IGNORED

New guy looking at possibly getting a Venture.

Humbucker

Hi from Atlantic Canada! Moncton, New Brunswick actually.:D

I currently own a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic and would like to move up to a full-on touring bike for my wife and I by next summer. I've tried out various Harley touring bikes and find them quite nice but I've seen so many used late model Royal Star Ventures going pretty cheap, it's hard not to take these into consideration too.

I've never had the opportunity to try one out for myself, so I'm trying to get as much info on the internet as I can find. Looks like a lot of bike for the money.

I don't know if I'd go the Goldwing route, so the Venture might be the bike for me. It seems like a bike that falls somewhere between an UltraGlide and a Goldwing?

Even though the Venture is only a five speed, when cruising down the highway, it doesn't cause buzzing at the handgrips or floorboards does it?

Are there any negatives in dealing with the four carbs, rather then modern fuel injection?

How are the brakes? Most modern large-sized touring bikes now have ABS or offer it as an option, does this cause you any concerns as it's such a big, heavy bike?

Any input from you Venture owners would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:thumbsup2:

The best advice I can give you is to get on one and try it out, see how it fits you and your wife.

It feels a tad top heavy at first....but that quickly goes away. There are no vibrations at the handlebars when you drive it like a V-4 wants to/should be ridden...don't be afraid to rev it, it's very much unlike a twin. Give it the revs, it's electronically limited, so don't worry about the motor.

The brakes work fine for me, I'm on my second royal star, and both have over 100,000 k's on them. The first is a 96 plain jane royal star, not a venture.

Carbs are just that, carbs. You can work on them yourself if need be, there is information here up the wazooh on how, when, and why. Keep them clean, and you'll have no issues. Seafoam works wonders.

Vibrations in the floorboards? Non-existent pretty much, once again, keep the revs up.

In my humble opinion, this is the most bang for the buck....dollar for dollar, the best deal out there on a fully dressed touring model bike. All kinds of accessories available, good on fuel, it actually looks like a bike, and it's pretty much bullet proof. Some of them do have a whine to them because of the square cut gears...but there are fixes for most of them as well...(new clutch basket, can be had under warranty)

That's my two cents.....:stickpoke:

gunk:smile5:

welcome Humbucker,you just opened up a can of worms.But thats ok because your about to embark on a journey that will fully enlighten you to the wonderful world of the "RSV" a world full of opions,facts and fabel.I promise you you will learn more about the "RSV" then you may want to know:confused: :crackup::crackup::crackup:

OK with that said,I got my rsv about 3 months ago.the wife and I love it.I sometimes think she more then me. but thats ok.before this bike i owned a vulcan 900,had to beg her to ride with me.now I can't keep her off of it...Should have keep the 900:innocent: But really it's a great bike,some what old school but very smooth and very reliable and lots of HP.

injoy the ride:thumbsup2:

I would agree with Gunkylump said. I came off V Star 1100 and at first the Venture was very top heavy but with time on the bike its not a problem for me. Mine does have the whine but I just live with it becasuse I like the bike so much. I just got back from a 2100 mile trip over 5 days and that sold me even more on the bike.

Guest scarylarry

If it was me, I was test ride the GW and the venture, HD's are good but I found to much wrong with them to consider, like the cost, air cool, and the cost of repairs and if you do your own repair how much parts are...

The GW is a nice bike but the postion I sat I didn't like, this is a personal choice.

The Venture I felt it more leg friendly so I went with that...I did take my time shopping and I did leave the stealer eat lunch drink a beer then go home and think about...

If you wake up and don't have a 2nd thought then that is the one..

GW and Venture are pretty much bullet proof from what I read..

I got mine last year, it's a 2000 and had 15,500 miles on it. I got it for a good price, shop around there are ones out there with really low miles on them for cheap. Before I got mine I was going to look at a 99 for $5000.00 with 8000 miles on it. I was 5 min short on my phone call and some one else got it. :bawling: But I love my venture, it kicks the sh-t out of my brother-in-laws new harley all day long. :stickpoke: I don't even know the wife is one the back cause she sits far enough back that I don't feel like I'm giving her a piggy back ride like it does on smaller bikes. It did take me a bit to get used to the top heavy feeling of the bike but now I can coner with the best of them. The power is crazy out of that V4. The venture is every thing I've ever wanted in a bike. :bowdown::bowdown::173:

I traded in my V-Star 1100 for the Royal Star TD because I know that the engine and bike will last me a good long time. I was worried about the Harley's as I don't want to be forking out money left and right for repairs. Putting 20,000 km per year on a Harley just seems wrong... Do any Harley-rides do that? I thought they were for riding two-three blocks to the local Tim Hortons and back... But seriously, the V-4 engine feels like it will last forever. I am actually happy to see my odometer go up, instead of get worried like the Vstar.

The V-4 is, as you probably read, very smooth. Zero shaking/rumbling. Like butter. But it also has an instant and very responsive throttle too. This bike will do as told on command. I like that a lot. It is something to get use to riding and shifting with higher rev's, but its fun when you get use to it. And you won't ever need more than 5 gears - believe that. Which is good, because I would get lost with knowing what gear I am in with a 6 speeder vtwin. I know what gear i'm in with the royal star at all times.

The only downside to this bike you may find is the gear whine. But this is just a personal thing. If you like to have a whisper quite ride with stock pipes, then you will have to do a judgement call on it. If you like a little bit of noise from the pipes and listen to music, you won't even think about it.

How was the CFL game in Moncton by the way?

I bought my 99 in June after several years of looking and trying out other bikes. My biggest issue was will it carry my wife and I comfortably (we are both large folks) after 6000 miles I would give it a resounding thumbs up. 1500 miles in a weekend is no big deal on it.

It all comes down to how well you like it, try out any you might be intersted in and go from there.

Here is a article I looked at when the 2nd gens came out that might interest you.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/touring_motorcycles_comparison/index.html

I bought my 05 RSV 3 years ago. Like the others said, it is top heavy and has the gear whine. But you get use to it weight and this puppy is really smooth. Just concentrate on stopping and starting straight especially until it becomes second nature. My wife and if try to take at least one or two trips a year (wish we could do more). First night we were out riding she dozed off she was so comfortable.

For a Harley story.... last Wednesday an older guy on a Harley pulled up beside me at the gas pump and inquired about my bike... particular the size of the engine. After he learned that it was 1300 cc he immediately boasted about the cc size of his Harley. My response? Go ahead and pull that hog up beside my RSV. I got a hundred dollar bill that says you won't see anything buy my tail lights and smell my exhaust! Funny, he did not take me up on that one.

You may read on this site about folks running their bike up to 95 or 100 in third gear and getting there really quick without the rev limiter kicking in. They don't lie. These bikes are plenty quick and makes tons of power making the touring experience quite pleasurable.

I took my bike on a test drive at the Yamaha dealer before I purchased it. After a few miles I came back and picked up my wife for a spin. She was quite amazed when she saw our speedo sitting on 80 and the ride was so smooth... not at all like the previous cruizer we had.

These bikes are a lot of "bang" for the buck.

I picked up my 09 two and a half months ago and you can't beat the Venture. Could list all the specs but couple things made my decision for me :

1) my 99 Virago 1100 has been bullit proof as far as the motor

2) Virago shaft drive has been smooth riding and little maintenance

3) wanted a liquid cooled motor for long distance hot condition riding (planning to tour)

4) didn't like the Harley because of the vibration and shaking at stops

5) Gold Wing riding position didn't suit me and prefer the fairing moving with the forks

6) warranty - 5 years.

Granted the bike feels heavy when you first start riding at slow speeds but after a couple months (and 5500km) it feels "light" now. Recommend the "Ride Like a Pro" video - that was the turning point for me.

As for accelleration... other than maybe the 1st Gens... the 2nd Gen Venture will leave other bikes behind.

Fith gear is an over drive and as has been said, you won't be using it until you are over 100k/h.

When I was looking for the Venture I set my model year range to 2008-2009. The Venture comes with a 5 year warranty (see if any other bike offers that... you won't find one). My bike is used but the original owner only bought it this past March so my warranty goes to March 2015.

One thing to consider about the warranty... Canadian bike warranty is good in Canada. I had considered a bike that had come from the U.S. but the warranty doesn't cross the boarder. I would have had to buy a Canadian warranty. If you have an issue with a Canadian bike while travelling in the States, all you have to do is get the work pre-approved and submit the invoice to Yamaha Canada

The current model hasn't changed since it was introduced in '99 so it has survived the test of time. Any known issues you'll find listed on this site but that boils down to really only two things. There can be a whine from the clutch basket because Yamaha used straight splines. At certain rpm you might notice it but it is NOT a mechanical problem.

The other issue is that it still comes with a cassette player. I've never used mine but consider that the bike has an intercom system, am/fm radio, cb radio, and an input connector. CB is great for group rides.

You won't be disappointed !

I came off a Nomad 12,000 miles ago. Beats it hands down.

You'll love the Cruise. My wife says it's the best bike we owned.

It is top heavy and you need to build confidence.

For the $ it can be beat.

Very smooth, good power up high where it counts imo.

I'm considering the new HD Road Glide but I'm a tad slow yaa know!:think::think::think::smile5:

For those of us that live on Dirt or Sand roads (like my crappy road in florida) with the venture having a low seat height, fat tires front and back, I can ride even when the sugar sand is 7-8" deep. I couldn't go anywhere on my ST1300 when the road was alittle dry. I love the Venture, the wife likes it, the V-4 is superb. 4-500 miles on a Saturday just goofin off is easy to do.

Later Vern

Hey there:

I sold my 84 gold wing last year and purchased a 01 RSV. I do some tripping with a cousin who has a 08 gold wing.

It is an individual choice of course but I very much prefer my RSV over his "tank". I have ridden my 84, a 95 and the 08 Gold Wings but I find the seating on the RSV better than the tanks.

The styling, ride, handling is totally different between the wings and the rsvs and for the money I have no trouble recommending the rsv.

Of course it does not have all the bells and whistles that the tanks do but for the price it is awful tough to beat the RSV; and there are lots of options that you can add to it.

Good luck with your decision and good riding.

Jinx

If looking at a US bike that still has warranty, as mentioned it is not honoured in Canada, but there is not much to worry about.

Shock, ignition switch and CB unit have issues but you could always drive across the border for a couple days vacation, for the repairs. Other issues are so minor not worth bringing to the dealer.

Test ride on and then decide. Good luck with what ever you choose

BRad

Welcome to the forum Humbucker. You might find the Venture History an interesting read. (Top line, third item from the left.) It is about seven pages or so of interesting information on the Ventures. There is also an earlier thread on known problems with the second gen RSV that might be helpful. Don't let anything there scare you off. Every bike has known issues, this forum is just honest enough to get a list together. Really nothing that is a deal breaker for most people.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067

Good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:

Mel

Do you get the feeling that the Venture riders are a little bit biased toward their bikes...:whistling: With good cause I may add. I've had my 02 Midnight since August of 07 and couldn't be more happier, I did have issues with the weight of the bike at low parking lot speeds and addmittedly did slightly, kinda, sorta drop it a couple of times. That doesn't happen that much anymore.....touch wood....and we have got a couple of long trips under our belt with no problems. I just got back from a 9564 km run to Colorado and the Southern states with no problems till the last day when my battery died, I found out that it was the original...8 yrs old...so I did really well with it.

You would love the Venture, there is so much help and information on this site and the people are some of the best you could ever meet....get down to Freebirds Maint day.... you'll see what I mean, its a blast.:thumbsup2:

My advice, get on it, ride it, buy it, you won't be disapointed. :080402gudl_prv:

Ian

phertwo:

The CFL game was a HUGE hit here, I wasn't there but it sure did draw a crowd. They're talking about doing it again next year.

etcswjoe:

I'm relieved that you said that the Venture could carry a couple of bigger folks, I had read a review where they compared the Venture against a new Kawasaki Voyager, Harley Ultra Glide and a Victory Vision I believe and they said that the Kawasaki Voyager only had a carrying capacity of appx. 375 pounds, and the Venture was a little bit better at 395 pounds. or there abouts. Apparently, the other bikes could carry more weight, the Victory Vision might have been the best in the bunch, I can't remember.

This concerned me since my wife and I together would probably be a little bit over 400 pounds, and that doesn't even include luggage. Apparently, the new Goldwing hasn't got a good carrying capacity either since the bike itself is so heavy right out of the gate without people sitting on top of it.

Obviously, the carrying capacity is a bit conservative and they can do better then indicated in the specs.

Hopefully, I'll get to try one out for myself. There's a big motorcycle superstore in our area and they sell Yamaha. They have at least five Ventures on the floor of which four are used bikes. I'm sure that I could take one out for a spin if I ask them. They know me there as I go in often to look at all of their bikes.

They have a brand new, left-over 2009 Venture in 2-tone red and black for $18,499.00 (Canadian), I'm not sure if that's a super price or not. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking that if I could score a lightly used Venture at a bargain basement price (like I've seen in the past on Kijiji), I'd save so much money compared to buying a new Harley ElectraGlide, that with the money that I save, I could probably buy a second bike, maybe even an older Harley Softail, if I really want to get a Harley in my stable.

Thanks to everybody for chiming in here and helping me sort through this decision process, it's kind of hard to settle on one bike when there are so many good bikes to be had these days. Talk about option anxiety!:confused07:

But that Venture is definately something that I have to take out for a spin and see for myself what it's all about. I want something reliable and capable of taking two people out on an extended trip and not feel all beat up when you get there. The Venture has got to have more personality then a Goldwing, so that might be the best all around bike for me.

Please add anymore feedback, I'm loving it!:happy34:

Me and my wife combined come in around 460lb.I can't tell the difference between 1 up and 2 up when it comes to power.By the time i get into 3rd gear were doing 60mph in only a few seconds.If you check out the pic's gallery here you will see bikes loaded with gear in places you wouldn't expext to see.Also pulling trailers loaded to the gills,with trailer over loaded and two over loaded americans on top.(we like to meet and eat):crackup:What I,m saying is nothing stops this bike from proforming:bowdown:Yes it can be a hand full with all that weight but it only takes practice and a little time to learn how to handle it.Once you get that down it is a blast to ride.

OH,almost forgot,check out our calssifieds here,some very nice bikes for sale by folks that know and love there bikes.Some folks selling because thier down on the thier luck right now.You could find a great bike and help someone out at the same time,and you'll know the history of the bike.Good luck finding the right ride.

steamer said:

"I can't tell the difference between 1 up and 2 up when it comes to power.By the time i get into 3rd gear were doing 60mph in only a few seconds."

It's great that the bike has that much power that you don't notice the extra load.

I was out today with with my wife on the back of my Vulcan 1600 Classic and I'm not at all impressed with the way the bike is performing. I find that it's shy on power when taking off from a stop, it's okay without a passenger but I don't always ride solo.

I would have thought that a big V-twin like this 1600cc would have more then enough grunt to haul two people but I'm underwhelmed to be honest. I thought that one thing that a big V-twin offered was stump-pulling torque, I'm not really seeing this when I'm hauling a passenger and I'm leaving a stop sign.

Basically the bike seems shy on power overall. BTW, I took out some new Harley touring bikes this summer at their demo days and they seemed to be a lot more peppy then my Kawasaki but the Harleys have the same basic cubic inches. Maybe I'm losing some power through my shaft drive? Or maybe it's the way that the gears are set up? I'm not sure but the Harleys felt more powerful.

Another things that my Vulcan 1600 Classic is lacking are really good brakes, comfortable seats and plusher suspension. Yeah, it's definately a cruiser and not a real tourer, this is really apparent to me now.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a bike specifically geared for two-up touring, the 1600 Classic just isn't cutting it for me anymore.

If you think the Harley you rode has enough power the Venture will be a rocket ship ride!

Just keep the revs in the upper range.

I have owned Harleys before and recently took the full range of 2010 big harley's out during Laconia Demo rides to see if they have improved. Nice rides, but other than the VRod, (and maybe Screaming Eagle which I couldn't ride that day) pretty much gutless wonders in the engine dept.

When you test ride one ride it like you stole it!!!! don't ride it like a V-twin you will lug the motor down these V-4's Love the high RPMs!!!!!You can not hurt these motors.. Heck you can reach 70MPH in second gear :cool17:

Other than the GL1800 Wing these XVZ V-4 motors will blow away the V-twins & Touring bikes!!!! Remember these are the detuned V-Max motors better know by Harley riders as the Bullet proof motor!!!

They call them bullet proof for a reason!!!..........Remember that:thumbsup2:

Thanks for your post buddy, I'll remember that whenever I get a chance to take one of these out for a demo ride!:D

Grislom1:

It's nice to get your perspective, being a former Harley owner and all, that speaks volumes! While I like Harleys overall, I'm starting to have doubts about their touring line and that's because of the engine. After giving it a lot of thought, I don't think that a V-twin is the way to go for a touring bike.

I noticed how a lot of those guys do various things to their bikes in order to squeeze a bit more power out of those V-twins and I think that it's a losing battle with the heat and everything.

It would be a hoot to be able to jump on a Venture right after having taken out a Harley touring bike just to compare.

What do you think of a sticker price of $18,500 CAD ( $18,088.93 USD) for a leftover 2009 Venture in black & red? Our local Yamaha dealer has one sitting on their showroom floor. Maybe they'd go even lower in another month or two, I'll keep an eye on this but I was just wondering how this price compares to other regions.

This is where I started too. My wife and I started looking in November last year and finally found what we wanted in May. We sat on everything we could find HDs, Wings, Valkyrie,and the Venture was the most comfortable for the two of us. We are both large and everything else seamed cramped. We picked up the bike out of state and drive it home, the only issue is it gets up to 80 mph very fast if you don't watch it. We have gone on two long trips and are very happy with it. I have not had any mechanical problems, I think we have but 6000 miles on it this year.

Joel