IGNORED

Motorkote comments and tracking??

Now that I have a Carbon_One adapter I'll be doing it that way, too!

Aren't you in Texas? What's with this liter stuff? :Laugh: Just kidding you! Actually, 3.5L (which is almost 3.7 Qts) should put it in the site glass. People here that have changed their oil more times than me can probably tell you better but to get it halfway on the site glass I think I have about 8 ozs (.25 Qt or .24L :D ) left in the gallon jug.

The lift adapter is also good for cleaning chrome. :)

Regarding the 3.5L, I was just reading numbers out of the manual, which is in liters (litres?). But yeah, the 3.5L seems to be a slight overfill. I guess I'll find out tonight, since I plan to change the oil and put in my Motorkote. :happy65:

Dave

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this will open me up to scorn, and rightly so. But...

How do you change the oil?

Or, more appropriately, how do you add the oil?

The reason I ask is that I have been warming the engine, removing the bolt, letting it flow until nothing is draining, and putting the bolt back on. Then I'll add the amount the manual says is required (3.5L). I've noted this seemed to put the oil level too high, and now I read that less oil than specified is required.

So, how are you adding oil? Do you put in... 3L... or something... then letting it sit and checking the level? Add some more, check the level, etc? How long do you wait before adding more?

Or, am I mis-interpreting how you are adding oil?

I just got my Motorkote today (came Saturday, but the office was closed, redelivered today) and I want to change my oil. I might have gotten away with overfilling before, but if I am now adding 8oz on top of overfilling... !

Advice wanted, scorn abided,

Dave

Dave, my 06 RSTD only takes 3 qts ,w/filter, of oil to get it about the halfway mark. After draining it, I put in 3 qts. Hold it level to check and off I go. I think there was a post some time back not to fill it all the way up, due to oil residue getting into the airboxes. I'm also in with ya on the motorkote, if it blows up or comes apart, oh well.

The only things that I (may) do differently than you is set the kickstand on a piece of 2x4 and turn the forks to the right to get the bike more level and after it's drained I'll stand it up by hand to be sure it's drained well. When adding, I pour in about 3.5 QT's then go from there. You shouldn't have to wait long for it to settle.

And according to Motorkote you don't leave out any oil; you add the 8 oz's in on top of the full amount of oil.

I use 2 - 2x4's ... the bike is almost perfectly level...just enuf "off-balance" towards the kickstand side to keep it standing on it's own.

Today, I have read every post in this thread. I saw the thread before but never read it... don't know why. I am excited!!! I am ordering some MotorKote tonight!

By the time it arrives, I will be due for an oil change. I will add my findings to this thread once I've done the change and added the MotorKote and put on a few miles. I am very eager to see the results.

Guys from Canada that have ordered this product... what did you choose as a shipping type? (seems a bit confusing to me but holy cow!!! $27.50 for shipping????)

Edited by SilvrT

Dave, my 06 RSTD only takes 3 qts ,w/filter, of oil to get it about the halfway mark. After draining it, I put in 3 qts. Hold it level to check and off I go. I think there was a post some time back not to fill it all the way up, due to oil residue getting into the airboxes. I'm also in with ya on the motorkote, if it blows up or comes apart, oh well.

Yup, my memory is off on the amount. I always end up in the center of the glass, just forgot how much.

Should have my Motorkote tomorrow.

Yup, my memory is off on the amount. I always end up in the center of the glass, just forgot how much.

Should have my Motorkote tomorrow.

I'd never changed the filter before last night. I've been alternating with the dealer on oil changes / maintenance, but I had a couple filters and went for it. Holy cow the filter was on TIGHT!

Anyways, the wife was using the computer, so I didn't get to check feedback before starting. I put in about 3.5L and the oil was just at the top line, or maybe even above. I thought I would be safe-ish, since the manual calls for 3.7L when you replace the filter cartridge. With the Motorkote, I am hyper full.

Should I let some oil out? If so, should I use the drain plug or maybe siphon some out via the filler cap? Whatchu think?

Dave

I'd never changed the filter before last night. I've been alternating with the dealer on oil changes / maintenance, but I had a couple filters and went for it. Holy cow the filter was on TIGHT!

Anyways, the wife was using the computer, so I didn't get to check feedback before starting. I put in about 3.5L and the oil was just at the top line, or maybe even above. I thought I would be safe-ish, since the manual calls for 3.7L when you replace the filter cartridge. With the Motorkote, I am hyper full.

Should I let some oil out? If so, should I use the drain plug or maybe siphon some out via the filler cap? Whatchu think?

Dave

Some folks will probably say to not worry about it as any excess will probably come out of the breather tubes, BUT if it were me, personally I would go ahead and let some out via the drain plug (for ease) just to put it in spec. I would see no reason to risk damaging components by having too much oil in there... Just my :2cents:

As far as the filter being tight - I use a torque wrench and an oil-filter socket to put my filter on and when I have changed it it was difficult to get off... For me, I just have a hard time getting a good grip on the filter that allows me acceptable leverage. The first time I had changed my oil & filter, (the P.O. had it done by a dealer) and I ended up using a set of large arc-joint pliers to get a good grip on the filter, and even that was tough. I don't know if they didn't put oil on the O-ring or if if a gorilla put the filter on but yea, it was tight...

As far as the filter being tight - I use a torque wrench and an oil-filter socket to put my filter on and when I have changed it it was difficult to get off... For me, I just have a hard time getting a good grip on the filter that allows me acceptable leverage. The first time I had changed my oil & filter, (the P.O. had it done by a dealer) and I ended up using a set of large arc-joint pliers to get a good grip on the filter, and even that was tough. I don't know if they didn't put oil on the O-ring or if if a gorilla put the filter on but yea, it was tight...

heh... mine was tight too (the OIL FILTER!) the first time so, after nothing else worked, I drilled a big hole thru it, stuck a prybar thru the hole and loosened it that way.

Then, after all drained, new filter, new oil, running the engine up, checking the oil, put my tools away, etc, etc... I pulled the drain pan out and emptied it and... OMG!!! what are all those metal filings??? I freaked....thought they come out of the engine... and then I remembered drilling the hole in the filter....:rotf: :rotf: