hay stack. These Ventures are sure different from my Valkyrie. The Valks have all the connectors and fuses in one place not three like the Venture.

This connector would only affect the firing of the plugs. If you could check plug fire after front end has heated up & verify, they are firing you could ignore this item.

If you are sure it is a fuel problem, this is probably not involved.

Sounds more like stuck floats.

Gary

Based on what I went through the other summer with my used 2006 Midnight Venture, I can lend you some information.. whether any of it will help, you'll have to apply it as it comes along..

(A) Fuel Filter clogged.. wouldn't feed fuel to the engine as the pump couldn't pull enough fuel through the filter without a lot of head pressure from a full tank of fuel.. Replaced fuel filter

(B) Fuel pump started acting weird.. quit then run.. quit then run.. then died just after a diagnostic in the shop and they didn't recheck which resulted in over $2000 worth of parts to replace everything but the kitchen sink.. Took it to a different shop and within 30 minutes the problem was diagnosed as a bad pump and replaced by a show floor model's pump.. NICE people, State College PA.. Fuel pump died due to working too hard against a clogged fuel pump. The fuel pump is required for the front cylinders, while the rear ones can be gravity fed. No fuel to the rear cylinders? Sounds like no fuel getting to it.

© After getting my valves done in TX last summer, the bike ran super fine until I got back up into Maine.. Backfiring off acceleration, COLD cylinder on start up.. the bike would start reasonably well and run OK on the highway but something was amiss.. COLD cylinder sucks.. not firing.. Luckily found a shop that did a quick check to see if the pilot valve was clogged on that cylinder and voila.. fixed.. just a chunk of something plugged it, depriving it of fuel at idle.. but the other jets would work fine at higher revs etc. There are little brass drain screws under each carb.. he pulled one of them off for the affected cylinder and it was dry.. a quick splash of fuel into it dislodged the particle and poof, the bike has been superb ever since.

Trying to find someone in your area who can take the carbs off might be tricky to have a look at them.. but ideally, as others have suggested, sounds like either a stuck float or blocked jet..

Please DO let us know what you find out when you get it fixed..

Cheers M8

Just for grins start it up and take the turning end of a screwdriver and tap on the carb bowls. If a float is stuck that might jar it loose, unless it has been sitting with gas in it since it was new it doesn't make sense that it would be clogged up. It also should run very bad missing 2 cylinders, they run decent on 3 and it can be hard to distinguish them with a dropped cylinder.

I have an update,

I had my cousin who is a car mechanic take a look and he says that when he pulled the wires off the left front cylinder and right rear cylinder the bike ran the same so, I guess it is those two cylinders that are not getting gas. He tried tapping on them to no avail. I will try the Seafoam and if that does not work then I guess I will set up an appt. with the dealer and a proctologist.

I will write back as to what the problem ends up being.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I brought the bike into a yammie dealer and had them clean all the carbs and re-sync them. It seemed to run fine when I picked it up but today I started it up and it is running like crap again. I got it up to running temp but it was still smoking and backfiring on deceleration and it seems to run on two cylinders until you get the rpm's up. The front cylinders are hot but I can put my hand on the rear cylinders without a problem. This is the first day that I could get out to run it. I drove for about 5 miles but it constantly ran like crap. I am bringing it back to the dealer to see what the problem is. I have never had so much problems with a bike. The carbs were really gummed up when I had them cleaned and the mechanic said the 3 out of the 4 carbs had the jets stuck closed, he had to use pliers to take them out. The bill ended up being $661. I also found out that there is a semi auto clutch installed in the bike. I don't like it at all. There is a very good chance I will sell the bike when I get it running right. I think I will go back to Honda. Never had any problems with my Hondas.

The right two cylinders were dead when I bought my used venture a couple of years ago. It turned out the right side carbs were gummed up and the idle jets were plugged so no fuel when the bike idled (cold cylinders). When I turned the throttle I could get the the cylinders to heat up. Maybe the dealer did not pull all the jets and clean them out good or just replace them while in there. Pulling the carbs is not too big a job. I would pull the carbs, clean and replace the jets. I think your bike sat too long and the gas probably turned into what looks like a brown laquer which clogs the jets. Honda or Yamaha will make no difference.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your bike. It seems unusual for a Venture. A 2009 with under 1500 miles shouldn't have carbs gummed up unless it got some bad gas. Which might have still been in the tank after the last repair. Especially since it has only been a month since the carbs were cleaned. Was a new filter installed? Check the fuel lines for deterioration. Something just doesn't sound right.

Mike

I am kinda wondering if you have a bad fuel pump or a pugged fuel filter.

Brian

Ps get the phone number of a Yammie dealer in the states and get them to transfer the warranty on the bike to you. The warranty is on the bike. Then if you have a big issue pop up you can take the bike down to a US dealer and get things handled. The US warranty isnt valid in Canada but if you take the bike into the states they will honour it.

Brian

Hi guys,

The fuel filter was changed and all the old gas that was in the tank was removed, tank cleaned and I have 94 octane in it with Seafoam. The dealer also put in new plugs. Could the fuel pump be totally gummed up as well and can it be taken apart and cleaned or do you have to get a new one? Could a coil be failing?

Brian

I brought the bike back to the dealer last night. I rode it there thinking maybe the long ride might help but at times it would hardly pull it's weight. At one point it was running on only one cylinder. Even when I got the revs up, it would only run on the front cylinders, the back ones were cold when I arrived at the dealer. I will keep you apprised of the problem.

The bike does ride beautifully, I hit some good bumps in the road last night and the bike handled them great.

Looked at an 06 Goldwing last night and the dealer may trade straight across plus $500, I am seriously thinking of it.

I also contacted a Yammie dealer in NY and he will do any warranty work that is needed, that's something on the positive side anyways.

Edited by bscrive
more info

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

The latest update is that the Yammie dealer has cleaned the carbs for the third time and it is still running bad. They are convinced that there is something wrong with the carbs and are determined to fix the problem. Last week they ordered all new needles, seats, floats, etc. and they said that if I cover the carb parts they will cover the labour. Pretty good deal I think. They have about 12 hours in the bike already and they still have to put everything in and synch the carbs. Hopefully the parts will be in tomorrow and I can have the bike for this weekend. Another plus is the dealer I bought the bike from in the States refunded me $450 for my troubles so I am not going to out much money, just time on the bike.

Have a good day everyone.

A 2009 with less then 1500 miles says one thing to me.This bike set around for a very long time with very old gas in the tank.these days gas is only good for about 60 days if that.I would bet your bike had the same tank of gas in it for months at a time or even longer.If you want to see what old gas will do just put a cup of gas in a jar and let it set in your garage for 6 months.It will look like varnish.Thats what was inside your carbs.Every part of your fuel system needs to be cleaned.

Brian,

I am going to be very honest here and some folks aren't going to like what I'm about to say. I dont know how much money I would put into that RSV. Your problems do not make any sense on a newer bike with low miles. If they took the carbs apart and totally cleaned them and inspected them the problem should have been solved. If it was me, and your comfortable with the foot position of the GW....I would make that trade for the wing as long as it checked out and rode/ran good. The RSV sounds to me like there is more issues with it and you could really get hammered with it :2cents:

Or it could be something really simple that everyone is overlooking. How about all the air ducting. Has that all been check and is open and free of mice nests etc?

P.S. I still like you Squid and I think you have a point as long as all the obvious stuff is good.