IGNORED

how long has it been....

Guest Swifty

....since you got lucky?

She sits across the room from me for the last month lookin all stylish and sexy...

...and today I finally got to "plug her hole." It went in surprisingly smooth....

I've noticed this since the first time I stripped the bike; have other 1st gen owners seen this...?

When installing the 2 rear fender liners, the tabs at the back of the gas tank are not properly situated if you want the 2 liners to meet at the top of the arc the way it looks like it was designed.

1st pic shows the fender sitting in the gas tank tabs,

2nd pic shows the resultant gap at the top where the forward and aft liners meet

3rd pic if I close the gap at the top, then

4th pic the tab holes end up empty because the gas tank tabs are far too low to reach.

...anybody notice this? Is it just lack of Lexus quality fit and finish? OR is it the shrinkage effect that results due to long term warp speed?

I think its the 85's ability to travel at warp speed affects the plastics at a different speed than the metal parts. Thats also why the fairings start to rattle after a while even when we tightnen them up from time to time. They do call it warp speed for a reason,,,,it warps the plastic parts....:whistling:

If youre needing any parts for your 85 let me know, i may have it. i think i have to downsize my stash a bit.

Brian

I've noticed this since the first time I stripped the bike; have other 1st gen owners seen this...?

When installing the 2 rear fender liners, the tabs at the back of the gas tank are not properly situated if you want the 2 liners to meet at the top of the arc the way it looks like it was designed.

1st pic shows the fender sitting in the gas tank tabs,

2nd pic shows the resultant gap at the top where the forward and aft liners meet

3rd pic if I close the gap at the top, then

4th pic the tab holes end up empty because the gas tank tabs are far too low to reach.

...anybody notice this? Is it just lack of Lexus quality fit and finish? OR is it the shrinkage effect that results due to long term warp speed?

This may be the reason my rear fender has been slightly crooked all summer. It is tilted to one side enough to be annoying for the HD guys I ride with. They see that view most of the time. Not just because I am that much faster, it's just quieter when I ride in front.

Gary

Maybe it just does not sit straight because of all that rust on it. Sheesh I thought you were cleaning it before putting it back together :rotf:

Brad

that's just lookin at it through the lens of my super duper telephoto camera. I always put the bike back together without my glasses on...things always look better that way....

that's just lookin at it through the lens of my super duper telephoto camera. I always put the bike back together without my glasses on...things always look better that way....

No ! I was referring to the brown pieces with some black on them, behind the plastic. :rotf:

Brad