IGNORED

WHY ??? did you change your exhaust

cb1313

I changed my pipes because they were too loud for long trips! (I bought the bike used with aftermarket pipes on it.) Don't know what they were but they looked great with a downturn at the ends and idling or around town, they had a nice throaty V-8 sort of sound. The noise, however, really got to me on the highway after a couple of hours. Changed them for some used stock pipes - did not notice any power difference but the "whine" is a little more evident!

Ross

I haven't changed mine yet but will someday. I wasn't a big fan of louder pipes until I bought an Ultra Classic with pipes. The louder pipes are somewhat of a safety issue - people hear you and know you are there. That will be the main reason I go to louder pipes.

I've always been a fan of deep sounding pipes, so I put on a set of Road Glide mufflers. After several long trips, I switched back to the stock pipes with Tour Deluxe tips. For me (and wife), the loud mufflers were too annoying.

Now I can hear when something goes amiss on the bike.

I put Khromewerks on, liked the sound of them when I first heard them on Riderduke's ride.

But only did this after two highway incidents, both times I was in the left lane staying with traffic, even with the driver's door and the women (sorry but both times women), just started moving in on me, escaped by downshifting to 4th and closed the gap. They whipped their vehicles back into the right lane. Both times with stock pipes.

Since then, no issue with cagers moving in on me, they look at us now when we are side by side.

We have been on long trips with these pipes and neither one of us even thought about having the OEM pipes back on.

I changed because I was tired of having to be the first bike in the group to start. Otherwise, I couldn't hear it over my friends' bikes. I just wanted a wee bit more sound, so I went with stock Road Kings. Plus, they were free.

They didn't help the bike's performance, but they helped mine. I really didn't get how much more power I had at high RPMs until I could hear the bike roar like an F-1 race car. Now I drive it much better... not like a V-Twin but how it was intended.

I am tempted to swap back to stealth mode, because I do like driving through coast plains and not frightening the birds off before I can see them.

@RossKean - I wear ear plugs on any sort of trip. I did with the stock pipes to increase endurance, and I'd recommend good plugs on any long trip. I like these:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-White/dp/B0015WNZBI/ref=pd_cp_e_1]Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs[/ame]

Dave

After riding my Shadow with straight pipes for about 6 years, I just could not get used to the quiet ride of the stock venture muffs. I went to Road King pipes then drilled out both baffles and the sound is great. No performance enhancements what so ever. But the sound when you romp on it is perfect. At highway speeds it's not much louder than stock. Exactly what I was looking for.

I changed because I was tired of having to be the first bike in the group to start. Otherwise, I couldn't hear it over my friends' bikes. I just wanted a wee bit more sound,

Dave

I too drilled out my stock exhaust since I had to be the first to start. The other brand bikes always made it where I could not tell if mine was running. I actually released the clutch once to pull out in traffic and the bike was not running. :confused07:

Since I have drilled mine...it covered some of the whine up and I can tell mine is running around those other brand bikes.

I may go to bubs or Krome works in the future, maybe when the funds are availble.

I changed because I was tired of having to be the first bike in the group to start. Otherwise, I couldn't hear it over my friends' bikes. I just wanted a wee bit more sound, so I went with stock Road Kings. Plus, they were free.

They didn't help the bike's performance, but they helped mine. I really didn't get how much more power I had at high RPMs until I could hear the bike roar like an F-1 race car. Now I drive it much better... not like a V-Twin but how it was intended.

I am tempted to swap back to stealth mode, because I do like driving through coast plains and not frightening the birds off before I can see them.

@RossKean - I wear ear plugs on any sort of trip. I did with the stock pipes to increase endurance, and I'd recommend good plugs on any long trip. I like these:

Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs

Dave

Hey Dave, thank for this info. I'm going to try these plugs out.

I've got RoadHouse mufflers on mine. It has a nice deep tone , not too loud. Still have the stock mufflers. They were took off when it was new. When you get 2 (v4's)bikes that sound pretty much the same riding the interstate at 70-80 mph, they give out a very good sound. Sound like a B52 bomber. I noticed this a while back when Footsie and I were coming back from Savannah, GA.

WHY ??? did you change your exhaust

Why and did it help in preformance ? Not looking for louder pipes.

cb

When I got my "new to me" '06 Midnight which was essentially brand new with 1300 km's on it, I just had to start the "customizing" process ... adding the RK's was one of them. Glad I did... love the sound of them.

Performance change? ... only in my mind when I crank it on .. :D

Hey Dave, thank for this info. I'm going to try these plugs out.

You are quite welcome. I very much like them. They muffle very loud sounds, including pipes and wind at speed. But, they can let me hear spoken words too. I don't take them out for short stops like refueling. The "baby blues" work just right for my wife's smaller ear canals.

Dave

When I first looked at my Venture I almost didn't buy it because of the OEM exhaust pipes. I had no use for the looks or the sound of them.

I put the Baron's 4-2-4's on the scoot and never looked back. Love the roar of that V-4. The bike sounds great. If I wanted to hear a sewing machine going down the road I would have purchased a Wing or BMW.

Boomer.....who they hear coming and going.:cool10:

When I first looked at my Venture I almost didn't buy it because of the OEM exhaust pipes. I had no use for the looks or the sound of them.

I put the Baron's 4-2-4's on the scoot and never looked back. Love the roar of that V-4. The bike sounds great. If I wanted to hear a sewing machine going down the road I would have purchased a Wing or BMW.

Boomer.....who they hear coming and going.:cool10:

Ditto the above. These pipes sound great and once you get to speed the sound levels out somewhat. Still convers the whine to a small degree. No preformance change but it sure sounds nice when I twist that throttle. Pic's of mine added.

Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs

Dave

I agree with the need to wear ear plugs but can't find any that I really like.

They are either uncomfortable or cut out too much sound. It appears the sound reduction on these plugs is about what I'm looking for.

How's the comfort?

I agree with the need to wear ear plugs but can't find any that I really like.

They are either uncomfortable or cut out too much sound. It appears the sound reduction on these plugs is about what I'm looking for.

How's the comfort?

When they are seated well, I don't feel them for 4-5 hours. But, eventually my ear canals get irritated... they are foreign objects. Then I switch to the soft foam ones for a gas tank, and can put them back in at the next stop.

But they need to be all the way in or else the stems can touch the helmet ear pads. I moisten them and pull my ears out to enlarge the canal, and they slide in all the way.

Dave