IGNORED

I'm QUITTING!

SilvrT

I know this is a forum for topics related to motorcycles -but- seems there's a lot more of just plain old "communication" going on as well so.....

I'm quitting smoking! I have set a "butt out" date of next Tuesday. I am on the pills (there's a new product out now) and I've reduced my smoking from a pack a day to less than 1/2 pack a day within 2 weeks.

Anyone out there gone through this or going through this? Any comments / suggestions / or just plain old "communicating" about it you'd like to post?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on quitting!!

I quit chewing after 25 years and it was absolute hell for a couple of months. Then just inconvenient for a couple of months. Now it only bothers me when I drink.

I use a cigar as a crutch. The tobacco is enjoyable, but it makes me stink so badly that I know I won't do it on a regular basis.

Your life insurance rates will go down substantially also.

Good luck. Just think of all the chrome you can buy with the freed up money.

RR

Congratulations on quitting!!

Good luck. Just think of all the chrome you can buy with the freed up money.

RR

Thanks!!! ... the savings will go towards buying a new scoot (prolly a 2nd gen! Now, I know I will get ribbed about this!) wwoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Guest KitCarson
I know this is a forum for topics related to motorcycles -but- seems there's a lot more of just plain old "communication" going on as well so.....

I'm quitting smoking! I have set a "butt out" date of next Tuesday. I am on the pills (there's a new product out now) and I've reduced my smoking from a pack a day to less than 1/2 pack a day within 2 weeks.

Anyone out there gone through this or going through this? Any comments / suggestions / or just plain old "communicating" about it you'd like to post?

Rick you are into one of the hardest things to do....at least it was for me. I tried everything.......gum....patches......several kinds of pills, this went on for a year......the only thing you can do is pick three days out when you will have time off......and lay the damm things down. You will get sick......not feel good.....for about three days......you just have to hang tough and tough it out......then it takes about another month to adjust......you will be nervous......have muscle aches.......a lot of things physically will hang on for about a month.......I do not know for a fact, but several doctors told me that heroin stuff people shoot in their veins is easier to get off of............Hang in there......lay them down....you can do it....you will feel a lot better......all the gum.....patches...pills ......just prolongs the agony......I did that for a year......you have to just lay them down and walk away........ Good Luck Kit

Hey the battle never goes away.....I read your note.....I would like to have six of them right now....one in each nostril.....one in each ear......two in my mouth and lol........it gets better......just never does go away...smell one........gee............

Good luck. I tried the patch way back when. Didn't work. Finally spent 35 bucks back in 91 ( had smoked since 72) and went to one of those mass hypnosis things one night. Walked out, threw away the pack I had (2.5 a day) and never had the desire again. Best 35 bucks I ever spent.

.one in each nostril.....one in each ear......two in my mouth ......

KINKY!!! LOL

Actually, I stopped for about 8 month's back in 1999. Did the pill / patch thing. Yes, the first week or so were tough but I was determined... just like I am now... and after not a very long time, I was quite ok with it. As of my current age, I have been smoking for 46 years. Gawd!!!! that's sickening!

And yes, they say quitting smoking, especially after you've been doing it for many years, is harder than kicking any such habit. So, having said that, why do we have all these "goody-goody's" setting up "safe shoot up" clinics for all the druggies instead of getting them off the drugs? (oh no...another political subject...forget I mentioned it)

I agree with what KitCarson says...I've been a quitter for more than 20 years now. Make up your mind to quit, throw away the last pack, and stick to it. One word of advice...it might not be convenient, but one thing that can help you keep you off is to avoid the places and people who will tempt you. Especially if those people and places involve alcohol. I few drinks and that sweet smell will melt your resolve. Just don't go there.

After a few months, you will get your sense of smell back. Then you will be able to tell who is a smoker and who isn't by the way they smell. Eventually, that smell will be a real stink. GOOD LUCK. Never quit trying to quit!

Rick you are into one of the hardest things to do....at least it was for me. I tried everything.......gum....patches......several kinds of pills, this went on for a year......the only thing you can do is pick three days out when you will have time off......and lay the damm things down. You will get sick......not feel good.....for about three days......you just have to hang tough and tough it out......then it takes about another month to adjust......you will be nervous......have muscle aches.......a lot of things physically will hang on for about a month.......I do not know for a fact, but several doctors told me that heroin stuff people shoot in their veins is easier to get off of............Hang in there......lay them down....you can do it....you will feel a lot better......all the gum.....patches...pills ......just prolongs the agony......I did that for a year......you have to just lay them down and walk away........ Good Luck Kit

Hey the battle never goes away.....I read your note.....I would like to have six of them right now....one in each nostril.....one in each ear......two in my mouth and lol........it gets better......just never does go away...smell one........gee............

I agree 100 per cent, I quit a 100 times maybe 500 times, tried everything. Finally I just quit but I had made up my mind to quit when all the cigarettes were gone in the pack I had at the time. The last cigarette was lite up three different times before it was gone.

We were on our way to dive in some lead mines down by St Louis, after we got there we were invited to the Country Club for dinner and some adult beverages and I figured I was in trouble but I made it through the night and have never had another one. January 1980. Did I want more? You bet, off and on for several years but I made it through.

It's tough, real tough but you can do it. I actually chewed gum, regular gum, which is another nasty habit but I finally quit that too.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Guest ReinyRooster

Quit cold turkey about 22 years ago....made a few half-hearted attempts but really hadn't made up my own mind to quit one day when I started weazin' out of breath one day. Instead of looking at it as an overwhelming task to quit the entire habit, just think of quitting "the next" smoke. Turn down that one cigarette....just one...maybe tell yourself you'll have the next one.....when the time comes for the next one....turn that one down again..and so on. That way your just giving up 1 smoke. Before you know it the day is over without a smoke, then it's a week and so on. If you can just turn down that one smoke....and never have "that one smoke" you got 'er licked.

I quit about a hundred times. It finally took on the 101st try. If at first you don't succeed.... One thing I can say from experience, if you live with a significant other you won't get to spend the savings on your toys. Don't count that money before you have it in your formerly nicotine stained fingers.

Best of luck. The only thing you can do that is better for you than that is to keep your weight in the normal range with exercise.

Been on the pills for 29 days now.....after 4th day it was more "pacifier" something to do habit that nicotine.....Pill "BLOCKS" brain from wanting nicotine....

HAVE NOT had a desire to smoke....two weeks ago set outside of Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge (Deals Gap area) with four other bikers who were smoking..

NO DESIRE...Man really...wife is nurse and four people who work with her used the pills and have not smoked since...

Workin for me really well....IT WILL do the same for you...

George in VA...

I didn't quit, I started living smoke free October 1998.

Ok, that is a hokey way of looking at it, but since some smarty pants pointed out that no one likes a quitter I figured to twist it to I started.

Anyways, it's been 9 years without cigarettes and I still get cravings once in a while. You just have to get used to that part.

:detective:

You're about to find out who is the stongest, you or the habit.

I smoked a pack a day for 24 years and quit 3 times, twice for 9 months and once for 2 years.

I finally quit cold turkey in 87 and have'nt had a drag of a tobacco product since.

It is a matter of mind over matter. It's also the hardest thing that you will ever do.

I hate to have to tell you this, but the first two years are not the hardest. You will have the urge for many years, and finally it will not be something that you will want anymore, but hang in there, it is worth it.

It's great not being controlled by the worst drug out there.

I'll stop here, but could go on.

Be strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Congratulations hope you stick with it.

I quit when I was about 11, my mother caught me and beat the s***t out of me, that seemed to work very well, never did it again.

What pills are you guys taking? My doc suggested it at my 50 yr checkup in August, me & him ain't seen eye to eye for 20 years now (cause of my smoking), till he started riding a bike and we got to talkin about that (a Shadow, so I guess he's ridin). I'm really leaning towards "starting living smoke free" (Freebird:whistling:), been smokin since I was 18. Thanks guys (& gals).

Dan

i tried the gum, no help.

i at some point, had so many patches on me, i looked like an old inner tube!

no go!

then "rattlesnake" got me a prescription for CHANTIX. i believe that is the pill under discussion , here.

i went from 2 1/2 packs a day, to about 1/2 pack a day!

gonna quit, too, one of these days!

just jt

Yeaah, curious - what pill are you talking about? I am seriously (again) thinking about quitting - the smell and taste in my mouth is finally starting to get to me. I started in my 30's - seeing that I have trouble keeping up with running with my dogs - and am up to about pack and a 1/2 a day now.

So, congratulations to you for seriously going this route - having a day picked out - etc. :080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::thumbsup2: