IGNORED

In your opinion, what are the top five states to motorcycle in?

Sunrayman

I realize this is subject to varied points of view, but perhaps there will be a consensus on a few states which are favorites for motorcycling in. Please explain WHY you think the states you chose are the best and include any EVIDENCE or PHOTO's to support your valued opinions!

Thanks! I'm lookng for a few new places to travel this springtime!

Sunrayman:scratchchin:

Gotta gos:

Colorado (Pike's Peak, Mount Evans, Trail Ridge Road, Powder Canyon, Million Dollar Highway, Independence Pass... too much to list)

Montana (Beartooth Highway, Going To The Sun Highway, everything in between)

Wyoming (Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, Wind River Canyon)

Then there are:

Arkansas (At least the northwest corner! Seriously nice riding.)

North Carolina (Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala, Blue Ridge Parkway, and much more...)

Tennessee (Tail of the Dragon plus...)

Plus:

West Virginia (Lots of small roads between KY and the Blue Ridge)

Virginia (Blue Ridge Parkway, plus...)

Kentucky (Lots of nice stuff scattered around the State)

Indiana (Yes Indiana - The southern third has some fun roads and it's close, what with me being in the middle and all.)

Northern Georgia was nice.

Wisconsin - Door county was pretty, though not really curvy or anything.

Michigan has some pretty places.

Nope, sorry. Can't do just five.

Pictures: My web site. Look around. Lots of pics.

I don't think in terms of States as much as roads. My all time favorite road is the Beartooth Parkway from Red Lodge, Montana toward Yellowstone, then a left on the Chief Joseph Highway. Can't ride this route enough. If I'm within two States, I'm going.

CaliforniaI Central coastal highways is gorgeous area. Lake Tahoe + Carson City NV area too

Montana-going to sun hiway, all around Kalspell, yellowstone area, big sky country.

Idaho around Sandpoint, Moscow, Bonners Ferry, sun Valley are all great areas

Alberta-Through Banff, Jasper and into the eastern Kootenays is gorgeous!

BC -Around Nelson BC only an hour north of the US border are great roads and almost no traffic- Here are some pics from last years Kootenays Rally in Nelson.. http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/KruisnTheKootenays2009

Brian

Edited by friesman
added Kootenays pic link

1. West Virginia

2. Virginia

3. North Carolina

4. Pennsylvania

5. Kentucky

Few people can argue with West Virginia, but Virginia has an incredibly high number of roads that go on for miles and miles without interruption.

North Carolina, especially the western part from Asheville to the Cherohala Skyway.

Pennsylvania gets a bad rap from people because of the poor condition of some roads. Yet it's full of country roads with beautiful vistas and lots of miles. Cute towns spring up along the way. The south central part is good, and so is the northern central part of PA, where the "Grand Canyon" is.

Eastern Kentucky from I-75 east to the Virginia line is also great for riding.

I live in central Maryland. The roads in Frederick County and to the west are excellent for a beautiful day's ride. I would put my home State of Maryland in the top 10 as well, since I know these roads and ride them all the time.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

i realize this is subject to varied points of view, but perhaps there will be a consensus on a few states which are favorites for motorcycling in. Please explain why you think the states you chose are the best and include any evidence or photo's to support your valued opinions!

1. Colorado

2. Utah

3. New mexico

4. Arizona

5. North carolina

6. Virginia

7. Idaho

8. Washington

9. Maine

10. Texas/arkansas

Did'ja know, there are more motorcycles registered in Minnesota than California? The back roads offer relaxed cruising with beautiful scenery and sparse cage traffic. The northern half of the state is blanketed with huge evergreen forests and many lakes that have resort cafe's. You'll almost always meet folks on the road no matter what route you choose and of course,,,Minnesota "nice" prevails w/ a "wave"....It's not what'cha ride here, it's that you ride. There's no hassles here unless you start it. Our ride time is limited so,,you see a LOT of bikes all summer. I live on a 2 lane state hwy and the amount of bikes passing my home daily is mind boggling................

Renne......

I realize this is subject to varied points of view, but perhaps there will be a consensus on a few states which are favorites for motorcycling in. Please explain WHY you think the states you chose are the best and include any EVIDENCE or PHOTO's to support your valued opinions!

1. Texas. My proof is from this past weekend. I request others to show similar recent proof. A state is good for riding only if you can ride in it.

QED:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4302465766_151b3e912f.jpg

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Dave

1 WEST VIRGINIA

2 GEORGIA

3 NORTH CAROLINA

4 SOUTH CAROLINA

5 WEST VIRGINIA Gotta come back home!!:confused24:

:doh::missingtooth::rotf::rotf::rotfl::rotfl::sign killer dude:

I would say only 3 states

Smoky's

Rocky's

Ozark's

Thats good enough for me, whatever they call those states

Edited by stardbog

Since you said you wanted to get ideas for new places to ride, I say if you get on and ride until you have covered the whole world, YOU will find your favorite place to ride!!!! And guess what?! You'll probably want to do it all over again when your done!!! That's my plan. However, I personally loved the trip to NADA tunnel in KENTUCKY. That road and all the ones in and around that area were beautiful. Planning another trip into Kentucky, Virginia, and pssibly West Virginia tis summer. Here theres some great riding in those states too!!!:banana:

Big Mike:Venture:

I would be hard pressed to name just 5 states as my favorite because most that I've ridden in have something to offer. I guess these would be at the top of the list though:

Vermont

Arkansas

Colorado

North Carolina

Georgia

Tennessee

Oops...that was six.

Also in Canada....the Banff area would be hard to beat.