IGNORED

no seafoam any other ideas?

oldgoat

well the bike is put away for the winter. and i went out today to find some seafoam to put in for the winter. i been every where from napa to o,rileys none on the shelves. but napa said they had a sister store 40 miles up the road and thay have a case of it. i then asked if they could have them send down a few cans? only need one but thought i would be nice and get 2 just for the hassle of them sending them to this store. the man said no but if you order the whole case we can do it? 12 cans at $8.50 per can?

i politely left mubbling under my breath.. so question is?

any other additive i can add? i once tried stabil in a motorcyle once and my carbs gummed up. STP any good?

or just add carb cleaned to the tank? and let sit? i will not do anything till i figure it out.

also since i now clean the storage office on weekends. yep got a little part time job. i clean and get free storage. and around 30 bucks for gas. thats my pay. so i thought hey would it hurt the bike to start it every weekend and just let it warm up for 15 or so minutes? then shut it down? this should keep the carbs in good working order. but still have some aditive in the tank..

James,

You could use Berrymans B12 Chemtool also, Seafoam has priced themselves out of my wallet @ $10 a can. B12 is about $4 so thats what I use now, actually been using it for years.

I buy SeaFoam at $6.90 per can here in NC. I heard the price may go up so I bought twelve cans.

:farmer:

so i thought hey would it hurt the bike to start it every weekend and just let it warm up for 15 or so minutes? then shut it down? this should keep the carbs in good working order. but still have some aditive in the tank..

YES, it WILL hurt the bike. Much better to leave it shut down and in storage (make sure you take it out one last time to heat the oil completely and get that Seafoamed gas through the carbs, then fog the cylinders when you put it away).

The problem with starting it and running it for a short time is that the oil never gets hot enough to burn off the moisture and acids. Even if you let it idle until the fan comes on, the oil is NOT NOT NOT hot enough. It takes about 30 minutes of real riding (meaning a load on the engine) to get the internals of the engine and the oil up near 200 degrees - just because the coolant is up to that temp does NOT mean the oil is.

Goose

well the bike is put away for the winter. and i went out today to find some seafoam to put in for the winter. i been every where from napa to o,rileys none on the shelves. but napa said they had a sister store 40 miles up the road and thay have a case of it. i then asked if they could have them send down a few cans? only need one but thought i would be nice and get 2 just for the hassle of them sending them to this store. the man said no but if you order the whole case we can do it? 12 cans at $8.50 per can?

i politely left mubbling under my breath.. so question is?

any other additive i can add? i once tried stabil in a motorcyle once and my carbs gummed up. STP any good?

or just add carb cleaned to the tank? and let sit? i will not do anything till i figure it out.

also since i now clean the storage office on weekends. yep got a little part time job. i clean and get free storage. and around 30 bucks for gas. thats my pay. so i thought hey would it hurt the bike to start it every weekend and just let it warm up for 15 or so minutes? then shut it down? this should keep the carbs in good working order. but still have some aditive in the tank..

JC Whitney...............or Tractor Supply or a Farm and Fleet

If you are using seafoam as a fuel stabilizer, get Stabil Ethanol formula. If you are using seafoam as a fuel system cleaner, use Camp Fuel.

I know this has been addressed before but I am still confused. I did buy a gallon of Camp Fuel (have many engines to deal with). Can I do any harm to my bike or other motors if I add straight Camp Fuel without mixing it with other products? Right now, my carbs on my 2 stroke snowmobile need to be treated or cleaned.

I know this has been addressed before but I am still confused. I did buy a gallon of Camp Fuel (have many engines to deal with). Can I do any harm to my bike or other motors if I add straight Camp Fuel without mixing it with other products? Right now, my carbs on my 2 stroke snowmobile need to be treated or cleaned.

Evan, I do not believe anybody knows the answer to your question. There are two main issues that I would think about before doing it.

First, Seafoam is only about 50% naphtha, and we have no idea if the other components do anything to moderate the affects of the naphtha on things like rubber parts. Note here that we also do not know what affect straight naphtha has on various types of rubber at all - When I was researching the problems associated with carburetor cleaners, I found at least 20 different rubber compounds that are used for o-rings, and there was no single type that was safe with all the various carb cleaning compounds. I have not tried to research naphtha on rubber o-rings. But personally I would be very cautious of using straight naphtha at anything above 50% the maximum label dose shown on Seafoam (50% will equal the actual naphtha concentration you get from Seafoam at max dose).

Secondly, "naphtha" is a generic term for a certain type of solvent, and all naphthas or camp fuels are NOT the identical compound. That means trying to guess at either the safety or efficacy of using straight naphtha is kinda like a wild crap shoot. Personally I would not do it, nor do I think it is wise for some people to recommend it. But in the end, they are your engines! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I just wanted to add here that in the past I have suggested that someone with really badly fouled carbs who did not want to go to all the effort to pull them and do a proper cleaning could try to shoot straight spray carb cleaner into the fuel line to fill the carbs and let it let it soak that way. We now have a case where someone took that advice, and it seems that a particular brand of carb cleaner (STP) ate his o-rings pretty badly. My bad assumption was that any commercial carb cleaner would be safe to use in a carb. I have since noted that at least one of them carries a label warning to not spray below the throttle plate unless the engine is running - I guess that seems like a pretty clear warning that it can do bad stuff? Needless to day, I am no longer going to advise that technique, even with the brand of carb cleaner that I have found to be fairly safe (Gumout).

In addition, I have found several different bikes where the pilot jets were fully and partially clogged, and they took being completely submerged in straight spray cleaner for several hours and at least five different attempts to blow them out with compressed air to finally get them totally clear. This emphasizes to me how hard it is to clear clogged jets and the general futility of attempting that with just putting solvents into the carbs.

Edited by V7Goose
Added experience and caution

I would NOT put it in pure to run the motor on for more that about one minute.

BUT I would fill the carb and try to start it on camp fuel if I had an carb that sat for a LONG time to clean it.

I would NOT run the engine very long on camp fuel as it will smoke like crazy and it will probably run to hot.....

I wold fill the carb with camp fuel, let it sit overnight to soften any gunk, drain the carb using by removing the bowl and wiping it out, reasonable then fill with fresh gasoline and run the engine.

Does anyone know if it true that pouring pepsi in the carbs of a running engine will clean them up pretty good.

I have heard some people did this many years ago, but not sure if there is any truth to it. ?

Brad

As long as you don't mix Gin with the pepsi !:yikes:

Cause that could create a real bad wobble in the steering.:beer: