IGNORED

Help with a Old New Rider and Passenger

DwightGA

I am new to this website and new to RSV. 25 years ago when my daughters were born I quit riding. The Girls are married and it was time to return. Two months ago I bought a 2000mm, I have loved the looks, styling and was patient and willing to wait for one to cross my path. Everything that I heard said this was the best ride out there especially for the passenger. Because I was away so long, I took the advice to get my ride skills back so in the last 2 months I have put on about 2,000 miles (city & highway) and feel comfortable with my skills again. However, I have been reading on this site the last couple of days how hard it is to carry a passenger. I am very confused, did I make a mistake or was my research correct? When I get my wife back the bike after 25 years and we lay it down, there may not be a second chance to make a good impression.

The question is this, is it that hard and what are the any tricks?

No, you heard wrong. This bike is wonderful for carrying passengers. Just as always, they need to hold still and not try to do the leaning for you. Your wife will love the ride.

Just remember, this is a big, fairly top heavy bike. Adding your wife, no matter how petite, will make it more top heavy. Be careful when you stop because once it starts going over, you will need to be really strong to bring it back.

I just got back from a weekend trip with my mother as a passenger. It was her first time riding. She loved it.

Welcome to the family. We hope to meet you at some of the rallies/gatherings/M&Es.

RR

Get comfortable first and you should be okay, as mentioned it is a heavy bike, so it needs respect. The slow speed in the parking lots takes a little time to get used too.

Levelling links help this a little but remember it raises the seating position a couple of inches.

Brad

Notice that BradT always wants to get his 2cents in??? But they are all right, A safety course, then some practice alone and after that tell momma that it's now her practice time, yes she needs to practice too so that she becomes an integral part of the riding experience.

Keep in mind that the bike is a machine and will do just what machines do according to what they are supposed to do. We are humans and can do what we please and how we please, and we can, if we want to, change what we do and how we do it at a moments notice. So we are flexible, but the machine is not, so we need to and can adjust to changing conditions. All we need to know is how to change and the benefits of that change, so that's where practice comes in. We create the changes and then adjust accordingly to manage the difference.

I hope that all makes sense.

It is a heavy bike, you know that, with a passenger it is even heavier. But once you get it moving it doesn't feel any different to me than riding solo. Like has been said, you just have to respect how heavy it is and don't put yourself in a position with a passenger (or solo for that matter) where you would need to muscle it around. Always be on relatively flat ground before you put a passenger on. Pointing up hill is OK if the back tire is against a curb, but down hill or side hills are asking for trouble.

I parked on a slight down hill, in a gravel parking spot while riding solo. Had to have someone else get in front and push me out. (in that case having the wife along would have been a good thing, I could have had her get off and push) :whistling:

Most of us have made some modifications to the Venture to improve handeling. Some change the front tire, some add leveling links, I went the route of lowering the front end. After I made the modification, I had to look back to see if my wife was still on. That is how different it felt.

Take your time, continue getting used to the bike. I was a "heck raiser" bar hopping kid and then got off a bike for 10 years. Went out last year, bought the RSTD (heavy / top heavy bike), took the MSF course, watched Ride Like a Pro, then did 3,000 miles on my new bike with a local m/c riding club, then had the wife (who is petite) join me for a ride.

We took it very easy for 3 or 4 rides, and still do as she doesn't ride every weekend with me. You will get used to the bike and your wife, and there will be many happy memories to share. You didn't make a "mistake", enjoy.:thumbsup2:

Keep in mind that the bike is a machine and will do just what machines do according to what they are supposed to do. We are humans and can do what we please and how we please, and we can, if we want to, change what we do and how we do it at a moments notice. So we are flexible, but the machine is not, so we need to and can adjust to changing conditions. All we need to know is how to change and the benefits of that change, so that's where practice comes in. We create the changes and then adjust accordingly to manage the difference.

Not sure if it is good or not,,,,, but I understood all that!!!

:bighug:

Been off a scoot for over 28 years . Last ride was a Yamaha 360 RD , so it was way smaller than this RSV . I jumped on it like it was my lover and haven't stop riding it since . I didn't let my wife on..........Well she wouldn't get on till I got some miles under the scoot to get some experience . Several weeks later , she was on the back . To me , it was harder to hold the scoot up while she mounted than riding 2 up in the parking lot .

I'm 210 lbs and wife is 125 lbs (playing same guys) , riding to up and puliing the BEERCART , NO Problems !

I am having my wife take the driving course though she doesn't drive a scoot , as to learn more on what a driver goes through . Eventually , she will have a trike , so getting her endorsement will come much easier and will learn more .

BEER30

I too took a 25 year sabatical and my prior experience was mostly bigger MX and Trials bikes. I picked up a 93 Venture, and while it was intimidating at first, after taking the MSF riding course and putting a couple thousand miles on her there is nothing like it.

My observations to start 2-up is telling your passenger not to lean. Look over your shoulder in the direction of your turn, and be very centered and still while coming to a stop.

After My wife and I were out a couple of times, she became very aware of the points mentioned and it is now very enjoyable for the both of us.

Hope you enjoy your scoot as much as we enjoy ours.

DJ:thumbsup2:

Notice that BradT always wants to get his 2cents in??? But they are all right, A safety course, then some practice alone and after that tell momma that it's now her practice time, yes she needs to practice too so that she becomes an integral part of the riding experience.

NO!

:sign20:

My last 3 bikes have been '83 Wing, '85 VR, and now an '87 VR. It was 5 years between the Wing and the '85 VR. I had trouble getting used to the weight and top heaviness of it. Once I did, it was great...even 2 up. I test rode a new RSV back in June and had the wife on the back with me. I am a slender guy, 5' 11", small boned, weigh appx 150. She's 5' 10" and weighs a few lbs more than me. I had no "real" problems with balance on the '07 RSV, even at slow, parking lot speeds and manouevers.

What I do recall though, when I was still learning the balance thing with my '85 is that for a while, I was a bit scared of it (the top heaviness) and found that it took me quite a while to overcome that. Once I did and gained confidence, I could go just about anywhere with that scoot and absolutely loved it in the twisties, even riding 2 up. I guess what it all boils down to is getting to know the characteristics of your scoot and how to counteract, becoming one with it and having confidence.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ and the MSF courses.

I agree with most of what's been stated but THIS is the BEST advice. The Venture is naturally a bit top heavy and a passenger adds to that. You're on the right track by getting miles under your belt first. Another point: Your rider needs to know how to be a good passenger, understanding looking & leaning, mounting & dismounting (No smart comments out there! :no-no-no: )

Low speed maneuvering is where you'll notice the passenger most. MSF class will help, and the ride like a pro videos give a lot of great info and practice exercises to help you get comfortable with those.

I did the same as you after about 20 years off. Even after a good few thousand miles we took it easy for the first couple of rides together. At this point it's really comfortable riding two up. My wife who didn't like to ride at all before the Venture is now the one looking forward to and planning a lot of our trips! :happy65:

Good luck and ride safe! :happy34:

First, congrats on picking the "right" RSV! :cool10:

The passenger doesn't add much to the equation if they sit and lean as they are supposed to. On and off only after you tell them to. Most of the time when I let mine off I just put it on the stand, which is how I kill the bike anyway.

If you aren't running the smaller MT90-16 front tire, get one. It improves the parking lot and slow speed maneuvering and is worth the investment. Just remember to do some easy riding until you get used to the difference.

Guest KitCarson

I heard FreeBird say something the other day about standing in front of a bus!! I do not mind that.......I am in trouble all the time anyway.....but seriously if you are a new rider think about these things.

We are all human......love these bikes and love to talk about everything, such as linked brakes.....helmets.........options.......accessories......you name it we talk about it....this can get very confusing to a new rider, so ......maybe if you think about it......and work daily to train yourself this will help you.

There is no excuse to hit a car making a left hand turn in front of you, no none at all, it is your own fault, I do not care what the car did, it is your fault, you should have been paying attention more closely, looking up the road, down that side road.....if bushes or an obstruction was at the corner, you should have slowed down, even came to a stop if you had to...coming up to an intersection or 4 way stop.....or the ones I dislike 4 ways but two way stop......hey do not trust cars.....slow it down just a bit, be observant, if one of them has their nose sticking out.....even if you have made eye contact.....do not trust them......expect the unexpected..all the time........not saying to be a Grandma........just saying....train yourself.

Learn to listen to sounds.....to watch front tires of a vehicle......if they are signaling.....maybe they are going to turn , maybe they are not........learn to look and watch for shadows.......you can sometimes see a shadow, such as a dog running from behind a bush.....sometimes.......just learn to watch for anything and everything....become a professional defensive driver.....enjoy the motorcycle for its intended purpose.....fun...relax....never ever be in a hurry.........if you are upset that day.....or maybe do not feel good......might be a good day to sit it out. Learn to watch the road just like the cars...see a little gravel or sand...simply avoid it.....see oil or anti-freeze at the intersection in the left track...just go to the right track.....sounds like a lot huh....you can do it....train yourself.

As for handling a bike.........take it easy....learn what it is capable of , and what you are capable of and stay in those areas. As for riding two up...this is always a little different.......and will never go away.....simply is a different feel....bike responds different.....brake use is different.......you just learn to plan to stop a little sooner... Motorcycle safety classes or if you do not have time for them......there are many tapes and sources you can get almost anywhere that will help, but a good course is worth its weight in gold.

Okay I will shut up now........just wanted to put my two cents in.....Motorcycle riding is to me one of the joys of life. I see all kinds of things......hear all kind of things.........and it all comes right back to me. If I do not control the bike......or run into a car....it is my own fault....I should have been more observant. It saddens me sometimes to see on the news about a death on another motorcycle........99.99999.99 percent of all this can be avoided by doing the speed limit.......and above all training yourself to be observant........of all things.

Note: Took my own advice today........ordered a modulator for the Venture-anything you can do-can only help.

Respectfully:

Kit-the used to be maniac-till someone tapped me on the shoulder and said......if you want to enjoy this and live......listen to me.

Welcome to the site, Dwight! You will find a whole new "family" here who love to ride and love to ride to meet and eats! Oh, and we all love ice cream too!!!:fnd_(16): :bighug:

I wanted to invite you to the South Carolina Meet and Eat here in Columbia, on Saturday, October 27. The link to the thread is: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14407

This thread is listed under the Meet and Eats for the South Caorlina Meet and Eat. We would love to have you and your wife join us. It would be a great opportunity to meet some more Venture Riders!

Ride safe,

Bobbie

There is no excuse to hit a car making a left hand turn in front of you, no none at all, it is your own fault, I do not care what the car did, it is your fault,

Kit, I really enjoy reading your posts. You have a lot of good stuff to say so don't ever stop. However, I just can't agree with you on this one and I felt the need to voice that. For the most part, you're right but there are times when it is totally unavoidable and in those cases, it is not "our" fault. Sure, we need to be accountable for our own actions (or should I say lack of actions) but a person just can't possibly anticipate everything beforehand. I just watched a movie last night called Next with Nicolas Cage. Now, if we had that ability, then your statement would be 100% true.