IGNORED

Prayers needed for my Father

saddlebum

Early Wed morning Dad stopped breathing and would not wake up, they had to rush him to emergency ICU. He went into a sort of coma and was hooked up to life support and breathing machine because His lungs were not working, Due to a lung infection. The Doctors took us into a conference were they explained how serious his condition was and gave him a 50% chance of pulling through. Late wed. Night he opened his eyes again and was able to recognize us. They then gave him a sedative to keep him calm. I stayed in his room all night and for the most part he slept. Whenever he did wake up, he would look at me and wink then he would hold my hand and keep squeezing it. So far he is hanging in there. The infection of one of the incisions was very bad and they are working very hard to clean it up. Apparently this is still of a major concern since they cannot go in surgically to attack it. Also his lungs have a lot of fluid in them and for that reason he has to stay on the breathing machine which they are hoping to remove sat or sun. With luck he will breathe on his own but if not they may have to put a trachea tube in him to help him breathe.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little better news today. They took the breathing tube out of him today and he is able to breath on his own, with the help of an oxygen mask. they also did a catscan and even though the infection is still bad it apears to be contained in a confined area. He also tried talking today but his voice is not working properly, most likly because of having a tube in his throat and it may take a little bit of time before he gets his voice back

Thur nov 11 Rememberance day and an old soldiar is again fighting for his life.

For some reason tues night he was moved back into the ward and on top of that they failed to hook him up to his antibiotic IV until nine hours later. When my brother questioned the nurse the why they were not hooking him up, she kind of swore under her breath and then told him they had to wait for the doctors reassement in the morning. Then when he approached the head nurse the next day the head nurse showed my brother the log which stated he was on the IV all along. At this point my brother informed her that he was there and that there was not even a pole in the room until past noon the following day. Late wed afternoon Dad stopped breathing again and was Rushed back into ICU were is again stable. Through all this he is still fighting a bad infection and pnuemonia. to say the least its being a real roller coaster ride, and with me also having a touch of pnuemonia I have not seen him in almost a week which makes things real hard.

Fri nov 12

they had to put a breathing tube in him again because he is too weak to breath on his own. His white blood cell count is coming down again, this is a good thing it means the antibiotics are helping. Mentally ( when he is not sedated ) he is doing a little bit better. They have to sedate him because if they do not, he will not sleep and then he gets restless and tries to pull out his tubes. I still have pneumonia so I am not allowed in the hospital, but I talk to my Mon and Brothers everyday. It is very hard not being allowed to see him and hope to get better as soon as possible so I can again start visiting him.

Edited by saddlebum

Monday the doctors removed the breathing tube from my father, to see how well he can breath on his own. Tues morning I knew my Mother would be at the hospital, and so I called the ICU unit who patched me through to my Mother in My Fathers room. While talking to her she held the phone for my Father and we actually had a clear conversation. Dad is far from being out of the woods yet, but being able to actually converse with him sure goes a long way to boosting your hopes and beliefs that he will pull through this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Dad has been sliping backwards since I last posted. On the good side his red blood count has gone up and his white blood count has gone down. at one point his red blood count was so low they had to give him a transfusion.

On the bad side his breathing is so weak that yesterday they inserted a treachia tube to help with his breathing. The ventilating tube they were using has apparently been used to its limit, with regards to running the risk of additionl bacteria being introduced. As well he has apparently gotten quite adapt at using his tongue to push it out. Mentally he drifts in and out largly I believe because he does not sleep and is exhausted. Apparently they have also run the limit as to how much they can sedate him and sleeping pills have no effect.

Hello everyone.

Well, Things are not going so well for Dad, He is very weak and has a hard time breathing. On Fri he went back into surgery and they put a treachia tube in him (I had mentioned in an earlier post that this was already done but I found out later that they postponed it, several times as a matter of fact, something about trying to squeeze him in between other surgarys). Apparently having the ventilator for too long is not good or so we have been told. The treachia tube also allows the nurses to be able to hook him up for breathing quicker when he needs it and take him off when he does not need it. they are again tube feeding him because he is too weak to eat. He is still fighting both the lung infection and the infection at the surgery site.

Today I talked to my Mother and she is starting to feel the strain and having a hard time with all this, she is very afraid that Dad may not make it through all this. For myself I still have not been able to go in and see Him. I just finished taking a third type of antibiotic and this time they seem to be working. I really hope so because even though I get information from my brothers and my Mom, it is still not the same as if I was able to see him.

I continue to thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. I have told my mother about you all and she thanks all of you as well and wishes you all a Merry Christmas

Ben Bennink