IGNORED

Were any of you into "CBing" when it was cool??

cowpuc

Stardbogs post about "how many of us it takes to change a light bulb" made me laugh but it also brought up another thought..

Do any of you remember the days gone by of CB Clubs and were any of you involved in one?? If memories serves me correct the vintage would have been 70ish..

I was involved in a club in the day.. I had a 23 channel radio in my car with a powermike, had a "Starduster" antenna for the house and I would bring the car radio inside at night and run it off a car battery.. My handle was "Seadog" and my call numbers were KJP9511 - good Lord that was 30 years ago and I still remember those numbers.. Yep,, "this is old Seadog at the corner of walk and dont walk in the big town of banana land,, KJP9511 takin a pause for the cause"... I used to sit up all night yacking away on that babie.. I will NEVER forget the night the wires going from the battery to the radio crossed and grounded out - the house was INSTANTLY filled with burned wire insulation smoke.. My mom woke up and started coughing asking me what was going on... Just crazyyyy..

Later I ran boots and was able to talk skip with people from all over the world.. \

Sound familiar???? It is totally amazing how even though technology has taken us so far it has acutally taken us in a circle hahahahah

'Puc

had a 6 chanel in the car in the 70's and used to change crystals to get other chanels Bigfoot KHG6860 and ya i used to run lots of power moonraker 6's with a mohawk 10 and in the mobil i went to a ranger 2950 with a sweet 16 ya thats 1600 watt's out

and you just do the math on the moonrakers and the mohawk LOL did i have fun:thumbsup2:

I was just a kid in the 70's, but my Dad was into CB'ing and we traveled all the states from Chicago to Florida many times a year back then. However, I did listen intently and picked up the lingo. I also still have his radio from back then and it still works. I've used it on a few car trips in the past 10 years. It is a Sears radio that only has 23 channels. It also has a built in SWR meter, upper/lower side bands, PA and a power mic. He ran big antenna's on our Suburban so we had a very large range. His handle was GrapeStomper. Maybe some of you heard of him back then.

BTW: That was also the era of truck'n. The song Convoy (which I have on my iPod) and movies like Smokey and the Bandit, Gumball Rally, and the movie Convoy.

Yep, had me a cobra 29 mounted in my van and my car, didnt go anywhere without it, it really made the time fly when I was driving anywhere, it drove my wife crazy, all I ever had on was the cb and not the regular radio.......It funny, I hadnt thought about my call sign in years but as soon as I saw the post, it popped in my mind.........

I got started in CB in the early 70's KSF-6365, yep still remember the FCC Numbers. I started with a JC Penny Pinto 23 channel Radio and a whip antenna ran through the bedroom window and tied to the back porch railing powered by an electric train transformer I had. Worked pretty good too and could talk about 10 miles or so. I joined various CB clubs and got my Dad started who spent way too much money on equipment according to my Mother! Well Dad and I are still both into it and I talk skip to him in WV from MS when the conditions are right! Of course we have moved into Sidband communication now! I don't even want to think of all the motorcycles I could have had for the money that I invested over the years in equipment myself! I still get a kick out of talking to people all over the world from my station at the house! Thanks for bringing up the Post!

Dog

Breaker breaker 1-9 Kid Dynamite here headin out from n.Ga.to the ol Lone star state. Are they runnin the chikin coop?

Man do I remember them days! I could not drive now like I did then. I would leave Ga. on Sun. afternoon and deliver to Corsicana Tx. Monday morning. Catch a few winks while waiting to unload-then boogy back to Ga.Of course I was 20 somethin and crazy then.

My dad was way into cb's he had several bases in the house and all the vehicles were equipped with cb's and 75 to 200 watt kickers. there was a 60 foot beam antenna in the back yard we could talk out to about 45 miles. He would talk to people all over the world on side bands. I still have cb's in trucks and pickup's . I inherited half a pickup load of equipment when he died.

Now that would make us ....OLD.... wouldn't it??? :stirthepot: :whistling:... lol ... My handle way back then was Captain Crunch. I was on the road a lot back in the 70's and everyone seemed to pretty much know everyone else. Those really were the good old day's... Haven't gotten on it much in years cause of all the trash I started hearing on the road. I use it now mostly for brief road info or emergencies.

Cheers

Steve

yu'all are a bunch of oldfarts , me too my 1st was a tube type france kit . i got busted by the head of the local civil defense , he made me take the class - d ?? radio operators test and join the civil defense . i cannot remember my call letters rite now , i need to get some more coffee and take my pills :rotfl:

i still have my truckers cb , cobra 29 with a 600 watt linear and a oil filled att. and talk back . my handle was Rat Runner

back then i had to write a test, have my dad co-sign the request for a licence and meet with some FCC guy before i was able to get my licence.xm4198399

my first radio a Brown three chanel A B and C. bought crystals for it and my buddy had a two channel. i worked off a homemade dipole hanging in the maple tree out front.

turned 16 got a car, then came the tube 23 channel lafayette with a 7 foot antenna on the trunk, and joined a CB club and hung out at the local donut shops. after the had a whole bunch of other cb's, then up the 40 channel , then some sidebanders homemade linears etc.

that progressed to an interest in Amateur Radio and got my licence late 70.s, basic, then my advanced licence. now my collection has grown, and my antenna farm is doing well.

VE3SCO

Yeah, I was into CB back in the 60s. Had tube type and crystal CB base and radio shack antenna. got a mobil around '68, but didn't use it much. Always wanted a Navaho base with a Turner Power mike, but went into the army in '69 and by the time I got out in '76 CB was a whole new ballgame with a bazillion people on the airways. back when i was into it there was only a few CBers in Little Rock and I knew almost all of them personally. I didn't like the new crowded CB land that sprang up in the 70s, so i just quit. KCO7659-samson

Breaker, breaker 1-9, Blind-dog in the SUPERDUPER POOPER SCOOPER MOBILE requesting a radio check.......

Yep, been there....done that for years (73-80). Use to run up and down I-5, looking out for "Smokey", etc. Love it....ex-wife HATED it.....or what was it we called them...oh yeah.........the XYL ........ haven't even turned on the CB on the Venture yet.....hmmmm.....maybe I should, I'm having flash backs just writing this.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I drove O T R semi for a whole bunch of years until 1996. Haven't been in one since then. My first radio was a Johnson something or other.

Man the language was foul, but those radios sure got me down the road. Even met a few decent people.

Don't use one now, heck, I think I gave it all away. Thanks for the memories. "This is C R, back at'cha."

Went by the handle of Star Rider in the 70's and the license KFR-4512. I had a 23 channel Midland and 100W kicker. Truckers talked on channel 10 and there were REACT stations all over the US to help folks with phone calls for an emergency. I still carry a 40 channel in my truck and the bike and still go by Star Rider.

Yup - been there - done that.

My fiance at the time (wife after that) drove a 76 Triumph spitfire as did I.

She was CHOCOLATE BAR and I was GREEN PEPPER. Drove all over the place talking on the CB's to each other - good fun and thanks to the OP for bringing back some nice memories!!

WOW!! I'm having severe flashbacks. KQW7646. Central Valley 2513. I can still remember!! :happy65:

Never got into a base station, but ran various radios in my pickups for years. I used to put on lots of miles running between Sacramento and L.A. and talking to, or just listening to, other truckers BS'ing. Kept me awake. It even saved my cookies a couple of times. Once with a blown engine on the top of Donner Pass/I-80 in a snow storm. Thanks for passing a 5 and getting AAA to come up and get me 'Lug Nut'. Later found out his real name was Walter Nutt. Later in years, and a few radios, I ran a HiGain E640 (40 channel SSB) with a Palomar 175 watt bi-linier under the seat. Talked to a radio operator in Queensland Austrailia for over a half and hour when the evening skip rolled in on the west coast.

Those were fun days.......:):):)

10/4 good buddy -=-whats your 20? Yep saw a smokey bout 5 miles back in the north bound lane. You headed south? marker 855? You got my back door--Bowbender got the front door. double nickels? --you got to be kidding --Gonna put the pedal to the metal . Looks like we got us a convoy. KABD5854 Buzzard -- clear and stand by----Buzz