IGNORED

What side is your biscuit buttered on?

Dragonslayer

Guest Tinman

Just read this thread, and I'm with Freebird - split in half, put lots of butter in the middle, close it up and grab for seconds.

PS - Tomato gravy???? I've lived in most parts of this great land, and cannot remember tomato gravy for anything breakfast. Poor upbringing, I'm sure.............

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that be Milk Gravy, Sawmill Gravy, Brown Gravy or pan drippings gravy. And do you drown your biscuit, dunk or sop up your gravy.:confused24:

I really prefer the "pan drippings gravy" especially when there is "lard" involved.

Other than that I like the "white gravy".

Drown the sucker, Drown the sucker.

No butter.

BOO

Its not even winter yet, and this comes out....just wait till every one gets bored...:starz:

When I read the first post that was my exact thought. Gonna be a long winter season on this forum.

BOO

Here ya go SilvrT.

ROFL .... thanks ... sourdough? ... or plain ... like a scone? yummmmm I do love those especially just out of the oven after they've sat for about 10 minutes ... dip 'em in my soup ... green pea, French-Canadian pea, beef barley... plain old tomatoe, you name it ... gotta be Campbell's soup tho... now that I am in their commercials LMAO!!!

my side is usualy the one that hits the floor of course allways butter side down.

but i realy split mine then some apple butter or honey. also when in season i split and cover with deer and sauage gravy.

and if your poor nothing like hamburger and beans in the center.

kind of like hardtack meat and beans...

As all of you have so adequately illustrated there are many ways in which a biscuit can be buttered, and just as many ways that one may be ate.

In the world of Biscuitology there are many questions that must be contemplated that drastically affect the taste, texture and size of the proper biscuit. If you are of those that gets your biscuits from a can you probably have not dwelled on this subject.

But for those of you that don't you probably are of a unshakeable opinion of the proper way to prepare, garnish and consume the perfect biscuit.

For instance, how many of you know the exact number of times that biscuit dough should be kneaded to acheive the perfect texture and consistancy?

I for one believe that at the very least a biscuit should be buttered on the bottom of the top side of the biscuit due to the gravitational effect of the direction that melted butter flows after the the two halves of the split biscuit are rejoined for consumption. But, I can entertain the notion that buttering both the bottom of the top and the top of the bottom are equally acceptable.

I think that we are mostly in agreement that it is just wrong to butter the top (except for browning purposes) or the bottom due to the "Butter side down floor flop theory" and the "sticky finger theory"

But In large part the way that you address your biscuit is subject to personal prefference. That too is ok since I don't know of any laws against it.

Now that we have scientifically covered this topic I think it is safe to lay it to rest. At least untill breakfast tomorrow where this subject will be addressed again.

As all of you have so adequately illustrated there are many ways in which a biscuit can be buttered, and just as many ways that one may be ate.

In the world of Biscuitology there are many questions that must be contemplated that drastically affect the taste, texture and size of the proper biscuit. If you are of those that gets your biscuits from a can you probably have not dwelled on this subject.

But for those of you that don't you probably are of a unshakeable opinion of the proper way to prepare, garnish and consume the perfect biscuit.

For instance, how many of you know the exact number of times that biscuit dough should be kneaded to acheive the perfect texture and consistancy?

Well I knead the dough 23 times but it can be done a little less. Also I use Buttermilk for the liquid. On the other hand what the hell do I know, I'm just a dumb carpenter:whistling:

BOO

I for one believe that at the very least a biscuit should be buttered on the bottom of the top side of the biscuit due to the gravitational effect of the direction that melted butter flows after the the two halves of the split biscuit are rejoined for consumption. But, I can entertain the notion that buttering both the bottom of the top and the top of the bottom are equally acceptable.

I think that we are mostly in agreement that it is just wrong to butter the top (except for browning purposes) or the bottom due to the "Butter side down floor flop theory" and the "sticky finger theory"

But In large part the way that you address your biscuit is subject to personal prefference. That too is ok since I don't know of any laws against it.

Now that we have scientifically covered this topic I think it is safe to lay it to rest. At least untill breakfast tomorrow where this subject will be addressed again.

Still think you should find something else to do on your day off.....

When you come to Georgia I'll make you a true southern meal if you like. It's a tad rare for me to do those because I married the Northern born (Yankee) husband from Connecticut
10-4 on that when she get's to Georgia thing, we'll show her what cat's head biscuits are about with all the fixings. She'll be sopping up sorgham syrup, Tupelo Honey and milk gravy like a home growed Georgia cracker.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Sounds like shes allready got the local lingo down.

:farmer:

10-4 on that when she get's to Georgia thing, we'll show her what cat's head biscuits are about with all the fixings. She'll be sopping up sorgham syrup, Tupelo Honey and milk gravy like a home growed Georgia cracker.

:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Sounds like shes allready got the local lingo down.

:farmer:

Yes, I think Annie definitely has her lingo down. According to my husband grits and boiled peanuts are an acquired taste. 10 yrs in the south and he still likes neither.

Its not even winter yet, and this comes out....just wait till every one gets bored...:starz:

No Perfect timing this weekend is Thanksgiving, so biscuits get dunked in gravy on the plate. Who needs butter, when you have gravy

Brad