IGNORED

Rear cylinders are dead

Sure sorry to hear about all your problems. No matter how nice and hard working your dealer seems to be, I cannot help but assume the mechanic is incompetent. The problems you describe with your bike should be VERY easy to diagnose and fix - even in the unlikely event that there are several things wrong instead of just one. Wish you were closer so I could help.

As for just dumping the bike and buying something different - obviously that is your decision to make - just search your heart to try and be sure you will not always regret it if you decide to take something that is not what you really want. The Goldwing may be a great choice for you - but only you will know; if you think you are "settling" just because you couldn't find someone to fix the bike, it will haunt you the whole time you own it.

Goose

BTW - even if I personally loved the Goldwing (and I do not), I would think a 2006 wing straight across for a 2009 RSV would be egregious theft by the dealer, and charging another $500 on top of that jut blows my mind. Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure the wing lovers will disagree with me!

Edited by V7Goose

Sure sorry to hear about all your problems. No matter how nice and hard working your dealer seems to be, I cannot help but assume the mechanic is incompetent. The problems you describe with your bike should be VERY easy to diagnose and fix - even in the unlikely event that there are several things wrong instead of just one. Wish you were closer so I could help.

As for just dumping the bike and buying something different - obviously that is your decision to make - just search your heart to try and be sure you will not always regret it if you decide to take something that is not what you really want.

Goose

What V7Goose said.

This should be an easy fault to diagnose. By your description I would guess that the cylinders are not getting any fuel from the carbs. Your mechanic should check that before anything else since you state that there is sufficient spark.

Wish you all the best with this - I would not give up on the Venture - Not sure that your Honda dealer will give you the service and warranty Yamaha does :)

Have had two Honda´s 2005 VTX 1300 and 2006 and have to say that these are the crappiest bikes I have ever had. The gearbox cover for example is made of chromed ABS plastic and that bubbles up when the gearoil gets hot. You would not find that on a Yamaha. The front shocks were much to short and jammed together all the time. These were new bikes and the shocks were original and not faulty in any way. Just bad design.

I do know though that the Goldwings are very nice bikes and I have ridden one and liked it very much apart from the fairing not turning with the stearing. I would buy one if my user name wasn´t StarFan :). Love my Royal Star and intend to stick with Yamaha for their reliability and quality craftmanship. I would not judge the Yamaha/Venture by the problems you have with your bike since there are certain things owners have to watch out regarding general maintenance. My guess is that former owner did not follow general maintenance work like not storing the bike for a long time with fuel in the carbs. By your description I am pretty sure that this is a clog/fuel problem.

Wish you all the best with your bike and I am sure that if you get it into the hands of a good mechanic it will be fixed easily. Give the bike a change when it has been fixed and is working properly and then make up your mind regarding shifting to another bike. then you will have a true comparism :)

Friendly regards,

Jonas / StarFan

Hi Guys,

The bike is finally running good. The dealer had to replace all the needles and seats and a couple of floats. The extra cost for the parts was $165. Total cost was @ $826.

After some thought and my lack of confidence in the bike I decided to trade it on a 2006 Goldwing which has a lot more power and smoother ride. The Honda dealer gave me more than I have in the bike so I took the deal. When I loose confidence in any vehicle I get rid of it. I have always had good luck with Honda so I am going back.

Thanks for all your help guys.