IGNORED

SuperBowl National Anthem

RoadKill

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a couple of days ago that given who it was, there were bets on how many seconds tha song would last and there were bets on even how long the last word would last. It is a good thing she left out a verse, or the flyboys would have had to take another lap to match the end. I guess in some things I am a little too old fashioned. :doh:

RandyA

Yeah!! http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/images/smilies/puke.gif

And why is it that most of the "celebrities", they have sing the Anthem, have to see how many, dad gum, notes they can cram into 1 stinking measure. To them the Anthem is about them and how they can change it so they can out-do the other "stars" that sing it.

These stupid people make the thing totally un-singable for anyone in the crowd. I'm sorry but it's MY anthem too and I'd like to sing the thing.

Personally, I'd like to see sporting events just play a canned version of a band or orchestra playing the Anthem and have everyone in the stands sing the thing. Can you imagine how inspiring all those people singing would sound?

We've given the Anthem over to a handful of people, of dubious talent, who think they can do it better than everyone else. THAT IS WHY NOBODY KNOWS THE WORDS TO THE THING ANYMORE!!!!!

I wish the people in charge at sporting events etc., where the Anthem is done, would get a clue and stop using these idiots and start having the people who should be signing the Anthem sing the Anthem... ALL the American People!!

:soapbox:

I heard one of the country singers sing the whole thing once and it was nice, first time I had ever heard it sang in it's entirety.

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion

A home and a country should leave us no more?

Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,

Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land

Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I dont want to turn it political. But I believe there is only one way to sing it. I dont care if it is their way to express their artistic ability etc. I dont change the way I say the Lords Prayer, or The Pledge of Allegiance. Why would I change the performance of the National Anthem. I am disgusted. I know how I feel, and I can only imagine how our servicemen and women feel. I can only imagine how our veterans feel as well. I cant think of anything else that shows more disrespect to them on a daily basis. Heck you can go to a high school basketball game and kids do it as well. They think its perfectly ok.

I dont want to turn it political. But I believe there is only one way to sing it. I dont care if it is their way to express their artistic ability etc. I dont change the way I say the Lords Prayer, or The Pledge of Allegiance. Why would I change the performance of the National Anthem. I am disgusted. I know how I feel, and I can only imagine how our servicemen and women feel. I can only imagine how our veterans feel as well. I cant think of anything else that shows more disrespect to them on a daily basis. Heck you can go to a high school basketball game and kids do it as well. They think its perfectly ok.

Very well said!!

RandyA

The pledge of allegiance has been changed a half a dozen times since it was written.

My anthem; "From the Halls of Montezuma" and "if the Army and the Navy ever looked on Heaven's scenes; they would find the streets are guarded by United States Marined". HoooooooRaaaahhhhhh

And if a Marine ever looked at his paycheck, he would find he worked for the Department of Navy.

I am an avid hockey fan (Go Flyers!). My wife would say NUT, not fan. Anyway, I watch ALOT of games with the sports package she buys for me every year. I have noticed that at games being played in Canada, I have NEVER once, EVER, seen anyone, including celebrities, sing O, Canada with their own little "twist" to it. I think if one of them ever tried, our friends from the north wouldn't let them out of the building! Now that's patriotism! I also noticed that alot, maybe even most, of the the fans in attendance actually sing along, and the ones that don't, at least remain silent. I don't see that at most Flyers games anymore. People won't even be quiet for the anthem, let alone sing along. Also, when I watch the games on TV, most of the time, they don't even air the singing of the national anthems! I guess it's not PC to be patriotic in America anymore... sad. Good on ya' to our friends in the Great White North!

Don from Harrisburg, PA.

And if a Marine ever looked at his paycheck, he would find he worked for the Department of Navy.

When the Marines learn how to walk on water, Squids are outta work. It is the "Department of the Navy", too! Not really the best department, but a department never the less.

Christina Aguilera performs the National Anthem at the Superbowl football game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Green Bay Packers in Arlington, Texas, on Feb. 6. and she suck's and just think she got paid for that :doh:

Edited by Al Bates

Look at history and you will see that the Navy & the USMC were both founded in November 1775.

The reason that the Navy writes the marines checks is that we don't need no stinkin' pencil pushin' accountants.

Along the same lines, there are no Marine Chaplain's or Doctors, we do need them, but they have an aversion to shooting people.

Gary